Sign in to follow this  
vcarlo

FEX for P3D (BETA) is here !

Hi Folks,

Yeah - I always preferred FEX to REX as well - always thought the clouds were done too hard in REX - although their Soft Clouds improves on my biggest gripe with them... I'll have to try this...

Regards,

Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

Hahaha,

Each time a new version of of an earlier weather program comes out lots of people claim it to be the best they have ever seen.

FEX is the same as years ago and is still good.

REX Environment Force looks good to me.

Hopefully there will be an automatic mode that changes sky colors and cloud sets while flying...

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

After some additional testing with FEX in P3D, I feel the FEX water is not as good as REX.  Probably because of DX 9 versus DX11.  I have decided to stay with the FEX clouds and sky textures, though,  as they look great !   :smile:

My choices for now :   CLOUDS >> Naturally Dense 2 (FEX) // SKY >> Realistic Blues (FEX) // WATER >> REX 4 (Set 15) //ANIMATION >> REX 4 (Set 01)

Will try to post screens later this evening...

WAT1460.png

Hahaha,

Each time a new version of of an earlier weather program comes out lots of people claim it to be the best they have ever seen.

FEX is the same as years ago and is still good.

REX Environment Force looks good to me.

Hopefully there will be an automatic mode that changes sky colors and cloud sets while flying...

LOL Yes, indeed, in the past everything was better.  :wink:

And yes, if Force gets an automatic mode it might be a REX product I'd like! Not that I expect things to be more realistic (on the contrary, actually) but seeing things change over time sounds cool. I never got into a habit of changing skies and clouds frequently: I fly with a specific set (not REX btw) for years, and sometimes I would like to see something different but I can never decide what. I know REX 4 has an option to load textures based on the weather but seeing that happen in real time sounds a lot nicer. I simply don't like changing things like that myself: I can't do that in real life either and I don't like doing it in the sim. A bit odd maybe but well, I am a bit odd.

For my taste, FEX has always been the environment utility which has offered the most natural-looking clouds and skies and in FSX, always came back to it after trying other offerings. Thanks to Flight1, I'm pleased that I can now use FEX to embelish P3D's environment.

JJ

I downloaded FEX yesterday (never tried it before).  I tried to run the installer, and it immediately crashed, and said something about files were missing.

Anyone else run into this?

Thanks,

Ron

LOL Yes, indeed, in the past everything was better.  :wink:

And yes, if Force gets an automatic mode it might be a REX product I'd like! Not that I expect things to be more realistic (on the contrary, actually) but seeing things change over time sounds cool. I never got into a habit of changing skies and clouds frequently: I fly with a specific set (not REX btw) for years, and sometimes I would like to see something different but I can never decide what. I know REX 4 has an option to load textures based on the weather but seeing that happen in real time sounds a lot nicer. I simply don't like changing things like that myself: I can't do that in real life either and I don't like doing it in the sim. A bit odd maybe but well, I am a bit odd.

I'm just like you so at least there's two of us then :wink:

Richard Åsberg

If anyone is able to post some screens it would be much much appreciated!

I'm just like you so at least there's two of us then :wink:

Good to know I am not the only one! ;)

Well, to be more precise: REX is its developers version of FEX. I can remember how their was a rather fierce competition between the two, specially when it came to the utterly useless HD clouds (which was REX's main selling point, forcing FEX to come up with something like that too). After some time the FEX developers left the building and a few years later Flight1 adopted it. Not with much succes up to now. And since (afaik) nothing has been optimized for current sims I doubt it will become a big hit. I do know though that a lot if not most old time FEX users kept on preferring it over REX. There is something about REX I never really liked.

I agree.

Regards

Lamar Wright

Well, I wanted to like them, but it was an INCREDIBLE FPS hit for me....much more than it should have been given the conditions and where I was flying (over barren area, just clouds and basic scenery below) --- like down to 8-10fps at altitude....when I can maintain 20+ around OrbX So-Cal on pretty high settings.

I'd say FEX needs some optimization.

Well, I wanted to like them, but it was an INCREDIBLE FPS hit for me....much more than it should have been given the conditions and where I was flying (over barren area, just clouds and basic scenery below) --- like down to 8-10fps at altitude....when I can maintain 20+ around OrbX So-Cal on pretty high settings.

That's very interesting.

In most situations I had a very good performance by using FEX-clouds in FSX compared to any other products. What's your resolution setting for the clouds in FEX?

Patric

That's very interesting.

In most situations I had a very good performance by using FEX-clouds in FSX compared to any other products. What's your resolution setting for the clouds in FEX?

Patric

Sorry - Bad tester here...haha  

Already uninstalled it

When that happen it is usually a problem with high GPU memory usage due to 32bit textures, or 2048/4096 hires.

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.