Sign in to follow this  
Noah101

Locked or Unlimited FPS

The ultimate answer is test it out on your machine and see.  With that said, I think there is some thought it seems that P3D does better with locked FPS that help limit micro stutters.  The effect of using the built in frame rate limiter is also not as dramatic.  I remember in FSX I'd lose 10-12 FPS with a locked frame rate vs unlimited, in P3D, it only seems about 1-2 FPS for me.

Eric Szczesniak

Which is the best option?

If there was a best option it wouldn't be optional :wink:

• Upvote 1

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

I had been using unlimited since there was a significant drop in frame rates if I set it to anything else.  But I would get very bad blurry ground textures.

Now I set FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.01, change frame rate limiter to 26 and also use NVIDIA inspector to lock frame rates to 26, which has been working well for me.  Don't get blurry textures, don't get frame rate drop, and don't get tearing.

i5-2500K with GTX-970.

I had been using unlimited since there was a significant drop in frame rates if I set it to anything else.  But I would get very bad blurry ground textures.

Now I set FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.01, change frame rate limiter to 26 and also use NVIDIA inspector to lock frame rates to 26, which has been working well for me.  Don't get blurry textures, don't get frame rate drop, and don't get tearing.

i5-2500K with GTX-970.

I have same CPU/Video card as you.  Are you using an affinity mask at all?  I'm currently running with unlimited and then adaptive half sync in Nvidia Control Panel and also at 2x DSR.  But certain situations cause a barely acceptable situation.

Yesterday, for instance, I had stutters and tried messing with all kinds of display settings in P3D but couldn't find anything that would help it.  The next flight though is smooth and no problems.  But, different time of day.  For me, I seem to have issues at times of day where the sun is the highest in the sky and/or I'm closer to tropical latitudes.  I can fly in Orbx EU Norway and maintain a smooth performance all the time.  But then a flight to GCLP(which was where I was going to yesterday) will stutter.  Can't quite pin down why yet.  I'll maybe give these settings you use a try once and see what happens for me too.

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

"Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings" - Shapiro2024

have same CPU/Video card as you. Are you using an affinity mask at all? I'm currently running with unlimited and then adaptive half sync in Nvidia Control Panel and also at 2x DSR. But certain situations cause a barely acceptable situation.

I'm using all 4 cores. I do get some stutters around very high detailed airports, but not too bad.  I'm also using UT2 with pretty much all major airline liveries and GA traffic assigned.

I end up making compromises depending on what type of flying I'm doing so I can keep frame rates in the range of 20-26 fps.  If I'm flying PMDG 737, then I disable ORBX, GA traffic, and road/water traffic, but set airliner traffic at 100%.  If I'm flying a GA airplane, then I enable ORBX and GA traffic, but dial down airliner traffic significantly. 

I use SimStarter to set up scenarios so all the necessary settings (including UT2 settings) are tweaked automatically.

I also took the radical step of reducing all my default ground textures from 1024x1024 to 512x512.  I don't recommend this, but based on the type of flying I do, which is either GA flying in ORBX regions or long haul flights at high altitude, it works for me.  I actually have it set up to automatically switch back and forth between 512x512 and 1024x1024 using SimStarter, but I pretty much just stick with 512x512.

Oh, and I'm using a 43" monitor set at 3840x2160 :)

i5-2500K with GTX-970.

How did you limit the framerate to 26 in NVI ?

The lowest I have found is 29 and I would like to go a little lower...

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

How did you limit the framerate to 26 in NVI ?
The lowest I have found is 29 and I would like to go a little lower...

Open CustomSettingNames_en-EN.xml with a text editor and look for the following.  You can add custom settings.  See below for some examples.  I just changed some that I will never use to values that I want.

Not sure if it's just a placebo effect, but setting NVI frame rate to match what I have P3D set to seems to fix the bad ground texture tearing that I see otherwise.

<CustomSetting>
      <UserfriendlyName>Frame Rate Limiter</UserfriendlyName>
      <HexSettingID>0x10834FEE</HexSettingID>
      <MinRequiredDriverVersion>280.26</MinRequiredDriverVersion>
      <Description />
      <GroupName>Sync and Refresh</GroupName>
      <SettingValues>
        <CustomSettingValue>
          <UserfriendlyName>Off</UserfriendlyName>
          <HexValue>0x00000000</HexValue>
        </CustomSettingValue>
        <CustomSettingValue>
          <UserfriendlyName>29 fps</UserfriendlyName>
          <HexValue>0xF000001D</HexValue>
        </CustomSettingValue>
        <CustomSettingValue>
          <UserfriendlyName>30 fps</UserfriendlyName>
          <HexValue>0xF000001E</HexValue>
        </CustomSettingValue>
        <CustomSettingValue>
          <UserfriendlyName>31 fps</UserfriendlyName>
          <HexValue>0xF000001F</HexValue>
        </CustomSettingValue>
        <CustomSettingValue>
          <UserfriendlyName>22 fps</UserfriendlyName>
          <HexValue>0xF0000016</HexValue>
        </CustomSettingValue>
        <CustomSettingValue>
          <UserfriendlyName>24 fps</UserfriendlyName>
          <HexValue>0xF0000018</HexValue>
        </CustomSettingValue>
        <CustomSettingValue>
          <UserfriendlyName>26 fps</UserfriendlyName>
          <HexValue>0xF000001A</HexValue>
        </CustomSettingValue>
        <CustomSettingValue>
          <UserfriendlyName>28 fps</UserfriendlyName>
          <HexValue>0xF000001C</HexValue>
        </CustomSettingValue>

Thanks man !

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

i would say unlimited. My fps is cut to 60% in complex aircraft using limited

smooth enough for me using unlimited.

2 X GTX970SC

I7-47770k@4.6 ht on

Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

Why do we lose FPS when using the built in frame limiter?

Is it better if you leave that at Unlimited by use the NVIDIA frame limiting options?

Why do we lose FPS when using the built in frame limiter?

Unlimited will prioritize high frame rates over scenery generation, so you might end up with blurry ground textures, autogen not filling in fast enough when you are flying really fast, etc.  If you limit the frame rates, then more CPU cycles are given to scenery generation, which results in lower frame rates.  If you are happy with your scenery, then I would leave it set to unlimited.  If you have issues with scenery, then try limiting it.

FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=???

This setting also is part of it.  If you set to unlimited, this setting is ignored.  If you limit the frame rates, then this setting applies and will determine how many CPU cycles are given to scenery generation.  For me, setting FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.01 is a good compromise and improves scenery generation without much impact on frame rates.

Unlimited might also result in ground texture tearing on some setups.

Unlimited will prioritize high frame rates over scenery generation, so you might end up with blurry ground textures, autogen not filling in fast enough when you are flying really fast, etc.  If you limit the frame rates, then more CPU cycles are given to scenery generation, which results in lower frame rates.  If you are happy with your scenery, then I would leave it set to unlimited.  If you have issues with scenery, then try limiting it.

FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=???

This setting also is part of it.  If you set to unlimited, this setting is ignored.  If you limit the frame rates, then this setting applies and will determine how many CPU cycles are given to scenery generation.  For me, setting FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.01 is a good compromise and improves scenery generation without much impact on frame rates.

Unlimited might also result in ground texture tearing on some setups.

But why is someone using an external limiter from NI for instance. What advantage should that bring to the table ?

Thanks

Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png