Sign in to follow this  
Guest Ken_Salter

Who else may be in Ivan's Path?

Guest Ken_Salter

I live in Mobile, AL and as of this morning that became almost bullseye for this storm.This means, among other things, that I probably cannot go to the AVSim Conference in Denver this weekend. :-(Anyone else possibly affected by this?

Hi Ken,I hope you don't get hit. We have been through hurricanes Charlie and Frances and it is not fun. Depending on the actual path, you may or may not have to forgo Denver.Hoping for the best from Orlando, FL.W. Sieffert

Guest Ken_Salter

I guess it is better for it to hit us than you guys again!I was born and raised here in Mobile (though I haven't lived here my entire life). I went through Frederic (Cat 3 Direct Hit 1979), Danny (Cat 1 Direct Hit 1997), and a few others that were close to Mobile (Georges 1998, ) and several tropical storms...no, they are not fun.I managed to beat the rush to the grocery stores at 6:30am this morning and stocked up.If it does hit here, I'll take some pictures and post them up.http://www.southalabama.edu/cwrc/alahurricanes.html

I just hope it doesnt mess with the Auburn - LSU game this weekend!Eric

rexesssig.jpg AND ftx_supporter_avsim.jpg

Guest Ken_Salter

Unfortunately, I don't think there will be a game.

Guest drobson

It may get colder than, well, shall I just say it gets real cold here in the "Big Sky Country" of Montana, but I can certainly live with that. I cannot imagine what it would be like to endure one hurricane, much less more than one as you people in the Southeast have! The devastation is absolutely incredible. My heart goes out to all of you! I don't think I would have the strength and resolve to endure.Darrell

Guest Ken_Salter

We (my parents, grandparents) are debating whether or not to evacuate. We live inland, but if the storm does not weaken any futher from a strong Cat 4 (as it is right now), we may have to hit the road.Right now I'm about to drive into work and grab my laptop and other items and make sure my building is secure. Then I'm going to come back to my apartment and grab the hard drives out of my computers and some other documents and meet up with my peeps either tonight or early tomorrow.At least with hurricanes we get plenty of time to prepare. It is my favorite natural disaster ;-)

I bet there will be. Football down here is serious religion. They may move it to sunday, but I betcha there will be a game. Only place they could move it to later in the season is Nov 6th when both teams have an open date. However that would make host team Auburn have to play LSU, Georgia and Alabama back to back to back. They arent gonna do that unless the stadium washes away. :-)Eric

Guest Ken_Salter

Roll Tide Roll! :-)

Guest ba747heavy

Good luck Ken. Take care of yourself.

Round the bowl and down the hole...Roll Tide Roll!(I can see IM gonna get a lot of posts deleted now!)Eric

Hang on Ken,We, here in Polk County Florida (Lakeland), were the recipients of the last two storms. We saw the eye of both Charley and Frances, and while we can use the relief, I don't wish this thing on anybody. I was an Alabama student when Frederick came through (we are Florida transplants) and we had 85 mph winds in Tuscaloosa. Ironically I flew one of our planes up to my Dad's grass strip near Tuscaloosa to hide it from Frances a couple of weeks ago, and now it's up there looking at Ivan. Oh well...it's in a pretty good hangar I guess.Good luck to you and yours Ken,LeonROLL TIDE!!!

Strangely enough, I have experienced a "hurricane", and I didn't even have to leave England. That is because I was in London when the great storm of October 1987 hit southern England (otherwise known as Hurricane Michael, due to the fact that a woman phoned the Met Office to say that a hurricane was on the way, and the weatherman Michael Fish denied this ON NATIONAL TV !)With hurricane force winds of over 90 mph (sustained), this storm caused massive amounts of damage. Apparently, over fifteen million trees were blown flat (including most of those on Wandsworth Common just a few hundred yards from our flat).The storm swept across London overnight. At 7 p.m. (it was already dark by then) the air temperature was 9C (48F). At midnight, this had increased to 17C (63F) :-eek That gives you an idea of how much energy the storm was packing. I remember waking up to howling winds and rattling windows. Shortly after that, the power failed.Then something remarkable happened. Everything went still and silent. I could see the Moon, and a couple of small clouds drifting across the otherwise clear sky ! The eye of the storm must have passed directly over us. A short time later, the violent winds and howling noise resumed.It was certainly an interesting experience :-)Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest Ken_Salter

Update:It is 10:00pm in Mobile. I am in West Mobile. I still have power and so far nothing major has happened. We have had some rain and some gusty wind, but not hurricane conditions yet. That should come in the next few hours.It looks like the eye will pass over where I am, and we are on the west side, which is the better side of the storm.I don't expect power to last too much longer (surprised it is still on). I'll post later if possible.Later...