Sign in to follow this  
woodreau

First Flight

Guest Philip Olson

John, Welcome to the world of flying (for real that is)! Isn't it a wonderful experience to get behind the controls of a real aircraft and know that you are the one in control? I will never forget my first flight, I was scared and excited but it was the greatest thing that I have ever felt. Please, keep going with your lessons, it is going to be the most rewarding thing that you have ever done, just wait until you solo! The expense is well worth it, and when you are done you can proudly tell the world that you are a pilot! Just out of curiousity, what did you find to be the part of flying that was most difficult? Also what was the most different from your FS flying? For me it was getting used to using the rudder pedals as I did not have them on my FS setup at home. Well congratulations and I wish you all of the best in the future! You have one great wife for her to do this for you, she must really care for you since she gave you what I consider to be one of the greatest gifts that can be given. Take care! Philip Olsonhttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/supporter.jpg

> Just out of curiousity, what did you find to be the part of>flying that was most difficult? Also what was the most>different from your FS flying? For me it was getting used to>using the rudder pedals as I did not have them on my FS setup>at home. So far I have had no problems using the rudder and making controlled turns, in fact now that I can feel the plane it is easier to keep the ball centered. Another thing that flight simulation has helped me with is the instruments/gauges. In FS I fly the Archer a lot and the Archer panel in FS9 look a lot like the panel of the Cherokee I flew so I new what and where everything was.The hardest thing so far (and I haven

Guest paulri

Welcome to the world of flying!! You are now hooked for life!!! :-)The best advice my instructor ever gave me was at about the 3 hour point. I was really fighting the controls. He come on the intercom (it was an L-19, tandem seating, he was in back) and said: "Lt, the airplane WANTS to fly--LET IT!!" :-lol He was right--I relaxed, and all was well from that point on.Have fun,Paul

Hi John,I did this many years ago and also got addicted (now about to sit my IFR check-ride).While PC technology is great, there's nothing quite like real flying. I compare it to actually going to a ball-game, versus watching it on TV. On TV you actually get to see more from better angles, but then there's the actual experience that can never be replaced.Good luck with your training. I'm intending to eventually go for my CFI, just so I can train guys as eager as you are, and I still am!.Bruce.

Guest Jimbofly

Good to hear you enjoyed your first flight!It will only get better from here!!So you think your sim experience has benefit your ability to control the plane? I'm a strong believer that flight simming can actually prepare you better for real flight.I hope you commit to getting your licence, you won't regret it!!!James

Congratulations, I'm in my instrument raining about to go on the IFR x-c block and then will be flying an Arrow for my complex rating followed by a seminole for my multi and commercial license.After that I'm headed to Grand Forks for the CFI part, I'm doing the UND cooperative agreement program here at Spokane Falls Community college that lets me get the first two years out of the way (flying and all) without the expensive university tuition.----------------------------------------------------------------John S. MorganReal World: KGEG, UND Aerospace Spokane Satillite, Private 130+ hrs.Virtual: MSFS 2004"There is a feeling about an airport that no other piece of ground can have. No matter what the name of the country on whose land it lies, an airport is a place you can see and touch that leads to a reality that can only be thought and felt." - The Bridge Across Forever: A Love Story by Richard Bach

John Morgan

"There is a feeling about an airport that no other piece of ground can have. No matter what the name of the country on whose land it lies, an airport is a place you can see and touch that leads to a reality that can only be thought and felt." - The Bridge Across Forever: A Love Story by Richard Bach

Your instuctor was a great deal more diplomatic than mine.If I recall correctly mine said " SON YOUR'E TRYING TO FLY THISAIRPLANE LIKE A MONKEY TRYING TO F*** A FOOTBALL". That was shortlybefore He hit me in the right shoulder with the fist sized metalmicrophone, that to this day, I suspect were only put in Cherokee'sto correct errant students.Congrats on your FLIGHT:) "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy"Ben FranklinDN

John,congrats on your first few flights... I think just about all of us have our share of problems, from overcontrolling like you said to fixating on the instruments and not looking outside, etc... :)Just think, the money you spend on upgrading the computer to fly the latests iteration of MSFS can be used to getting your real wings :)