Sign in to follow this  
Capt Speirs

I really want the Phenom 300, please tell me it's not true!

After reading about the Phenom 300 I really got excited and wanted it. Until I continued reading and found out to get the Phenom right, it costs $100. I don't mind spending that much, but is it really worth $100 at that point? I really, really want this plane, but I am so use to PMDG and the Majestic Dash 8 Pro, I can only hope it meets those standards.

What I was hoping wasn't true is that after $100 it's still not right.

Little confused where you are getting the 100 dollar number from. It is listed on their website for 39.99, which is an okay price for the plane.

That $100 price tag might include the Flight 1 GTN 750 which, with Bert's mod, is a must have for some of us.

"A good landing is one you can walk away from. An excellent landing is one you can taxi away from."

Bill in Colorado:

Retired

Comm: ASEL/AMEL/Instrument

CFI: ASEL/AMEL/Instrument

The GTN 750 can be used in other planes.  Unless you don't intent to use it anywhere else, which is a shame, since RA Lancair V2 and Turbine V2 are wonderful with the GTN.  

I am so use to PMDG and the Majestic Dash 8 Pro, I can only hope it meets those standards

It's a Carenado, it will never be in that standard.  It looks good, some systems work and the GTN Mod removes the hassles with auto pilot and navigation.  I don't know which sim you are using, but for a light Jet nothing beats the Flight1 Mustang on FSX/FSX-SE yet.  I just happen to have the GTN750 which I use on a number of planes: A2A T182, Comanche 250 and RA.  Otherwise I would not pick up the Phenom 300.

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

I fly the Phenom 300 with default GPS and Aivlasoft's EFB. That combination also enables you to fly SIDs and STARs. It is a good plane, but I found the Navigraph update package somewhat cumbersome.

I would be tempted to try the GTN750, but a current Airac cycle is a must for me, and I don't want to pay Garmin prices for every update when I have a Navigraph subscription.

Peter

I would be tempted to try the GTN750, but a current Airac cycle is a must for me, and I don't want to pay Garmin prices for every update when I have a Navigraph subscription.

Old, one cycle behind the current is available, so you will not be on the most current cycle, but good enough for me (I am using 1601 right now for the GTN, and the current cycle is 1602).  If you decide to get the GTN, PM me and I will let you how you can get on the list to get the update.

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

After reading about the Phenom 300 I really got excited and wanted it. Until I continued reading and found out to get the Phenom right, it costs $100. I don't mind spending that much, but is it really worth $100 at that point? I really, really want this plane, but I am so use to PMDG and the Majestic Dash 8 Pro, I can only hope it meets those standards.

What I was hoping wasn't true is that after $100 it's still not right.

The Phenom 300 costs 39,95 USD. If you want the Navigraph extension (with full AIRAC support), you need to pay more 9,95 USD. That's all.

The GTN 750 is a separate addon marketed by Flight1. It is fully optional and you can use it with a lot of aicraft, especially GA aircraft, either embedded or as 2D panel. It is not required for the Phenom 300, however most of users here on AVSIM like to use the Phenom 300 with the so called "Bet's mod", which includes the GTN750 embedded and some fixes to the autopilot. I don't, because you will lose VNAV and the GTN750 database (no matter how updated it is) misses several approaches, especially outside US.

It looks good, some systems work and the GTN Mod removes the hassles with auto pilot and navigation.

The autopilot problems have nothing to do with the navigation system in use. The GTN750 is simply coupled to the autopilot. If the autopilot is erratic, it will be erratic both with the default Prodigy G1000 and with the GTN 750. Actually Bert's mod, as far as I remember, also fixes some erratic behaviors in the autopilot, but this has nothing to do with the navigation system.

In my universe Flight1 released the phenom 100/300 and Carenado the Mustang... I need to get back...

Little confused where you are getting the 100 dollar number from. It is listed on their website for 39.99, which is an okay price for the plane.

Not everyone lives in the US. if i was to buy the 300, nav pack it would be $94 AU, if your in NZ thats over $110 for them. so if the op is paying that much i would say no its not worth it.

tpewpb-6.png

Ok. so here it is. I need to be able to fly from KSNA to KPSP with this beauty. Note; KPSP does not have ILS, yes you heard right, NO ILS. I couldn't believe it myself, a friend of mine fly's for UPS and he couldn't believe it to the point where he had to look at his EFB.

Actually Bert's mod, as far as I remember, also fixes some erratic behaviors in the autopilot, but this has nothing to do with the navigation system.
Correct, when I refer to the GTN Mod it's the one and only Bert's package, which include the autopilot fix. :smile:
  • Upvote 1

Vu Pham

Ok. so here it is. I need to be able to fly from KSNA to KPSP with this beauty. Note; KPSP does not have ILS, yes you heard right, NO ILS. I couldn't believe it myself, a friend of mine fly's for UPS and he couldn't believe it to the point where he had to look at his EFB.

That's a perfect example for what I have stated above.

KPSP has no ILS, but has three published RNAV RNP approaches. Unfortunately, the GTN750 does not support RNAV RNP approaches, so you only have the VOR/GPS-B option for KPSP.

The default Prodigy G1000 with Navigraph extension does support such approaches. Unfortunately the last version of the Navigraph extension released by Carenado for the Phenom 300 has FMC input problems along with other glitches with altitudes which I have been reporting to their support since October.

Old, one cycle behind the current is available, so you will not be on the most current cycle, but good enough for me (I am using 1601 right now for the GTN, and the current cycle is 1602).  If you decide to get the GTN, PM me and I will let you how you can get on the list to get the update.

Hi Vu,

thanks for your kind offer. However, I just realized that Flight 1 charges separately, and more, for the P3D version. That price tag brings the GTN over $100 in Canadian Dollars, and that simply is not as much as I am prepared to spend.

Best regards,

Peter

I just realized that Flight 1 charges separately, and more, for the P3D version. That price tag brings the GTN over $100 in Canadian Dollars, and that simply is not as much as I am prepared to spend.

Yes, that's unfortunately the case.  I only bought the P3D version, as it's too much to buy both.

Vu Pham