Sign in to follow this  
Goates100

P3D v3.1 OOM

I have been mightly impressed with p3d v3 and 3.1 thus far. I have been running both since the launch of v3 and not had any issues at all, simming has been about flying not tweaking, which has been great. Unfortunately very recently OOM's have started appearing. Now I thought this may have been because I was starting to push things too far, but I haven't made any significant changes in my scenery or graphics settings recently.

Anyway I decide to monitor my vram usage and for some reason the errors are happening when I still haave 400-500mb in vas left. So it is not my vas usage that has increased but for some weird reason I don't appear to have as much to use. The sim mdoesn't do its usual bing bong noise either, presumably beecause I am not actually near the 4gb limit. Any ideas as to what may have caused this sudden change and any ideas on a fix?

Thanks

Did by any chance you installed FTX Vector... ?

Nope its the one Orbx product I have stayed away from after reading the issues with it. When monitoring I have noticed that I am still using the same VAS as I was previously but the VAS limit seems to have reduced to 3.6/7gb rather than 4gb.

I have similar situation but in FSX. VAS crashes the sim but the memory monitoring programs show .5gb still avail just before the crash. Not sure how to get around this premature limit besides keep VAS lower still.

I'd go back to what you had just before you started getting OOM's. Something has changed in your setup. Only you can determine what. You could try deleting the shaders, delete the prepar3d.cfg file and lastly rename the dll.xml file.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Anyway I decide to monitor my vram usage and for some reason the errors are happening when I still haave 400-500mb in vas left. So it is not my vas usage that has increased but for some weird reason I don't appear to have as much to use. The sim mdoesn't do its usual bing bong noise either, presumably beecause I am not actually near the 4gb limit. Any ideas as to what may have caused this sudden change and any ideas on a fix?

It is a wrong assumption to assume you won't run out of VAS with 400-500MB's of VAS remaining. I've done it. After a long flight, say from Chicago to Dulles International (FlightBeams KIAD HD) and the weather is nasty things are going great during the descent until the final approach. Then my VAS fluctuates wildly from 900 MB's to 300 MB's to 600 MB's depending on the situation. If you have high P3D settings, high autogen, a weather program like ASN, descending into an area where there's a lot of eye-candy (like KIAD-HD), then don't expect your VAS to stay all of the time between 400 and 500 MB's. For an instant it will drop to 200 MB's but recover and go back to 500 MB's. You may not see it as you're busy looking elsewhere. I've seen this in live action and it gets to be very frustrated as I just completed a great 2 hour flight and I'm descending into a nasty weather situation and landing at a neat airport. When I see these situations, I turn off ASN and I might even turn off autogen just so I can complete the flight. But, is this the way of flight simulation? Absolutely not! Everyone wants to turn on their eye-candy (or else why did you buy it?) and you want to make some challenging situations.

You are not giving us any information as to what you were doing before the OOM. Were you on a 10 hour flight with ASN enabled and flying the PMDG 777 and descending into a payware (eye-candy) airport with high autogen and high P3D/Video card settings? Was your system overclocked to the max? There are just too many variables to determine exactly what causes an OOM but we are positive it was caused by running out of VAS. But we are not certain what is needed to stop OOM's. Just reduce P3D/Video Card settings or do we also have to disable any commercial weather program, fly a default aircraft, turn off autogen and shadows? What else?

But that's where you can investigate this yourself. I have accomplished many flight between Chicago and KIAD in the PMDG 777 and found that I can usually land with around 400 MB's of VAS if I turn off ASN and disable autogen. Not all of the time but "usually". Since I monitor VAS with the fsuipc.log, I have a desktop icon that leads directly to the log. I can then immediately open up the log and review it. I might make some comments or indicate what I was flying and what other addons were running (like ASN). I'll then save it as something like KORD_KIAD_PMDG777.log. But this is how we investigate as not all systems are the same or set up the same so you have to investigate YOUR situation and try to find out why you are suffering from OOM's.

Hopefully, one of these days when we have almost unlimited VAS for P3D (only in a 64 bit P3D on a 64 bit OS) then we can start to crank up the settings and turn on all of the eye-candy and tell everyone about our crash involving something else as it won't be an OOM (or an OOM will be highly unlikely). I think we get about 7 or 8 tigabits (guessing tigabits as the next thing after GB's) of VAS which will be bigger than any HDD or SSD.

I use the FSUIPC.log to record my VAS usage from the beginning to the end of the flight (the FSUIPC module is the one that issues warning dings that you are close to running out of memory). It shows me at the end the avg amount of VAS I had available and the highest amount and what was the lowest recorded. It will also tell me my average frame rate during the flight. So it just takes an instant for the VAS to plummet to around 200 MB's and crash your sim and that's just a blink of the eye.

Good luck finding your OOM.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10