Sign in to follow this  
Chaos81

Muting sounds?

Forgive me if I'm missing the obvious here as I'm relatively new to X-Plane, but is there anyway to mute the sound in X-Plane using a keypress like "Q" in FSX/P3D? I'd even take them muting on a task switch. I know I can go to the sounds menu and uncheck it, but that's not the most convenient thing.

Thanks.

Mike,

On my Win7 I have a "speaker" icon in lower right corner of the screen.

I can change the volume or mute it.

Normally, I use it to lower /adjust the volume rather than mute in FSX, P3D and XPlane10.

Just my preference .. rather than the Q key e.g.

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell - PP-ASEL KDTW

If your focus changes to another application or minimize X-Plane (in windowed mode) sounds from XP will stop?  This works for me.

Mike,

On my Win7 I have a "speaker" icon in lower right corner of the screen.

I can change the volume or mute it.

Normally, I use it to lower /adjust the volume rather than mute in FSX, P3D and XPlane10.

Just my preference .. rather than the Q key e.g.

Yeah, I could do that as well. Just looking for the laziest way possible I suppose.

If your focus changes to another application or minimize X-Plane (in windowed mode) sounds from XP will stop?  This works for me.

Hmm, that doesn't work for me. I use windowed mode, and when I minimize or choose another program, the sounds just keep going.

Thanks for the replies, guys.

I found a solution that will do what you want but you need to do a tiny bit of work to get it working :)

These batch files basically get the Process ID of the X-Plane executable that is running and mute / reset it's sound accordingly. More information can be found here http://nircmd.nirsoft.net/changeappvolume.html. This little program can do quite many things.

• download nircmd http://nircmd.nirsoft.net
  • unzip it to c:\resetsounds or something you prefer the name is not important just remember to edit my dos batch file examples accordingly.
  • Create two small DOS batch files. You can do this easily by creating a txt file and changing the .TXT extension to .BAT.
  • In these batch files place the following

To mute sound. I called this file mutexplanesounds.bat

for /F "TOKENS=1,2,*" %%a in ('tasklist /FI "IMAGENAME eq X-Plane.exe"') do set XPLANEPID=%%b
cd C:\mutesound\nircmd
nircmd.exe changeappvolume /%XPLANEPID% -5000

To reset sound. I called this resetxplanesound.bat

for /F "TOKENS=1,2,*" %%a in ('tasklist /FI "IMAGENAME eq X-Plane.exe"') do set XPLANEPID=%%b
nircmd.exe changeappvolume /%XPLANEPID% 5000

Now create a shortcut to these files which will enable you to create a windows key shortcut combination to start the batch file. Example CTR+ALT+Q to mute and CTR+ALT+R to reset the sound back to what it was.

Have fun after you have done this using key shortcut to mute the sound ;-)

There's an even simpler way. This mutes and unmutes the sound of x-plane in one command. I have this now setup so I press a function key on my Logitech keyboard so with a press of the G2 key I can mute and unmute x-plane sound. The function key just starts mutesounds.bat and if you press it multiple times it will mute and unmute accordingly which is the option 2 parameter.

Thanks for asking this question :)

nircmd.exe muteappvolume /%XPLANEPID% 2
  • Upvote 1