I'm about to buy a samsung 65" curved TV. I'm worried it might be a bit big for the VC aircrafts like the 737 NGX. So is anyone running a 65 with the 737 NGX or any PMDG product? Does it look good?

Vernon Howells

I've used a2a and the Q400 on a TV of that size, kind of as a "what if". At 1080 the pixels seemed massive to me, I think at 65 inches 4k is in order, but your milage may vary. Is the curved TV of which you speak 4k?

You have to sit far away from a monitor that big unless it is a 4K

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Just make sure you have a video card (Nvidia 970 or better) and CABLE (Display Port 1.2 or HDMI 2.0) that supports 4K UHD. You should be able to get within 3 feet of the HDTV and not see too much pixelation. Read up (Google it and look at some forums) on what the 7500 menus require to get it to use the HDMI port from a UHD video card.

You should really enjoy the size and using Zoom, set for maybe 90 degrees Field of View.

That particular Samsung has 3D capability but I haven't found any hint that that particular 3D format is supported by the video driver - I would like to buy that same screen. I am running an Oculus with my system right now but would really like to see how a large screen with 3D feels.

PC=9700K@5Ghz+RTX2070  VR=HP Reverb|   Software = Windows 10 | Flight SIms = P3D, CAP2, DCS World, IL-2,  Aerofly FS2

I am running the Samsung LS9000 (4K, curved) with a GTX980 and the PMDG 777 and Aerosoft Airbuses look fine. You can read the gauges without having to zoom in.

Cheers!

David Haynes

Well I have a 40 inch 4K display that I have at 18 inches (I could have it closer but the yoke gets in the way) so I wonder what is achieved by these very large displays.  Furthermore my 40 inch 4K monitor leaves room for a second 32 inch 1440p monitor on my desk as well.

Bruceb

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

I'm about to buy a samsung 65" curved TV. I'm worried it might be a bit big for the VC aircrafts like the 737 NGX. So is anyone running a 65 with the 737 NGX or any PMDG product? Does it look good?

Vernon, didn't you just purchase a 65' a few months ago?  :smile:   I'm interested to hear the feedback about a curved screen.  Somehow I dont like the idea of it because I '(irrationally) associate a curved screen with some kind of distortion.

Hi not yet was saving up. I've already got a curved and will never go back to a flat screen

Vernon Howells

I've already got a curved and will never go back to a flat screen

Interesting.  Why

Well I have a 40 inch 4K display that I have at 18 inches (I could have it closer but the yoke gets in the way) so I wonder what is achieved by these very large displays.  Furthermore my 40 inch 4K monitor leaves room for a second 32 inch 1440p monitor on my desk as well.

Bruceb

I also have a 40" display and run most of the VCs at 0.7 or 0.8 FSX magnification. It's almost life size at about 30 inches viewing distance. Reading gauges no problem except for very tiny fonts. Don't see the advantage to a 65 inch screen unless you can run at .6 or so magnification, which makes scenery look better, but the VC may be too large. Just sayin...

I also have a 40" display and run most of the VCs at 0.7 or 0.8 FSX magnification. It's almost life size at about 30 inches viewing distance. Reading gauges no problem except for very tiny fonts. Don't see the advantage to a 65 inch screen unless you can run at .6 or so magnification, which makes scenery look better, but the VC may be too large. Just sayin...

I'm worried it might be a bit big for the VC aircrafts like the 737 NGX. So is anyone running a 65 with the 737 NGX or any PMDG product? Does it look good?

I'm running a 65" 4K Samsung, not with PMDG, but Capt Sim 727/737, similar cockpits, and it's great. Also run A2A singles on it, and Realair Legacy, all look good.

I sit just under 3 feet away, would sit nearer if it wasn't for the the table and yoke stopping me....

At that range, the small 4K fonts aren't really a problem, although in my case I also run with a second 1080 TV as a general display for web and utilities, and have sent the desktop and taskbar there.

I've already got a curved and will never go back to a flat screen

I've also got a Samsung 48" curved 4K, and really didn't see the curvature adding much, it's pretty subtle, so didn't go for it with the 65", although as ever, beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

Eugene

Interesting.  Why

Its just what i see and like. Quite expensive to try out and then not like it, but i took to it quite well. Like what eugene said is quite true. You don't notice it much not like what you hear.

The 65 is for the future when i move to my NG cockpit build. But would love to use the 65 with the NGX for the time being.

Vernon Howells

I'm using a 48"curved 4K Samsung with the NGX and I love it!

I'm about 3 feet away from the screen and IMO the curved design does add to the feeling actually being in the cockpit and the 4K resolution means I don't have to mess around with SGSS or any other AA techniques and still the IQ is perfectly fine I think.

65" obviously is bigger than 48" but if you have the required space I think you'll be more than happy :smile:

Make sure though as someone else already suggested to get a good cable capable of delivering 4K @ 60Hz. It took me some tries before I found a suitable cable but eventually I ended up with this one. The web page is in Swedish but just to give you an idea what kind of cable to look for.

http://www.webhallen.com/se-sv/ljud_och_bild/184656-deltaco_hdmi-kabel_2m_tunn_redmere-chip-svart

Edited to add that running the NGX in 4K does put a considerable amount of load on your graphics card so be aware. I'm using a single 980 Ti @ 1400MHz and that gives me great performance in most situations. Sitting in the v/c of the NGX at a gate at the newly released FTX ESSA for example gives me about 50-60 FPS but that of course depends on lots of other stuff as well.

Richard Åsberg