Sign in to follow this  

Looking for a plane (GTN, fast, full VC shadows)

I am looking for a plane that is more suited for IFR flights with the GTN 750. I am flying the RealAir Legacy now but it feels a bit odd to fly like that in a plane like this. I also tried the A2A Cherokee but that one feels even more odd. I simply have the feeling these aren't the kind of planes you would use a GTN in and do IFR flights with full procedures. I would like it to be a low wing plane and a fast one too. And, this might be a bit odd, I also would like to have full VC shadow support like in the A2A Cherokee (which is the reason I actually tried that plane with the GTN). And unlike the Legacy in which nothing on the panel gives shadows. Those missing shadows actually made me think about looking for another plane. O, and I like a good view out of the window too. ;) (The last two points rule out the RealAir Duke already, I think, which might have been an obvious suggestion.)

Shorter version of this question might be: which faster planes have full 3D integration for the GTN 750 and are suited in real life for IFR flights with published procedures? (If they offer full shadows and a good outside view is something that will become clear soon enough. ;) )

Jeroen, not sure why you are not seeing shadows in the Legacy (the Duke has them too)

duke.jpg

legacy.jpg

I do of course see those shadows but look for instance to the left of the 2nd screenshot: the shadows below the landing gear switch, the flaps switch, etc. are all baked into the texture of the panel and not real. They are there no matter what and they obviously don't move. And this goes for all the knobs and things that stick out. Don't know if you have for instance the A2A Cherokee but there each and every knob and switch and whatever has a real shadow which shows up even on the floor depending on the direction of the light. I simply like that and I simply don't like the Legacy's baked in fake shadow solution. It probably is of no importance at ALL to most simmers but to me it makes a difference. ;)

Hey j and v, are those shadows only in P3d. I'm running FSX-Steam and love it. I have just built a brand new PC . Maybe I should go out and buy another SSD and put P3d on it and see what it is all about :)

Hi Jeroen,

Yeah - in real life - GTN's are still few and far between - I wish my RXP GNS would work in P3D... I'm at airports all the time and I have yet to see one... If you've flown A2A and RA - you might be disappointed with anyone else... They are the top shelf guys in this arena... The A2A Comanche is relatively fast and extremely well done - I like it a great deal... I don't know if you follow A2A - but they just purchased an Aerostar which is one of the fastest piston twins around ( a personal favorite ) and they tend to model what they own... I like the MilViz C310 and B55 - I also plan on picking up their King Air 350 when it comes out... I also fly full procedures often...

Regards,

Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

Yes you are correct they don't move, makes no difference to me when considered against the overall quality of the aircraft, FSX and P3D are all about making compromises.

Don't know if I would give up Realair quality for something so minor and there are very few fast IFR capable low wing GA aircraft to choose from in the first place, once you discount the likes of Carenado for obvious reasons.

First world problems Jeroen  ...... :smile:

Hey j and v, are those shadows only in P3d. I'm running FSX-Steam and love it. I have just built a brand new PC . Maybe I should go out and buy another SSD and put P3d on it and see what it is all about :)

No, those shots were from FSX in DX10 using Steve's Fixer

Lol

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Yes you are correct they don't move, makes no difference to me when considered against the overall quality of the aircraft, FSX and P3D are all about making compromises.

Don't know if I would give up Realair quality for something so minor and there are very few fast IFR capable low wing GA aircraft to choose from in the first place, once you discount the likes of Carenado for obvious reasons.

First world problems Jeroen ...... :smile:

Yeah, well, you're right... I spend the afternoon looking at reviews, video's and flying with the Cherokee and Comanche but in the end I went back to the Legacy LOL It has EVERYTHING I like and want, great view out of the window, great panel, great instruments, great AP, great performance, great sounds, it only doesn't have knobs shadows... geez... what was I thinking... ;) Thanks for bringing me back to my senses all.

Still would be nice if RealAir can add them: if A2A can do it (and others too) I see no reason why they can't. But to stop flying the awesome Legacy for this... seriously...

Guest tymk

Still would be nice if RealAir can add them: if A2A can do it (and others too) I see no reason why they can't. But to stop flying the awesome Legacy for this... seriously...

I suspect we all get PO'd about some minor detail or other at some point... :wink: I've almost given up on a wonderful plane about an aesthetic issue myself (I just can't stand the default panel/instrument bezel textures in the A2A C182, but found a great replacement).

That said, I still think it's a good idea to pester Rob and Sean for a shadow-enabled VC option...

Tym

I ...have full VC shadow support like in the A2A Cherokee (which is the reason I actually tried that plane with the GTN). And unlike the Legacy in which nothing on the panel gives shadows. Those missing shadows actually made me think about looking for another plane. O, and I like a good view out of the window too. ;) (The last two points rule out the RealAir Duke already, I ... )

Well now I am pi55ed! I just realized that my Lancair V2 doesn't have VC cockpit shadows ...I knew something was off but I couldn't put my finger on it!

I don't know about a refund but I sure as the dickens want my shadows!

Cheers,

Chas

My first sim flight simulator pD25zEJ.jpg

Take a ride to Stinking Creek! http://youtu.be/YP3fxFqkBXg Win10 Pro, GeForce GTX 1080TI/Rizen5 5600x  OCd,32 GB RAM,3x1920 x 1080, 60Hz , 27" Dell TouchScreen,TM HOTAS Warthog,TrackIR5,Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals HP reverbG2,Quest2

I suspect we all get PO'd about some minor detail or other at some point... :wink: I've almost given up on a wonderful plane about an aesthetic issue myself (I just can't stand the default panel/instrument bezel textures in the A2A C182, but found a great replacement).

That said, I still think it's a good idea to pester Rob and Sean for a shadow-enabled VC option...

Tym

The Legacy offers unrivalled numbers of options. You can customise just about everything. But on shadows we made a decision., If we had included knob and switch shadows we would have been inundated with complaints. The knobs on the Legacy are long. We do not control shadows. We can only enable them on gauge parts or not. The shadows on the knobs looked hideous. If we offered an option we would have had to make and compile two separate mdls. The package is already very large for a GA aircraft. We bend over backwards to offer everything under the sun and still people complain! 

We made a judgement and we're sticking with it. The switch and knobs look ghastly with shadows and we made an aesthetic decision. This incredibly minor issue is being blown out of all reasonable proportion by about 0.01% of customers!

Well now I am pi55ed! I just realized that my Lancair V2 doesn't have VC cockpit shadows ...I knew something was off but I couldn't put my finger on it!

I don't know about a refund but I sure as the dickens want my shadows!

Cheers,

Chas

It DOES have cockpit shadows, in p3d and in FSX with DX10. It does not have shadows on knobs though. 

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

Tym

"Pester"

to trouble or annoy (someone) with frequent or persistent requests or interruptions.
"she constantly pestered him with telephone calls"
synonyms: badgerhoundannoybotherharasstroubleplague

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

Guest tymk

The Legacy offers unrivalled numbers of options. You can customise just about everything. But on shadows we made a decision.,

[...]

We made a judgement and we're sticking with it. The switch and knobs look ghastly with shadows and we made an aesthetic decision.

I understand and respect your choice as a developer/artist, and I really don't see why the comments below are directed at my posts at all. All I did was acknowledge that many simmers (including me in this case) tend to obsess about tiny details until they consider the big picture. I then politely (and, in a rather unambiguous way, lightheartedly) pointed out that we may ask you to consider an option to include switch/knob shadows. Nothing more than that. I do agree on the package size consideration.

This incredibly minor issue is being blown out of all reasonable proportion by about 0.01% of customers!

IT D O E S have shadows!!!!

We can argue semantics, but in the context of this thread, this is rather clear that the reference was to switch/knob shadows. You are passionate about your work and you got annoyed by nitpicking, I get that. I'm in a completely different line of work, but I do get defensive when faced with what I believe is undeserved criticism.

I'll say it again: I have great respect for your work, and I have praised it many times in many places. I disagree with you about this particular choice, and so did another customer, but that's it, an opinion. I'm not making a big deal of it. If my comments came across as demanding, that was not my intention, and I do apologize.

Best regards,

Tym

BTW, I'll certainly keep using the product and won't ask for a refund  :wink: (I may of course be wrong, but I believe the reference from another poster was a sarcastic take on the subject).

Guest tymk

"Pester"

to trouble or annoy (someone) with frequent or persistent requests or interruptions.

"she constantly pestered him with telephone calls"[/size]

synonyms:

badgerhoundannoybotherharasstroubleplague

OK, now something has definitely got lost in translation. English is not my first language, but I was convinced the tongue-in-cheek intention would convey well (nobody would call their own requests "pestering" if they were dead serious about them, would they?)...

All I can say is I had no intention of causing any aggravation, I apologize if I did. I now see how it may have come across, I did not mean it to...