Sign in to follow this  
k1fox

Realair's Duke

Hey Simmers. I recently got back into Realair's piston Duke (V2) and I must say that it's a nicely simulated aircraft; I appreciate the work they have put into it as well as it's fast speed. However, I do notice that the Turbine Duke is way more popular. There are more reviews and discussions on forums. I have the first version which I used a few times a few years ago on my last system. Is version 2 of the Turbine definitely worth upgrading to? And what else would I fly to rival its speed when im duked out - A Pilatus or King Air? :Tounge: . Don't think I can go back to anything to much slower after jumping back in this lol.

I recently acquired the v2 duke and to be frank, it's utterly amazing.  I can't see myself getting duked out anytime soon.  It's just a great plane to fly.  It's climbs out like a raped ape and makes mountain departures a snooze, which I just love.  

The only other plane I have that rivals it's speed and aggressive climbing ability is the carenado TBM 850.    The TBM, although faster in cruise does not have the same climb potential.  The TBM to me isn't quite as nice to fly but it's still not bad at all.  There is also a mod available to put the GTN into the TBM which is a must for me.  Though the duke v2 has dual GTN capability, pure bliss.   

The PC12 has a larger capacity, if you are flying FSE.  And is also a great plane to fly, although I really don't consider it to be in the same class of aircraft.  I haven't got any king air to comment on.

My opinion, get it, it's a brilliant aircraft that I feel realair absolutely nailed.  

I never flew the V1 T-Duke, but I can assure you that the v2 is a wonderful aircraft. I got the GTN750 installed and that's an amazing combination. I've got the piston Duke, but since I've got the T-Duke, I actually never used it anymore...

If you're looking for the next step, a King Air would be great addition, but also the Majestic Dash8 is a wonderful aircraft, awesome graphics as well as systems.

Another option would be to get one of the PMDGs, the 737, or 777 (and hopefully soon, the 747 v2), is again a nice step up from the Dash and if you're really looking for ultimate speed and complex procedures, early this month FSL released a new version of it's Concorde X. It's pretty complex, but a joy to fly! I dont think there's anything around with more speed, or buttons to push. :P

Cheers!

Maarten

The Turbine Duke will keep you on your toes - tons of power - easy to over speed. It's actually not very fast at altitude because of its vmo speed of 198kias. It will do about 250/260 KTAS at FL250. A king air 200 with mods will do 320 KTAS at 260. The TBM 850 about the same, the latest TBM 900 will do 330 KTAS at 260.

You can actually get Realair's v2 Legacy (the turbocharged one) into the lower flight levels and go faster than the T Duke hehe

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I agree that the Turbine Duke is an amazing aircraft, arguably the best turbine GA twin for FSX and even better with the GTN-750. The detail is amazing and its systems are amazingly well replicated. Personally it has become one of my most flown aircraft and I have no doubt that if you enjoy the piston Duke you will also enjoy this - perhaps even more.

Thanks for the replies guys. This has to be the most loved plane for the Flight Sim community. Looking forward to getting the new one after doing a few flights with V1 again.

Cockpit night lighting is a big negative, the only negative for me. ( I like flying at night and to have options with backlighting and dome all controlled by what I want not only 1 option ) Everything else about the V2 Duke and Turbine is flawless.

The only  thing  that  a  issue  with mine  is  the  taxi speed, need to have  the brakes  on whilst  taxing  other  wise its like driving  a  f1  around the  taxiways:)

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Hi!

One big answer is unfortunately still missing!

Is no one able to say is it worth to upgrade?Where are the differences- Version1/ Version2?

Scott

The only  thing  that  a  issue  with mine  is  the  taxi speed, need to have  the brakes  on whilst  taxing  other  wise its like driving  a  f1  around the  taxiways:)

Even with brakes on my still move forward.

ASUS Maximus VIII Hero Alpha

Intel Core i7 6700K 4.5GHz

Corsair Vengeance Black LPX 32GB

Asus STRIX GTX 1080

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD

Graphically it's a lot nicer

Has GTN support and native P3D support

For me it's worth it

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Graphically it's a lot nicer

Has GTN support and native P3D support

For me it's worth it

+1 for that.

I wouldn't have thought it was possible to make the V1 Turbine Duke much better, but Real Air have succeeded in that. The V2 Turbine Duke, in terms of realism and systems replication, is probably the GA equivalent of the Majestic Q400 - an absolutely excellent aircraft. There are long lists of the many changes that Real Air have made on the vendors sales page for anyone who wants to know the details.

Bill

Even with brakes on my still move forward.

If you have a reasonably high fuel load (half to full) the Duke will not move at idle power, and  will not creep forward IF you pull the condition lever back to near the lowest point. The condition lever acts as an idle throttle boost and should be set low on the ground. Please have a read of the flying guide which explains all of this in detail!

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

The condition lever acts as an idle throttle boost and should be set low on the ground. Please have a read of the flying guide which explains all of this in detail!

I  have  my condition levers  nearly  in reverse   and  still need the brakes  applied or  else  its  a f1 :)

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

I  have  my condition levers  nearly  in reverse   and  still need the brakes  applied or  else  its  a f1 :)

...then it must be your power levers not being at zero thrust. You can check this by temporarily disabling your joystick (controls menu) then press the standard F1 key which forces absolute idle (zero thrust). I can assure you that if the condition lever is right back to the first white mark and the fuel load is half to full, you should not see any creep.

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page