Sign in to follow this  
Noah101

Locked or Unlimited FPS

But why is someone using an external limiter from NI for instance. What advantage should that bring to the table ?

Might help if you disable v sync and have really bad texture tearing.  At least it seems to help for me.

To get smoothness with locked FPS you need to set the slider to half of what you get (the minimum possibly). Which means if you get 30fps at a dense area with heavy scenery and ai traffic such as EGLL with unlimited, you have to set 15 fps locked to get the best performance.

Which is why I've stopped using locked FPS, at least internally. 

You dont set your fps limiter to half of your unlimited fps AFAIK, but to half of your monitors refreshrate (30 if your monitor is 60 hz). If your fps dips below 30, you will have stutters if I understand this correctly.

Andreas Stangenes

http://www.youtube.com/user/krsans78
Add me on gamertag: Bullhorns78

Why do we lose FPS when using the built in frame limiter?

Is it better if you leave that at Unlimited by use the NVIDIA frame limiting options?

Unlimited automatically uses FFTF=0.01 internally.

Therefore it will give better framerates than a locked version.

Only when adding FFTF=0.01 manually it will be equal.

I choose to use Unlimited + VSync icw the Frame Rate Limiter from NVI.

Also I made a modified Limiter entry, 25 and use that ( 3 outside view screens ).

My monitors also are running at 25 Hrtz.

Now I have everything smooth, also at detailed addon airports with AI traffic and 4 cloudlayers ( max )

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

You dont set your fps limiter to half of your unlimited fps AFAIK, but to half of your monitors refreshrate (30 if your monitor is 60 hz). If your fps dips below 30, you will have stutters if I understand this correctly.

Well yes but that is considering you get 60 fps unlimited. Locked FPS supposedly renders the look ahead frames/buffer (from what I gather in other threads its about 2x the frames) which is why it gets stuttery or not smooth if you set it simply to half your monitors refresh without having the performance to hit 30fps.

You may get 30fps unlimited but as soon as you use locked its going to drop even further regardless of your monitor's refresh rate if you get what I mean.

So up in the air you may get 30 locked and smooth but once you approach some heavy scenery its back to 20fps and stutters . Whereas with unlimited you get maybe 60-70 fps in the air and on approach it still maintains 30fps.

Gerard

I recently found by using Nvidia Inspector to externally limit frame rate to 30 fps while running P3D internally on unlimited with vsync and tripple buffering on my blurries were dramatically reduced. Prior I was not using the external limiter and was fighting blurries no matter what I tried. By the way I run a 30Hz 4K monitor and can maintain 30+ fps so vsync is useful.

Can someone explain what is going on when you set unlimited in P3D but externally limit frames to 30 fps?

Additionally there are at least 2 sets of frame limiter numbers under the P3D profile in the latest NI options 30 fps (v1) and 30 fps (v2) does anyone know the diffrence in these choices, are they version 1 and 2 of P3D and there is no version 3 option?

Joe

Joe (Southern California)

SystemI9-9900KS @5.1Ghz/ Corsair H115i / Gigabyte A-390 Master / EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Hybrid w 11Gb / Trident 32Gb DDR4-3200 C14 / Evo 970 2Tb M.2 / Samsung 40inch TV 40ku6300 4K w/ Native 30 hz capability  / Corsair AX850 PS / VKB Gunfighter Pro / Virpil MongoosT-50 Throttle / MFG Crosswind Pedals /   LINDA, VoiceAttack, ChasePlane, AIG AI, MCE, FFTF, Pilot2ATC, HP Reverb G2

Can someone explain what is going on when you set unlimited in P3D but externally limit frames to 30 fps?

And vise versa.

Thanks.

Jeff

Jeff Smith

System: i9-9900K@5.0GHz., ASUS Maximus XI Hero MB, 32 GB 3200 Hyper-X RAM, Corsair HX1000i PSU, Cooler Master ML360R RGB, EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3, (2) Samsung 860 500GB SSD for Windows 10 Pro and sim, (2) M.2 NVMe 2TB, (2) WD Black 4TB HD for data, Samsung 65" 4K curved monitor @ 30Hz. (Currently running VSync, TB , Unlimited),YOKO+ yoke, VF TQ6+,TPR pedals, Logitech Multi, Switch, and Radio Panels

Software:  P3Dv4.5HF3 Pro, Ultimate Traffic Live, ASP3D, ASCA, ORBX, Fly Tampa, GSX/GSX2, PMDG, A2A, Just Flight, Milviz, Carenado, Majestic.

On other computer: P3D v3.2.3, My Traffic 6.0a, PMDG, ORBX, A2A, Captain Sim , iFly, Flight 1, Flysimware, Just Flight, Milviz, Carenado

I've tried all options in the past limiting the FPS using the built-in limiter, external limiters, different affinity masks, HT enabled/disabled and I always fall back to unlimited FPS, HT disabled and no affinity mask since this gives me the best FPS and still 100% smooth.

This is using a 980 Ti and a 6700K @ 4.5 GHz doing all my flying in the NGX with all global Orbx stuff, AS16 weather and lots of payware airports.

• Upvote 1

Richard Åsberg

Which is the best option?

Specs - GTX 980TI, i5-4460, 8gb ram

Have you checked out the AVSIM P3D Guide?  There are several pages where FPS are discussed (pages, 7, 28, 44, 45, 47-49, 70, 71, 78-80, 107, 111, 139, and most importantly, in Performance on pages 146 and 147).  The guide also discusses the FFTF tweak and its impact on FPS.  Lots of excellent ideas from users above but I would also check out the guide as it discusses fps depending on video cards too.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Best for me on an 60 monitor is limit to 30 in NI and set 31 in p3d . Standard vsync on 1/2 refresh in NI. No vsync or tripple buffer in p3d

I`ve got a GTX 980Ti too and I get better frames with unlimited fps...try and find out!

For me exactly the opposite LOL. I used to run unlimited only until the most recent Nvida Inspector. Setting 30.5 FPS has made it so much smoother. Don't use the in sim limiter it is not a true limiter.

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

i2500k and TI 650 boost. I can get 40 fps or higher with unlimited but then the blurries are bad, really bad. So I lock it at 22 - 25 in P3D, depending on the area detail, and don't get blurries.

Intel I7 6700k @ 4ghz, nVidia 3070ti 8gb, 16 gb ddr4 @ 1066mhz,  500 ssd, 2tb hdd, 2tb ssd, ASUS z170-E mb, Samsung 24" @ 1920x1080, P3D 5.4, MSFS