Sign in to follow this  
Ton4s

FMC Spaghetti SIDS and STARS

Hi,

still learning the FMC..

I have Navigraph and PFPX.

If I plan a route, I add the SID and STAR for the the runways in the FMC. 

However, I have no idea which one to choose for my particular route. I know that if you pick an runway, it shows the appropriate, possible SIDS and STARS, still a lot to choose from....

I try to find these somewhere in programs and documentation, but no luck until now. I pick one that seems kinda ok, stepping through the legs, sometimes end up with spaghetti :)

Where/how can I find the options available in the FMC on charts? (Would save me some fuel too ;-) )

thanks,

Tony

Hi,

still learning the FMC..

I have Navigraph and PFPX.

If I plan a route, I add the SID and STAR for the the runways in the FMC. 

However, I have no idea which one to choose for my particular route. I know that if you pick an runway, it shows the appropriate, possible SIDS and STARS, still a lot to choose from....

I try to find these somewhere in programs and documentation, but no luck until now. I pick one that seems kinda ok, stepping through the legs, sometimes end up with spaghetti :)

Where/how can I find the options available in the FMC on charts? (Would save me some fuel too ;-) )

thanks,

Tony

Get a program like Pro ATC X and it will assign sids and stars appropriate for the weather and airport and runway you are landing on. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

There is no option in the FMC to pick the correct SID or STARs.  Most flightplanners will give you a SID and STAR according to the departure and arrival runway you choose in those flightplanners.

Another option is to look at real world flightplans on sites such as Flightaware for US flights as they will list the SID and STAR that particular flight used.  In the US those rarely change and they are not runway specific such as in Europe.  US SID and STARS basically confirm to flow direction after takeoff or direction arriving from for the arrival.

There are some good guides and videos on understanding SIDS and STARS that will help you understand much better how to use them.

If you need any assistance PM me and I'd be glad to help you out time permitting.

Sean Green

I think I understand SIDs and STARs, At least what they are for. 

If I plan a flight with PFPX, it actually gives the STAR, like f.i to KLAX from KLAS :

KLAS
DIRECT
1 N 36.0801 W 115.1523 2181
-----

-

TNP
BASET3
1 N 34.1122 W 115.7699 0 

KLAX
-
1 N 33.9424 W 118.4081 128
-----

-

-------------------------------------------------------

BASET3 is the STAR. (ILS 25R)

If I load the route in the FMC (with co-route) the STAR is not in the flightplan. It has two BASET3 variants of the STAR available however. If I select either one of them, the spaghetti starts. 

Making me crazy :(

Are you sure you selected the correct arrival runway in PFPX? I am using an older version of navData but from what I can see BASET3 arrival is only available for rwy 06/07. This might explain the strange route you saw.

BASET3 is the STAR. (ILS 25R)
PFPX usually picks BASET3 for an arrival from the northeast. On FlightAware I have never seen it used. According to FlightAware BOACH6 HEC RIIVR2 is the route being used by AAL 145 today. For flights within the United States Flightaware will have the route. The link to the site is - http://flightaware.com/. For flights within the U.S., I copy/paste the route from FlightAware into PFPX and then build it. Don't use PFPX to find routes within the U.S. unless you can't find a real world route.

I am a bit sure:

baset.jpg

DEP: KLAS/LAS 19R 

AWY      WAYPOINT   MT    ALT  WND/VEL   TAS   REM  FUEL REM / USED   LEG   ACC
         NAME             TMP     FREQ    GS  DIST  POSITION          ETO / ATO
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
         KLAS/19R      2181                        8.6 /   0.3            
         MC CARRAN INTL                      255  N3604.8 W11509.1 ...../.....

*TOC      183FL340    302/046  450     87       5.7 /   3.3 :15   00:15
                          -54           461    168  N3440.8 W11535.8 ...../.....

DCT      TNP       182FL340    302/038  449     35       5.3 /   3.7 :04   00:19
         TWENTYNINE PALMS -54   114.20  460    133  N3406.7 W11546.2 ...../.....

*TOD      248FL340    302/038  449     32       4.9 /   4.0 :05   00:24
                          -54           421    101  N3401.3 W11623.7 ...../.....

BASET3   IPHIW     248*DES                 4       4.8 /   4.1 :01   00:25
                                              97  N3400.6 W11628.4 ...../.....

BASET3   ARRVD     252*DES                13       4.8 /   4.1 :01   00:26
                                              84  N3359.1 W11644.0 ...../.....

BASET3   KONZL     252*DES                19       4.8 /   4.1 :04   00:30
                                              65  N3357.3 W11706.7 ...../.....

BASET3   TRTLE     252*DES                 6       4.8 /   4.2 :01   00:31
                                              59  N3356.6 W11713.9 ...../.....

BASET3   PDZ       252*DES                15       4.7 /   4.2 :02   00:33
         PARADISE ONTARIO     112.20          44  N3355.1 W11731.8 ...../.....

BASET3   CACTS     268*DES                 6       4.7 /   4.2 :02   00:35
                                              38  N3356.1 W11738.9 ...../.....

BASET3   BASET     267*DES                17       4.6 /   4.3 :03   00:38
                                              22  N3358.7 W11758.7 ...../.....

BASET3   DOWNE     251*DES                 7       4.5 /   4.4 :02   00:40
                                              14  N3357.9 W11807.4 ...../.....

BASET3   REEDR     251  128    078/000  258      8       4.5 /   4.5 :02   00:42
                          +18           234      7  N3356.9 W11816.6 ...../.....

BASET3   KLAX/25R  254  128                7       4.3 /   4.6 :02   00:44
         LOS ANGELES INTL                         N3356.5 W11824.5 ...../.....

ARR: KLAX/LAX 25R 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My problem is not finding the correct "real life" route. The route above is a flyable one.

However, how can I let the FMC execute it?

Thats where I am stuck :(

For LAX landing west, coming from the northeast you will pretty much always get the RIIVR arrival. Coming from the east it will be the SEAVU. coming from the north it will be the SADDE. the only time you will see the BASET is when they are landing to the east except after midnight when they switch to the noise abatement flow you will get the REDEYE. Coming from the west it's almost always the SADDE but I have gotten the LEENA which was then switched to the BUFIE. I've only ever approached from the south once and don't recall which one they gave us that time. I've never been assigned any of the other current LAX arrivals.

Tom Landry

PMDG_NGX_Tech_Team.jpg

Ah, the BASET3 STAR is not complete in the STARS database of the NGX I guess. If I load the flightplan and add the missing waypoints manually between TNP and BASET the STAR is complete....  :fool:

The BASET3 is not an appropriate STAR for any of the 24s or 25s. It's for landing east.

Tom Landry

PMDG_NGX_Tech_Team.jpg

And I think I know how I get my spaghetti. The BASET3 star is loaded, but incomplete. I then add a BASET STAR form the FMC menu, and voila, purple lines all over :)

The BASET3 is not an appropriate STAR for any of the 24s or 25s. It's for landing east.

Ok. I just use PFPX, it gives me that.

the data is not incomplete.

you get the points from TNP to BASET by selecting TNP as the transition when you select the STAR.

it is sort of moot since the point of that star is that you get vectors from REEDR to southwest of the airport and back around from atc. there is no way you could decend from the 9000 ft crossing restriction at REEDR and land at the ILS25 that is less than 5nm away. 

take a look at the chart for BASET3 and you will see the final step is to cross REEDER at 9000 at heading 210 and you will get vectors to 6/7 . (chart is at http://www.airnav.com/airport/KLAX

in the data in the fmc this also shows up, after REEDR you will see an (INTC) entry followed by a (VECTOR) entry.

it is also sort of moot as you wouldn't get TNP direct from KLAS either, although BOACH6 has a TNP transition.

PFPX is a great tool!! but do not trust it blindly!!! it does not necessarily have all these details which is why it is useful to look at the real world routes. especially if you are still learning how all this stuff works.

PFPX has not a complete understanding that this STAR is used for 6/7 because it is not technically an official requirement, it does a better job with european stars in this area where there is typically only one STAR per runway instead of a STAR that ends in vectors which is very common at large USA airports.

cheers

-andy crosby

the data is not incomplete.

you get the points from TNP to BASET by selecting TNP as the transition when you select the STAR.

Ah....

Just learning  :smile:

How it is in real life, alah.

My goal, for now, is to learn how to use the FMC. I just fly around a bit, short flights, and solve spaghetties  :dance:

Oh. BTW.

Enormous big thanks for the help !

Look at this video by Kyle Rodgers - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEwvDVM-k54. It will provide an understanding of SIDS and STARS and how they fit into the scheme of routes.

This is the core route for KJFK-KMIA  -  WAVEY EMJAY J174 SWL CEBEE WETRO DIW AR22 JORAY departing 04L and arriving 08R. Without using the FMC see if you can come up with the SID and STAR for this route.

This is the core route for KJFK-KMIA  -  WAVEY EMJAY J174 SWL CEBEE WETRO DIW AR22 JORAY departing 04L and arriving 08R. Without using the FMC see if you can come up with the SID and STAR for this route.

Oh Boy, ehhh

Looking at Navigraph:

DEP: It says, Wavey: expect vectors to R156 (115.9 JFK)

ARR: RILEY6

Anyways, did the return to KLAS, PFPX came up with something, but I used an actual route from flightaware : KLAX LOOP8 DAG KEPEC3 KLAS. No spaghetti, just an S  :) Since i did a downwind 01L :)