Sign in to follow this  
G-YMML1

Consideration for 1440 Monitor - Fundamental Question

Hi,

If I run P3D in 1040 resolution on 1080 24' monitor, does it mean that purchasing 1440 27' monitor will be an overkill for me unless I switch to 2080 P3D in-sim resolution?

Thanks

I switched from two 24" monitors to one 43" monitor at 3840x2160 and absolutely love it.  I think going from 24 to 27 would probably not be worth it.  Better to save your money a little longer and go bigger.  I would not go bigger than 43".

I mostly fly IFR, PMDG and other heavy-metal in major hubs with 100% AI, UTX and ASN. Even with my i7-6700k and 980Ti, I think that it would be big pressure for the videocard to accept 1440p monitor resolution and 2040HD in P3D. It will be ok in VFR, but not in IFR. 

I

I mostly fly IFR, PMDG and other heavy-metal in major hubs with 100% AI, UTX and ASN. Even with my i7-6700k and 980Ti, I think that it would be big pressure for the videocard to accept 1440p monitor resolution and 2040HD in P3D. It will be ok in VFR, but not in IFR. 

I

I have i5-2500k and GTX-970 at full 3840x2160.  Also with full UT2, PMDG 737/777, ASN, and major airports (KLAX/KSFO payware, etc.).

There's actually not much difference at all with frame rates between 1080 and 4K.   You should give it a try.  Just buy the monitor somewhere that you can return it.

I will warn you that it does take some getting used to sitting 2-3 feet in front of a 43" monitor.  Took me a couple weeks, but now I love it.

Thanks for support and encouragement. Local Microcenter has a few models to try as well as 2-weeks return policy. Perhaps will try next Saturday

I have i5-2500k and GTX-970 at full 3840x2160.  Also with full UT2, PMDG 737/777, ASN, and major airports (KLAX/KSFO payware, etc.).

There's actually not much difference at all with frame rates between 1080 and 4K.   You should give it a try.  Just buy the monitor somewhere that you can return it.

I will warn you that it does take some getting used to sitting 2-3 feet in front of a 43" monitor.  Took me a couple weeks, but now I love it.

Same here. Also using a 970 GTX for 4K with a lot of addons (PMDG777, FTX stuff, ASN, Immersion and so on....) -> decent framerate, no problems ;)

Quick question,

Does your monitor has IPS and/or G-Sync? I'm just wondering if P3D does really benefits from these two pricey features?

IPS and/or G-Sync? I'm just wondering if P3D does really benefits from these two pricey features

IPS is a type of panel, well known for amazing color reproduction and good viewing angles.  The benefits over a TN monitor will depend on the individual monitor, but the difference I noted over my old TN Samsung is outstanding.  Im not sure about the benefits of G-sync, don't have a monitor with that feature.  I've heard good things tho, helps with smoothness and screen tearing, mostly at refresh rates over 45 htz, I believe.  Again, not certain if this feature is supported by P3D.  But IPS FTW, definitely.

IPS is a type of panel, well known for amazing color reproduction and good viewing angles.  The benefits over a TN monitor will depend on the individual monitor, but the difference I noted over my old TN Samsung is outstanding.  Im not sure about the benefits of G-sync, don't have a monitor with that feature.  I've heard good things tho, helps with smoothness and screen tearing, mostly at refresh rates over 45 htz, I believe.  Again, not certain if this feature is supported by P3D.  But IPS FTW, definitely.

Thanks for the response...well, ASUS's premium is almost $400 on IPS vs. non-IPS monitor

I don't think it has either.  Here's the one I have. Not a high end monitor but works just fine for me.

Not sure what type of panel that TV has, but g-sync is proprietary to nvidia and is currently only found on gaming monitors, if I'm not mistaken.

I

Where are you getting this 2040 figure from?

Do you mean 2048 texture resolution?

If you want to see how your system will handle a 1440p monitor just run x2 DSR on your current 1080p.

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

Where are you getting this 2040 figure from?

Do you mean 2048 texture resolution?

If you want to see how your system will handle a 1440p monitor just run x2 DSR on your current 1080p.

gb.

Yes, by 2040 I meant the texture resolution in P3D. I don't use DSR, but I run 4xSGSAA with 1080p and I have stable 30FPS practically everywhere even in FSDT KJFK and KLAX with 100% AI