Sign in to follow this  
ryanbatc

Flying IFR in Beautiful VFR Weather

I took the lazy way out tonight, flew on Pilot Edge with the turbocharged Lancair Legacy from SNA to CRQ.  If you're familiar with SoCal it's far far easier to file an IFR flight plan in such crazy airspace.  So that's what I did tonight.  I wasn't planning on taking any screenshots but after departure I glanced up and saw an amazing sight off my wing, the setting sun with the Pacific Ocean rippling in the distance.  Needless to say it motivated me to take a few shots along the way to Palomar.

Routing (used skyvector for a quick plot and brief, weather allowed for a visual approach into CRQ)

easytrip.jpg

Setting sun right after calling up socal departure

Untitled-1_22.jpg

Being vectored onto V23

Untitled-2_23.jpg

The GTN makes it simple 

Untitled-3_24.jpg

TIS-B traffic display also important - many vfr targets out and about - on the screen

Untitled-4_27.jpg

-And outside

Untitled-5_20.jpg

The Legacy made short work of the 49 mile trip...  socal cleared me for the visual Ry 24 and at this point I'm over to tower on the right base visual Ry24

Untitled-7_16.jpg

A little high so I dropped all my drawers hehe

Untitled-8_19.jpg

Again the GTN's SafeTaxi comes in handy (although CRQ is a simple layout and I've been here many times)

Untitled-9_16.jpg

Sometimes I feel like I'm flying a jet....

Untitled-10_15.jpg

• Upvote 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Great set Ryan.

Good example of why 'Socal' is the place to be!

Cheers

Dean

UK P3DV5 and Xplane 11 Simmer
PilotEdge I11, CAT11, A-Z (ZLA), A-Z (WUS)

System details: Gigabyte P57v7 CF2 17.3" laptop. Kaby Lake i7 7700HQ CPU (averaging 3.4mhz). NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 8mb (laptop version), 16 GB of DDR4-2400 RAM, SSD - Samsung 970 Evo  500GB M.2 NVMe, 1TB HDD 7200.

Hi Ryan,

Nicely done - I've got to try PE one of these days - when my wife isn't home to hear me talking to my PC - she'll think I finally lost it.... No honey - it's Jake from State Farm...

:)

Regards,

Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

"In 35 years of flight simming, PilotEdge is the "add on" that brings more realism to simulated flight than any piece of hardware or software I've ever tried."

This is a quote from someone else on PilotEdge forums a couple of days ago. I couldn't agree more - but I have only 20 years simming experience!

14 days free trial is enough to get most people hooked.  And yes Scott - talking to strangers 'in the house' is in my experience more awkward than talking to the controllers at first.

Cheers

Dean

UK P3DV5 and Xplane 11 Simmer
PilotEdge I11, CAT11, A-Z (ZLA), A-Z (WUS)

System details: Gigabyte P57v7 CF2 17.3" laptop. Kaby Lake i7 7700HQ CPU (averaging 3.4mhz). NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 8mb (laptop version), 16 GB of DDR4-2400 RAM, SSD - Samsung 970 Evo  500GB M.2 NVMe, 1TB HDD 7200.

Thanks everyone

At some point I'll probably get Orbx SCA but I've got so many addons I'm unsure of the compatibility

Yes, pilot edge is the best ATC experience around. I understand why people who fly big iron shy away from it but for us GA people there's tons of routes / trips - though they are to be expanding coverage to farther away places soon for you guys who love to sit and stare at the screen for two hours LOL

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I'm also looking into getting ORBX SoCal. I'm fast running out of disk space, but I really like what I've seen of it so far, so will have to sacrifice something to get it.

Coincidentally, I just installed ORBX SoCal and the Legacy V2 last night into P3Dv2. GEP3D/UTX is installed in P3Dv3. I got my pilot's license at CRQ decades ago so I am pretty familiar with the area. ORBX SoCal is definitely an improvement over any other scenery I've tried for this area for VFR flying. It does take a toll on framerates so I will need to move some of my maxed scenery sliders to the left.

Ryan, very nice shots. What scenery are you using at CRQ?

Ted

3770k@4.5 ghz, Noctua C12P CPU air cooler, Asus Z77, 2 x 4gb DDR3 Corsair 2200 mhz cl 9, EVGA 1080ti, Sony 55" 900E TV 3840 x 2160, Windows 7-64, FSX, P3dv3, P3dv4

Everyone (well almost everyone) says fps suffer with SCA - which is why I haven't bought it yet. Orbx seems to turn the head the other way when people bring it up - meh. So I'm hoping for a SP1 before I buy it

CRQ scenery by Sim720

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

Very atmospheric shots  :smile:

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

Hi Ryan,

First I've heard of Sim720 - how do they rate - good frame rates ? They must have something special as I noticed their Santa Barbara airport has a $40.00 price tag - that must be some type of record for an airport scenery... The screenshots look good on their product pages...

Regards,

Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7