Sign in to follow this  
macwino

Anyone using PFC USB turboprop TQ with Q400 or Turbo Duke v2?

Gordon,

Did you happen to notice if the console was recognized in P3D settings before using FSUIPC for setup? I have a Cirrus yoke arriving tomorrow and held off ordering the console and TQ to confirm compatibility, no need for the turbo prop function at this time just the standard twin engine quadrant. Is FSUIPC required to get it functioning?

Nice hardware!

Sorry Gary, I didn't actually try and assign the axes in P3D before I went straight into FSUIPC.

The throttle console does indeed show up in P3D as an available control device just like any other joystick/throttle; but I'm not 100% certain if the axes work via the default controller setup.

MSFS & XP11 - Aviatek G1000 Complex Desktop Trainer - Fulcrum One Yoke - TPR Rudder Pedals - VF TQ6 Throttle - LG 55" OLED Display

Well that is a good start, if it turns out I can not assign the axis options then I will use FSUIPC.

Gary Stewart

Just a follow up on the the PFC Cirrus yoke and throttle, in Win 8.1 with P3D V3.1.The OS recognized and will calibrate the yoke and throttle (the one built into the control yoke console), in P3D the yoke is recognized in the settings and will calibrate, but the throttle is not recognized as a throttle axis or a slider in the settings options.USB cable from the unit is to a direct PC USB 2.0 port, other controllers I use have no issues.

I tested the Cirrus yoke with an older PC with FSX, Win XP install and the yoke and throttle do work properly so it is not a PFC hardware problem.Now have to get up to speed with FSUIPC and see if it will work bypassing P3D settings. 

Night and day difference use the PFC yoke, very smooth in use.

Gary Stewart

I am using it on the Q400 and am having no problems calibrating it, either with FSUIPC or Majestic's utility.

However I am totally disappointed at how unrealistically stiff the detents are. To move the power levers into reverse requires so much force, I'd have to brace the console with my other hand or bolt it to my desk. On top of that, tech support is rather unhelpful. No suggestions except the telephonic equivalent of a shrug. A shame. Their sales, shipping and production staff could not be nicer, or more enthusiastic about their work.

Bottom line, though, reverse gates in real airplanes do not require two hands. Perhaps that sort of mechanism is simply too complex or costly to implement in something like this. That said, it is a 495-dollar product, and that's just for the quad, not the mandatory console.

Don't get me wrong, it is still world's ahead of Saitek. However, no one should have to pay so much money and then grind down detent ramps with a Dremel tool, just to make it work as intended.

Like everything else in this thing of ours, it's a tradeoff. On balance, I suspect, a decent one. Still, it leaves a bad taste.

Best,

Marshall

Marshall, I got notice of this post and your latest round the world video at the same time, and didn't know which to check out first. As you suggest, always tradeoffs. But the video will have to wait.

I'm glad to hear the turboprop TQ is indeed programmable for the Mighty Dash. I have ordered the TQ Console and the basic 6-lever TQ and they will be delivered tomorrow. I wanted to check out the basic setup and how comfortable I am with it before investing in the turboprop TQ and the 2-engine jet TQ.

I have some suggestions for how to handle the problem of securing a stiff TQ (and a sliding yoke for that matter) to a desk and thus avoid having to use two hands, bolts or clamps. I have a fancy desk that precludes me from using bolts or clamps. I've been using this system for about 15 years now and it has worked flawlessly with Saitek equipment. And so far it has worked just fine with my new PFC yoke (see below) and I intend to use it with the PFC TQs as well and fully expect that it will handle the problem of the turboprop TQ's stiff detents.

First, get a batch of Sticky Pads by HandStands Products. See http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001L2V3F2?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

I probably overdo it, but I use 4 such pads for the PFC yoke where 2 might be adequate. I place them on my desk so they line up with the 4 corners of the yoke and will not be seen once the yoke is in place. These are designed to protect my desk's surface from being damaged by the materials used in the next step. If this is not of concern, you can skip using these Sticky Pads. (I should note that I first tried using just these Sticky Pads and nothing else, but that never worked for me. There was simply not enough adhesion and things slid around.)

Second, get some Scotch heavy duty velcro-type fasteners. See, e.g.,

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00347A8EO/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_img?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3SWMZ4CK7JQCL&coliid=I1X8E39X5SSBZ4&psc=1

I do not separate the 2 parts of each strip and leave them stuck together. I remove the protective paper from one side of the strip and paste the strip to a Sticky Pad. I do this for all 4 Sticky Pads. Then I remove the protective paper from the top of the 4 strips to prepare them for adhering to the bottom of the yoke. Then I carefully place the yoke on top of the 4 Sticky Pads so that it will adhere to the strips, pressing down hard to ensure a strong seal. That's it. The yoke doesn't move an iota no matter how far you pull back or push forward.

As I said above, I plan on using this same procedure with the PFC TQ Console. I hope I will just have to secure the Console in this fashion and not the TQs themselves since they apparently lock into the Console. Indeed, if I were to have to secure the TQs themselves, I don't think my procedure would work and I'll have to come up with another solution or forego the PFC TQs.

Marshall, I hope this may be of assistance to you.

To those who've been participating in this thread and my other one concerning PFC hardware, here's where I'm at.

I got the PFC Cirrus Saab Yoke on Friday and couldn't be happier. It's a night and day difference from my Saitek yoke. My approaches and landings are nothing like they used to be—which is a good thing—and I couldn't be happier. The button I've assigned to elevator trim sticks occasionally, but I am hopeful that will work out with more use. Otherwise everything seems fine.

I miss a hat switch but have some workarounds that will just take some time getting used to. I'm able to use the hat switch on the GamePad I use with Opus Views for a circular movement around the aircraft or the cockpit, but can't seem to get the GamePad buttons to work for moving the POV say 45 degrees above or below the aircraft when in Locked Spot view; just left and right and up and down. Stephen at Opus uses an X-52 joystick to provide the missing hat switch and I may follow suit.

I'll provide more feedback next week.

Robert

Robert,

Excellent advice. I'm about to do something similar with 3M Command picture-hanging strips, Velcro on one side, and a non-permanent adhesive on the other that has very, very, very high shear-strength, so it resists slippage, but low adhesion otherwise.

I love those people! Same folks who turned a failed adhesive into Post-It notes! (And I'm taking a Dremel to the detents to make them ramp-in more smoothly.)

Best,

Marshall

Marshall, I will keep that Dremel (I had to look it up) in mind. Thanks for the tip. And I'll check out those 3M Command picture-hanging strips, which I'd been unaware of.

Thanks again,

Robert

My PFC Turboprop TQ is finally setup and I’m able to report back on my experience.

Basically, Gordon and Marshall have said it all. There’s nothing to it. It works just fine in the Dash 8 and the RealAir Turbo Duke v2. 

Yes, the firmness of the detents is a problem, as Marshall has noted, and—once I felt them myself— gave me serious second thoughts about whether my solution for affixing the TQ Console to my desk would work. In an abundance of caution, I used the four sticky pads I’d mentioned above, but covered them with more Scotch fasteners than I had originally anticipated. I used two feet of one inch wide Scotch fasteners, which is actually four feet of fasteners because you need to lay down two layers, one to adhere to the sticky pads and then another layer on top that will adhere to the bottom of the Console. There’s no movement of the Console at all, no matter how much force I need to pull the levers past the detents.

My chief remaining concern is whether I’ll ever be able to move both Power levers past the detents at the same time. I assume this is how real pilots do it, but am not sure. As it is now, they are so stiff I can handle only one at a time. So I have to be real quick after touchdown to keep the thrust symmetrical. This may ease up with continued usage, but Gordon’s video, which uses a TQ that’s a year old, suggests otherwise. It is possible, however, that his TQ, which he acquired used, my have seen little use and is essentially brand new like Marshall’s and mine. I’ve given some thought to Marshall’s suggestion to grind away some of the detent, but I’m somewhat concerned about gumming up the works with metal dust. I think I’ll first let Marshall experiment with this.

Calibrating, assigning and programming the levers is a cinch in Windows, fsuipc and in the Dash’s Control Panel. 

The only problem I’ve had is with assigning the Console’s Rudder Trim dial to the Dash. I just can’t come up with an assignment in fsuipc that will work. Gordon, in your video you show it working. Any chance you can let me know how you accomplished this? Might you have used Linda to make the assignment, which is what I plan to try next?

I also got 3- and 6-lever TQs and the Advanced Jet 2-engine TQ. All work as they should and, along with my Saab yoke, add a whole new dimension to my flying.

As long as I’m at it, let me add a note about programming the reverser levers on the Jet TQ. This gave me grief for awhile and it might be helpful to others who get this TQ. Please also bear in mind that I’m not a programmer, and my fsuipc skills rely on trial and error more than any understanding of what I’m doing. This solution may be obvious to others but didn’t dawn on me right away.

I knew from the start that I wouldn’t be able to assign fsuipc’s reverser commands to these levers. I knew you needed to use a button process similar to what you’d do with the 2-button area below the levers on a Saitek TQ, using fsuipc’s Throttle Cut and Throttle Decr commands. The problem I encountered was that on my machine the PFC gear requires that I reverse virtually all axis assignments made in fsuipc. I had great difficulty applying this to the reverser button programming. The trick is to setup the various parameters as you ordinarily would, forgetting about the need to reverse them. Then, simply swap the commands previously entered for ranges 1 and 2 and you’re set to go. Simple indeed, but took me awhile to figure out.

Thanks Gordon and Marshall for your valuable input. It really helped with my decision to proceed.

Robert

P.S.: Marshall, thanks for your recent P-47 videos. They induced me to take it out of storage.

Robert,

No. It's not realistic. Otherwise you'd have airliners sliding all over the runway due to assymetric reverse. A shame, but there it is. 

Will report back on the grinding and carving.

Best,

Marshall

Thought I might resurrect this thread as I have just received my PFC TQ with the same throttle sets including single, twin, Turbo Twin & 737 style jet.

As with you guys I have found the Turbo unit is very stiff going through the stops. Although I have only used it once in flight I was able to get into reverse on landing without much difficulty after Velcro'ing the TQ to my desk. I had already previously done the same to my SAAB yoke as my desk is laminate finished & quite smooth/slippery. Without the Velcro the whole unit would tip forward. The other throttles all work without causing this.

Although the throttles & Props seem to work OK with effort the port side condition lever is the one I have great difficulty with. It seems that I need to pull it quite a way to the left before I can move it to cut off.

I think also there seems to be a bit of a technique to getting these levers through the detentes as I found in the short time I have played around with the throttle I seemed to be able to get it to work easier at times than others.

Anyway have any of you guys anything further to report on this issue? Has the movement become easier after some use or has the Dremel had to be used? I have fired off an email to tech support but after reading through these posts again this morning it doesn't look like I'll receive much help there though. I did however get great service from the sales staff & shipment of my set was faster than anticipated & arrived in Australia in a few days. I received an email re shipping on the Friday morning & tracking had the shipment leaving Sydney by Sunday morning. I'm in Brisbane & delivery was early yesterday morning Wednesday my time. Original advice was that shipment was forecast to leave the factory that day, not delivered. Can't complain about that!

On another note I was using the Real Air Duke with the turbo throttles & although early days I found the aircraft really twitched around badly when adjusting the props. Any of you guys had the same? I did however like that as I returned the throttle to idle the Beta lights came on on the panel. Made taxiing a lot easier being able to use Beta mode.

All in all most impressed with the build quality & smoothness of the units, just like the yoke which I have had for about six years now. Definitely recommend them (although the wife & my bank balance aren't so sure) :-)

Cheers,

Ross

Cheers, Ross

i910900KF | ASUS ROG Maximus XIII Extreme Z590 | ASUS ROG STRIX RTX3070 OC 8Gb | 32Gb G.Skill  Ripjaws DDR4 3200 I  Thermaltake Water 3.0 Riing | Samsung SSD 870 1TB GB HD | WIN 10 64 Bit

Ross,

Sorry, but there's not much more I can add to what's already been said in this thread and what you've found yourself to be the case. 

Specifically, the Turbo TQ levers have worked just fine for me once I figured out the amount of side and back pressure to apply. No need for any grinding. And they may have loosened up a bit, but I can't really say for sure. In sum, I think I've adapted to their stiffness and just brace myself when approaching a detent.

Also, I've not experienced the problem you've encountered with the prop levers on the Turbo Duke. Perhaps you need to sync their calibration in fsuipc.

All in all, I'm very pleased with the PFC yoke and TQs. But it goes without saying that the Turbo TQ is a bear to set up for each plane involved, But I've found that with lots of trial and error it can be done.

Robert

Thanks for the update folks.  My X-52 is needing to be replaced and was wanting to go the PFC yoke and TQ route.

blaustern

I Earned My Spurs in Vietnam

Thanks for the reply Robert, 

I have been in touch with PFC Tech support & they have requested a photo of the back of the throttle which I have supplied. Am awaiting their reply. I can see the gap between the condition levers are different to the others.

I am also having a problem with the Jet throttle. No.2 Throttle lever when retarded also moves both the levers beside it slightly. Thus when doing an approach in the PMDG B737NGX I have to be aware that too much movement will increase my flaps setting & move the No. 2 reverser away from the stops causing it to misfire on landing. Have to ensure it's back to the top after selecting idle thrust prior to touch down. This is more of an issue for me than the stiff levers in the turbo because like you I am getting a bit used to them & the actual throttle levers are OK, it's the props & port condition that are the main problem for me. 

Tech support are looking into both for me.

Have spent some more time with the set up for the Duke & using FSUIPC have calibrated & synced(?) the props so they are not as overly responsive as they were. Sloooow movement of the levers is helping also.

Hi Wilhelm,

Despite these issues I am still happy with the product.

They are so precise & smooth & really are a long way from the Saiteks I have had for years. I have been lucky with them as I see a lot of guys complaining they only got a year or two out of theirs however mine lasted much longer. Unfortunately the pots are going in them & so it was time to move on. I'm expecting having bought the PFC product that like my SAAB yoke they will last & not need replacing again. I have had my yoke for about 6 or 7 years now & it shows no signs of wear yet. I had gone through three Saiteks in the same period.

If you decide to go down the PFC path I'm sure you won't regret it. 

BTW my single & twin TQ's are perfect & a delight to use as are the other two despite the reported issues. 

Still getting used to the cold touch as they are all metal & it's still cool in the mornings here in Australia. :smile:

If you have any questions just fire away, happy to respond.

Cheers guys,

Ross

Cheers, Ross

i910900KF | ASUS ROG Maximus XIII Extreme Z590 | ASUS ROG STRIX RTX3070 OC 8Gb | 32Gb G.Skill  Ripjaws DDR4 3200 I  Thermaltake Water 3.0 Riing | Samsung SSD 870 1TB GB HD | WIN 10 64 Bit

Thanks for the reply Robert, 

I have been in touch with PFC Tech support & they have requested a photo of the back of the throttle which I have supplied. Am awaiting their reply. I can see the gap between the condition levers are different to the others.

I am also having a problem with the Jet throttle. No.2 Throttle lever when retarded also moves both the levers beside it slightly. Thus when doing an approach in the PMDG B737NGX I have to be aware that too much movement will increase my flaps setting & move the No. 2 reverser away from the stops causing it to misfire on landing. Have to ensure it's back to the top after selecting idle thrust prior to touch down. This is more of an issue for me than the stiff levers in the turbo because like you I am getting a bit used to them & the actual throttle levers are OK, it's the props & port condition that are the main problem for me. 

Tech support are looking into both for me.

Have spent some more time with the set up for the Duke & using FSUIPC have calibrated & synced(?) the props so they are not as overly responsive as they were. Sloooow movement of the levers is helping also.

Hi Wilhelm,

Despite these issues I am still happy with the product.

They are so precise & smooth & really are a long way from the Saiteks I have had for years. I have been lucky with them as I see a lot of guys complaining they only got a year or two out of theirs however mine lasted much longer. Unfortunately the pots are going in them & so it was time to move on. I'm expecting having bought the PFC product that like my SAAB yoke they will last & not need replacing again. I have had my yoke for about 6 or 7 years now & it shows no signs of wear yet. I had gone through three Saiteks in the same period.

If you decide to go down the PFC path I'm sure you won't regret it. 

BTW my single & twin TQ's are perfect & a delight to use as are the other two despite the reported issues. 

Still getting used to the cold touch as they are all metal & it's still cool in the mornings here in Australia. :smile:

If you have any questions just fire away, happy to respond.

Cheers guys,

Ross

I also have the PFC Cirrus Yoke, Boeing rudder pedals and the throttle quadrant with several handle sets.

I love them and couldn't be without them now.

I went to the hardware store and got a roll of industrial velcro to fasten mine to the table.  It works great.