Sign in to follow this  
CaptDennison

Scenery problem in FS9

OK, I know nobody flies FS9 but I do. My old computer took a dump, and I got another one. I am building my FS9 back again, and have suddenly encountered an issue that I can find no answer for. I am NOT too far into the rebuild, but I do not wish to dump and start again.\

So the problem is fairly simple I hope. I run FS9 with sliders to FULL, everything set to MAX.

ALL was going good, but suddenly, instead of great looking sharp textures as far as the eye could see, I am now getting the POPPING into sharp details, an area around my aircraft that is basically in a PLUS sign type pattern Several squares x Several squares, the outsides of which are far less sharp until I fly over them, then they pop up and the ones behind my get less sharp. I have changed no settings, I was thinking it was a scenery I added in, but it exists now world wide.

ANYONE who can help me on this, I would really be thankful to.

Probably a memory issue - when FS starts working hard, you get blurries, pop-ups, sound problems. Could also be hard disk defragmentation. You could also reduce the number of aircraft in your hangar, pre-loading a lot of them into the selection scren seems to hit FS performance as well.

Otherwise I can only advise that you should delve into the mysteries of tweaking, starting with the config tips pinned at the top of this forum: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/forumdisplay.php?5-FS-2002-2004-General-Discussion

Unfortunately, this does happen - you go to bed with a perfect setup and boom, next morning you have a nasty issue. Happens to me all the time ;)

FS tweaking is voodoo science.

Try these settings - I've been 'tweaking' these for years, but these are the ones I have been living with for a long time now, and mostly I get sharp textures (with a fairly high-end PC), but it's always variable. Mountain ranges are never that good for instance. Back up the fs9.cfg file you have now, of course. The settings work for me, but This is AYOR! No harm can be done if you've copied your own cfg file first and can put it back if necessary (or just delete the FS9.cfg file and allow it to be rebuilt automatically next time you start FS9)...

The fs9.cfg file is here in Windows 7:

C:\Users\YOUR USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FS9

or Google to find the location in other O/Ss.

There is no 100% agreement on some of these values. Some people swear by one settings, others by something different...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

[DISPLAY]
UPPER_FRAMERATE_LIMIT=60
TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=25600
RUNWAY_LIGHTS_SURFACE_SCALAR=1.0
RUNWAY_LIGHTS_VASI_SCALAR=1.3
RUNWAY_LIGHTS_APPROACH_SCALAR=1.25
RUNWAY_LIGHTS_STROBE_SCALAR=1.4
TextureMaxLoad=10

[TERRAIN]
TERRAIN_ERROR_FACTOR=95.000000
TERRAIN_MIN_DEM_AREA=10.000000