Sign in to follow this  
divermar

TERPs (Terminal Procedures) Panel Browser

When I press the TERPs button and select an ICAO and then click on the desired runway from the drop down box and then select the approach (for example) button the TERPs browser window displays a "Navigation Canceled" message, and then opens up Adobe Acrobat Reader DC with my selected information. This is my default application to use for viewing PDF files.

My question is there a way to make the PDF open inside the TERPs browser window and not launch Acrobat Reader?

Mark Zanzig

Yes.  In addition to telling windows that you want Adobe Reader to be your default PDF file program, you need to go into Adobe Reader itself and tell Adobe you want it to be  the default application for PDFs.

To do this:

1) Open Adobe Reader

2) Select Edit-Preferences from the menu

3) Select General from  the Preferences Categories

4) Press the button at the bottom titled "Select Default PDF Handler" and select Adobe 

5) If you get a Windows "Do you want to allow this program....." message, say Yes

Should be good to go.  I also checked the "Tell me if Adobe Reader is not my default PDF application" check box in case some other program tried to take control.

Good luck,

Dave

Hi Dave,

I've tried your setup and it still opens up a new Reader session, and displays "Navigation Canceled......".  The button in my Adobe Acrobat General preferences has " Select As Default PDF Handler"  and doesn't ask for any other input.  I've also selected ck box for "Tell me if Adobe Reader is not my default PDF application"

I then reboot the computer, tried again same results.

-Win10

-Adobe Acrobat Reader DC Version 2015.010.20059

Thanks,

Mark

Mark Zanzig

I'm not an Adobe Reader expert by any means.  I don't know what the DC means on your version, but my version is

Adobe Reader XI  Version 11.0.13

That is possibly the problem.  Mine is just the free downloadable Reader Only Adobe product.

The only other thing to double check is that Win 10 is also set to have Adobe Reader as the PDF program, but since Adobe is being opened by Windows, that is probably already set.

Dave

The DC version is the latest free version they have on their download.  I will see if version 11 is still available and try that.

Thanks,

Mark

Mark Zanzig

I uninstalled Reader DC and installed version 11.0.14, and setup it up as you laid out before, Re-Boot, tried again, same results, but no "Navigation Canceled" warning, the PDF would open up in a reader session external to P2ATC.

I then tried the Browse button and I get is a blank display, and in the URL below it has "about:blank" (no quotes).  I manually typed in www.google.com pressed enter, and the Google web site was loaded, so the browser works.

I then though that maybe P2ATC is not using the same default browser.  I'm using Firefox as my default browser.  I loaded up IE11 and made sure the Add-On for "Adobe PDF Reader" was enabled (https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/using/display-pdf-in-browser.html)

This time the PDF was opened up inside the P2ATC program Yay !

Hope that helps,

Mark

Mark Zanzig

Mark,

Thank you for the detailed explanation of what worked.  That is bound to help a lot of other users.  Who'd 've thought Microsoft would insist on Internet Explorer???

Did you have to set IE as the default browser, or just make sure the PDF Reader Add-on was enabled?

Thanks again,

Dave

I didn't change the default browser, I just made sure IE11 was PDF ready.

Glad to  help,

Mark

Mark Zanzig