Sign in to follow this  
fppilot

Milviz Baron V3 - just experienced the fabled FSX carb icing twice

I found myself recently totally reinstalling the Baron B55/E55 after totally screwing up my panel.cfg files and an RXPGNS.INI file.  I removed the models and reinstalled using the v3 installer that I believe was provided last summer. Then immediately after my reinstallation I have twice experienced the fabled FSX carb icing. I was flying the E55 variant in both instances. I've logged over 200 hours in the models, primarily in the E55, and do not recall this happening before. So I figure I did something. Read on. Also, I noted that when I pressed the H key that it toggled the Baron's Prop Anti Ice switch.  I believe that shift-H did the same.  First question is this: does the H key with this model clearly controls the Prop Anti Ice. Does it affect Carb Ice as well?

To further the background on my current issue, after reinstalling with v3 I copied my aircraft.cfg and panel.cfg files from a clone HD I created about two months ago. That clone was from this brand new system and it too contained only a fresh install of these models only from v3 (no overwrite).  I had repaints and panels I wanted back in place. I had installed v3 back in August before those files were last modified. I also the day before yesterday tweaked my E55 panel.cfg file and created a new RXPGNS.INI file.  Did this so that my B55 variant's panel is GTN750 based and my E55 panel has an RXP 530 and RXP 430. 

I thought the FSX carb issue issue with this model was cured with an update in 2012. That's what I found when I searched.  But that FSX carb icing is clearly what I just experienced. I would expect the Milviz cure for the models to be in place in the v3 installer.  The files in the respective Modules folders (B55 and E55) look identical. Next questons: 1) why are all of the 2012 references to a fix regarding specifically the B55 variant? There seems to be an indication that the E55 did not need it.; and 2) was the fix something called in an aircraft.cfg or panel.cfg file?  Just have a desire to understand and preempt the issue.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

H is the carburetor heat control. There is no dedicated switch in the VC for this.

Just for the sake of clarity, no changes were made aside from those documented in the CHANGE_LOG.txt file in the root B55 folder.

On 07/09/2012 "Added 'Carb Heat' to the initialization routine for the B55 version." Note that because the B55 and E55 both use the same Preflight "gauge" this also applies to the E55. The precise routine is this:

<Update>
    (L:B55_Init,bool) !
    if{
    (A:LIGHT LANDING,bool) if{ 1 (>L:SwitchLL, enum) }
    1 (>K:ANTI_ICE_TOGGLE)
    1 (>L:B55_Init,bool)
    }
  </Update>
Note that the line 1 (>K:ANTI_ICE_TOGGLE) forces the engine anti-ice system to be on always. In each panel.cfg file, gauge05 entry in [VCocckpit01] silently loads the "B55_Preflight" gauge in the background so that the initialization routine will be run once on first load of the aircraft.

gauge05=B55_XMLGauges!B55_Preflight,  0,0,1,1

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Thanks for the response Bill. Odd. It clearly happened twice, but not since. In both instances where it happened I was at or above 9,000 in cold weather and humid in the soup conditions. For my two flights since it was cold but VFR conditions.

The call to the preflight gauge is clearly there in VC01 of my panel.cfg as you indicated, and that gauge is also clearly present in the B55_XMLGauges.CAB file located in the panel folder.

In other aircraft the H key by itself performs the otherwise named Carb Heat function (as provided in most published FSX key combination guides).  In the MV Baron the H key clearly toggles the Prop Ice switch on the panel. I can see that switch change positon.  So does shift-H. So is it possible that flipping that Prop Ice switch on the panel to the on position with the mouse might coincidentally turn off the gauge-called (engine) Anti Ice?

In assessing this over the past couple of days I also would like to ask what the function of the Heat Blower switch is? It is located on the panel between the Surface De-Icer switch and the Prop Hear switch.  It operates on/off but I can find no reference to what it does.  Not even in the POH.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

In the MV Baron the H key clearly toggles the Prop Ice switch on the panel. I can see that switch change positon.  So does shift-H.

I have to check this out again tomorrow. I flew today. I switched the Prop Ice switch to the On position with my mouse. Then I hit either H or Shift-H and the Prop Ice switch clearly went to the Off position. My bad that I did not closely note if it was H I pressed or Shift H. Anyway. Additional presses of H  and Alt-H did nothing at all to change the Prop Ice switch. (Yes I said Shift H above and Alt H after that - my testing was purposeful) So I need to check one more time to see if the H key toggles it the first time. My two sequential flights today were non-eventful.

Frank Patton
ASUS 

Frank, the default key assignments in FSX/P3D for the "H" key are:

H             Carb heat/eng anti-ice (on/off)
Ctrl+H        Autopilot heading hold (on/off)
Ctrl+Shift+H  Heading bug (select)
Shift+H       Pitot heat (on/off)

A closer look at the modeldef.xml revealed to me that whoever script the B55/E55 assigned the "Prop Anti-Ice" switch to "Carb heat" instead of "Prop De-Ice". I'm not sure why MS even created that command since prop ice isn't modeled in the sim engine anyway... :unknw:

Fr. Bill    

So Bill. The embedded gauge sets the Carb Heat state to On upon loading the model.  The Prop De-Ice switch appears from what you said to be scripted to the same function.  Is that correct?  Then is it possible that flipping that panel switch to the On position might actually be changing the state of the FSX Carb Heat function  from On (embedded gauge) to Off?

Frank Patton
ASUS 

" I also would like to ask what the function of the Heat Blower switch is? "

Heater is gas powered and requires the blower to keep air flow moving through the unit on the ground to prevent an overheat condition, it operates through the landing gear position and will use ram airflow inflight.Been awhile but the blower should turn on on the ground when the heater is turned on, or you could use the blower to circulate fresh air on the ground with the heater off.

Gary Stewart

" I also would like to ask what the function of the Heat Blower switch is? "

Heater is gas powered and requires the blower to keep air flow moving through the unit on the ground to prevent an overheat condition, it operates through the landing gear position and will use ram airflow inflight.Been awhile but the blower should turn on on the ground when the heater is turned on, or you could use the blower to circulate fresh air on the ground with the heater off.

Thanks Gary. Been awhile for me as well. Flew the military T42 1970 to 1973, about 80 total hours, and did not recall that switch/function.

Frank Patton
ASUS 

So Bill. The embedded gauge sets the Carb Heat state to On upon loading the model.  The Prop De-Ice switch appears from what you said to be scripted to the same function.  Is that correct?  Then is it possible that flipping that panel switch to the On position might actually be changing the state of the FSX Carb Heat function  from On (embedded gauge) to Off?

That is precisely correct! It is unfortunate that MS only coded many of the required switch functions as "toggles" such that they simply flip-flop on each key press or mouse click.

I've been begging Lockheed-Martin's Prepar3D team to eliminate those pesky "toggles," or at the very least add new "something_on" "something_off" events (which about two-thirds of the command events have now).

Fr. Bill    

That is precisely correct! It is unfortunate that MS only coded many of the required switch functions as "toggles" such that they simply flip-flop on each key press or mouse click.

Bill, thanks for confirming.  OK makes sense then with what happened to me.  Won't use that Prop De Ice switch any more.  I see Gary answered above about the Heater Blower switch. Guessing that is not something modeled in FSX so then moot other than the fun of flipping the switch. Right?  

Frank Patton
ASUS 

Yep, it is totally non-functional except as another 'toy switch' to play with and pretend it's doing something. Had I been the modeler/coder for the B55, I'd probably at least have made it play a "soft blower sound" at least. :He He:

Fr. Bill    

LOL Bill. We are in simulation as well as fantasy are we not! Love it! My current circuit is flying to each IU basketball game so yesterday was again in both IFR and icing conditions as I descended to my approach into Iowa City. (What a huge road win for IU!) And again I apparently met icing in the E55. Started losing power and left wing was very heavy and low. Degenerated right down to stall speed. Only recovered by lowering the nose and descending to below published initial approach altitude. In attempts to recover I played with all switches and all H key combinations except the Prop De-ice switch, which I did not touch during this flight or pre-flight. Not sure if it was descending to below the overcast or some switch/key attempt. Odd. Do not recall this happening with this model using my previous system and install. Next flight I will not fool with any of the icing related switches. I may just hunt for ripe conditions to see what happens.

In any case this model certainly has presented icing effects more than any other model I have flown in now nearing 8,000 hours (since FS1). Certainly kept me on my toes for three of my last five flights. The two without incidents did not find me encountering icing conditions. Only IU basketball can cause me to make such decisions to fly in such challenging conditions~!

Frank Patton
ASUS 

Had I been the modeler/coder for the B55, I'd probably at least have made it play a "soft blower sound" at least.

Like that! You know, flipping the Wing Deice switch to Auto does trigger a sound like a blower sound.

Frank Patton
ASUS