Sign in to follow this  
rpconnol

Strange landing light aliasing from cockpit (FSX:SE)

I'm not sure how best to describe this, wish I could record a clip (can look in to it in the next few days if it would help).

From inside the cockpit, under conditions where one can see the volumetric landing lights illuminating ahead of the aircraft, I'm seeing this strange effect where "lines" run through the volumetric lighting and the brightness of the light changes. 

It's most obvious in this screenshot looking directly forward. At the left and right ~thirds of the screen you can see the effect I'm talking about. And when I pan the view around those lines/"boundaries" move around and change angles as well. They are definitely an effect in the volumetric lighting, not the clouds or distant background.

http://i.imgur.com/vp9bo9Q.png

Here are two more showing different angles.

http://i.imgur.com/3I8vCUW.png

http://i.imgur.com/C9kfGNl.png

(this last one has good contrast as well thanks to the darker background; check the lower left corner and the FO's windscreen)

And to clarify, this effect is not seen from outside the aircraft. Looks great!

http://i.imgur.com/flASxE4.png

I double checked all my anti-alias settings with DX10 fixer and NVI, my special effects slider is maxed, and those screenshots were taken with the recommended low vis METAR from the user manual in ASN. I run windowed (maximized, the screenshots are cropped slightly to get rid of taskbar and such). Are there other settings or check boxes in DX10 fixer or NVI that could be related? Any insight would be greatly appreciated! Loving everything else so far, but this also happens my most anticipated feature :)

Very strange indeed!

I suspect it is caused by a clip plane being too far...

Are you using a view generated by EZDok or the built-in view from FSX?

Regards,

Keven

Keven Menard 
Technical Director, //42

No EZDok or any other camera software. I have edited the camera settings in all the 737 aircraft.cfg files slightly just to adjust the default angles/zooms for some of the VC cams. Would installing the Immersion package over .cfg's that differ slightly from the PMDG defaults cause any issues?

If there are any other screenshots or steps I can take to help debug/troubleshoot the issue and rule things out let me know!

No EZDok or any other camera software. I have edited the camera settings in all the 737 aircraft.cfg files slightly just to adjust the default angles/zooms for some of the VC cams. Would installing the Immersion package over .cfg's that differ slightly from the PMDG defaults cause any issues?

If there are any other screenshots or steps I can take to help debug/troubleshoot the issue and rule things out let me know!

Very strange - is this a default paint - or a downloaded version - also is it doing it on all of your other paints - check the factory paint and see if it does it  - not sure exactly whats causing this as I have never seen this - also video driver issue maybe

Rich Sennett

The screenshots in the original post were taken with the default PMDG livery of the 737-600. I tried several liveries on the -600 and also the -800WL and all the exact same issue.

Here is a video of a quick and dirty take off to illustrate the issue better hopefully. It's the PMDG livery 737-800WL and the Low Visibility METAR in the FSFX Immersion 737 User Manual.

The video is unlisted but should be viewable with the direct link, let me know if it doesn't work. Be sure to check it out in 720p (ignore that horrible thumbnail/preview image!). The bug starts around 0:14

I hadn't actually noticed that the problem "develops" itself shortly after lift off, but some toying around in slew mode shows that the bug persists even if I slew close to the ground, I think... It's also worth noting that while in the video I only pan around the cockpit while the aircraft is pitch up (about 20 degrees) after take off, the pitch or roll of the aircraft doesn't affect anything it (doesn't cause the "aliasing" to move around in the way it does when the camera is moved).

I also updated my drivers to the latest version (362.00, GTX 970) and re-checked all my NVI settings before taking the above clip. No help.

Video not ready yet but have you uninstalled immersion to see if that resolves it ? shouldn't take long to do that - also not sure but maybe you installed the wrong version for your sim as they have choices for your sim you are using - you probably did but just throwing that out there

Rich Sennett

Yes thats strange - did you uninstall immersion to see if that in fact is causing the problem

Rich Sennett

Yes re-installation didn't work (loaded up the game after uninstalling it too, just to do another quick test flight, and nothing looked out of the ordinary). What's bothering me now is how they're fine before take off and then that weird effect zips in from the sides shortly after leaving the ground, like in the video. They look great on the ground! Hope we can sort it out because I'm excited to get the most out of the product. 

Did some further testing, the issue is related to the Clip Mode of the VC Camera.

It can be fixed by adding the line ClipMode=Minimum to the Camera Definition titled Virtual Cockpit in the Cameras.cfg file located in %AppData%\Microsoft\FSX

Let me know if adding this line fixes the issue!

Regards,

Keven

Keven Menard 
Technical Director, //42

That did the trick! Thank you so much Keven, looks perfect! Should I throw that line in all my VC cams (in cameras.cfg and aircraft.cfg?) or will that one alone do the trick?

That did the trick! Thank you so much Keven, looks perfect! Should I throw that line in all my VC cams (in cameras.cfg and aircraft.cfg?) or will that one alone do the trick?

All the cameras you will be using that are in the VC, yes

We will have a look at the install process to see if we could add those in.

Keven Menard 
Technical Director, //42