Sign in to follow this  
shally17

Active Sky Next Vs Active Sky 2012

Hello,

I have been an avid user of Active Sky 2012 for many years now and enjoy being able to load a flight plan and have the weather for each sector of the flight. Can Active Sky next do this? Can somebody please outline the main differences between the two?

ASN is simply a completely new product.

The difference IMO is huge.

with ASN you can simply launch the program and forget about the rest.

If you want you can also load a FP but I never felt that necessary as the weather is updated and injected automatically with many intermediate stations.

I never realise when weather injection occurs, no stutters or hangs...and never had surprises when on final.

You can access historic weather and the weather search feature is great if you look for specific conditions.

Full overcast, fog and flying through the clouds are much better modeled.

I use REX for textures but when it comes to weather ASN has no competitors.

If I'm not wrong ASN is now on sale and (at least when I purchased) there was a discount for AS2012 users.

Just to add as well, the two products complement each other, ASN is not a replacement of AS2012. I use both alongside each other and am very happy with the result.

Ian S

38.jpg

Good to see that you guys are enjoying ASN.  While ASN has been designed for smooth weather loading from one reporting station to another the use of a flightplan will provide better coverage along your route.

\Robert Hamlich/

Just to add as well, the two products complement each other, ASN is not a replacement of AS2012. I use both alongside each other and am very happy with the result.

Actually, that isn't correct. ASN is a direct replacement to AS2012.

AS2012 and ASN should not be running together. They are both weather engines and will conflict.

The only thing AS2012 has that ASN does not are cloud textures. Once you choose your textures in AS2012, it should then be shut down and ASN should run on its own.

The real difference between AS2012 and ASN is how they control weather.

AS2012 uses SimConnect exclusively.

ASN also uses SimConnect, but it uses the as_btstrp.dll to actively hook into the program itself (much like FSUIPC does) to control weather in different ways SimConnect can not do. This allows, among many things, consistent smooth weather changes...no more popping clouds or sudden shifting winds.

* edited because I can't spell!!!

Devin Pollock
CYOW

BetaTeamB.png

Hi Folks,

While I now have ASN - is there any reason why the decision was made to stop including the textures ??? I did enjoy the included textures when using AS6...

Also - just a bit of feedback on the interface - I find the old AS6 interface method preferable with just about all the options set on a single page - or at least consolidated as much as possible - it seems like every little tweak has it's own individual page that you have to click into in ASN - seems cumbersome...

Still my weather engine of choice...

Regards,
Scott  

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

Actually, that isn't correct. ASN is a direct replacement to AS2012.

AS2012 and ASN should not be running together. They are both weather engines and will conflict.

The only thing AS2012 has that ASN does not are cloud textures. Once you choose your textures in AS2012, it should then be shut down and ASN should run on its own.

The real difference between AS2012 and ASN is how they control weather.

AS2012 uses SimConnect exclusively.

ASN also uses SimConnect, but it uses the as_btstrp.dll to actively hook into the program itself (much like FSUIPC does) to control weather in different ways SimConnect can not do. This allows, among many things, consistent smooth weather changes...no more popping clouds or sudden shifting winds.

* edited because I can't spell!!!

Yes, sorry, I didn't explain what I meant there very well. 

The way i see it, and correct me if I am wrong, AS2012 isn't obsolete and is still relevant for it's cloud textures and ground features such as runway ice, realistic apron staining, concrete/asphalt appearance, water appearance etc. As I say I still use AS2012 for that, whilst ASN injects my weather, with features such as wake turbulence and microbursts etc.

You are right, of course, that if I you have both programs running at the same time, it will cause a problem. 

Cheers

Ian

Ian S

38.jpg

Yes, sorry, I didn't explain what I meant there very well.

Gotcha!  No problem, just wanted to make sure!!  :)

Devin Pollock
CYOW

BetaTeamB.png