Sign in to follow this  
BrettT

Radius for drawing non-autogen buildings

Hi,

I have seen a good bit of posts which details the autogen LOD for buildings and trees but I have never seen anything with regards to what distance the non-autogen objects get drawn.   In this respect you can see the custom buildings of the Seattle skyline well beyond the autogen radius and the same holds true for airports, etc.  Is this distance documented anywhere.  Not necessarily looking to change the distance, just looking to get an idea of what it is.

Kind regards,

Brett

Interesting question indeed. I have searched this rule in the past without success.

However one of the configuration parameter has a large impact on it:  the "Wide view" option!

With this option enabled, the distance of scenery object drawing increases a lot.

Depending on the scene you are flying, it can have a huge impact on the CPU load.

This is the case for example with the great FranceVFR scenery which includes 3DA Technology, as this technology makes an intensive use of scenery objects.

Have a look to their last product: Paris Ile-de-France area, amazing!

So remember that Wide View option do not change only the field of view ;)

Roland

MSFS my local airport release: LFOR Chartres-Metropole

MSFS Plugins RAAS (registered FSUIPC7 required)

MSFS FX for Objects & Landmark in France (Steam and smoke) and Aerial coverage for French nuclear sites

I would ask this  at the FSDeveloper forums.  With all the developers there I would think someone would know.

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

Probably just the LODs set by the model designer. In other words, custom buildings have their own custom LODs. Trees and Autogen buildings have a common LOD which can be adjusted in the cfg file.

ok, I wasn't aware that custom buildings had their own LOD.  I was aware of the Trees and Autogen LOD.  Thanks

I may be wrong, but the LOD attribute for scenery object has an effect related to the "scenery complexity" slider position (it is drawn or not), not on the draw distance.

Roland

MSFS my local airport release: LFOR Chartres-Metropole

MSFS Plugins RAAS (registered FSUIPC7 required)

MSFS FX for Objects & Landmark in France (Steam and smoke) and Aerial coverage for French nuclear sites