Sign in to follow this  
airernie

Replacement for Plan-G

I have been long time user of Plan-G and have made donations for both v2.x and v3.x.

However, I run Plan-G on a network and have always had issues with it crashing and none more so than lately.  

It works, but still crashes a minimum of once per flight, usually several times.  I have reached my breaking point and am looking for a replacement.

What I like; Runs across a network, moving map that uses Google maps.  Ability to import flight plans from Simbrief.  Navigraph support.  Ability to create flight plans and edit them in flight and see the intersections, waypoints, NDBs, VORs, airports, etc. on screen. Ability to track flight, including VATSIM.  I could keep going, but... :-)

I have tried SimLauncher X and it doesn't cut it for me, so I'm willing to go commercial.

So far the closest that I have come appears to be FS Commander.  It can be made to run across the network but only with Wide FS, which is an additional cost.

I don't need a full-blown PXPX level planner, but are there any others with Plan-G type features?

Thanks,

Ernie

Ernest Pergrem

Have you tried this? http://vfrflight.org

It is primarily for VFR. Here is the check across your demands:

+ Runs across a network,

+ moving map that uses Google maps.

Ability to create flight plans and edit them in flight

see intersections, waypoints, NDBs, VORs, airports, etc. on screen

Ability to track flight

- Ability to import flight plans from Simbrief.

- Ability to track VATSIM

(planned) Navigraph support.

Lukasz Kulasek

i7-8700k, RTX 2080 TI, 32 GB RAM, ASUS TUF Z370-PRO Gaming, Oculus Rift CV1

I have been long time user of Plan-G and have made donations for both v2.x and v3.x.

However, I run Plan-G on a network and have always had issues with it crashing and none more so than lately.  

It works, but still crashes a minimum of once per flight, usually several times.  I have reached my breaking point and am looking for a replacement.

What I like; Runs across a network, moving map that uses Google maps.  Ability to import flight plans from Simbrief.  Navigraph support.  Ability to create flight plans and edit them in flight and see the intersections, waypoints, NDBs, VORs, airports, etc. on screen. Ability to track flight, including VATSIM.  I could keep going, but... :-)

Are you sure that you're using the latest version? Plan-G hasn't used Google maps for some time. According to the website, the latest version is 3.1.3.113.

Have you tried this? http://vfrflight.org

It is primarily for VFR. Here is the check across your demands:

+ Runs across a network,

+ moving map that uses Google maps.

Ability to create flight plans and edit them in flight

see intersections, waypoints, NDBs, VORs, airports, etc. on screen

Ability to track flight

- Ability to import flight plans from Simbrief.

- Ability to track VATSIM

(planned) Navigraph support.

Looks like a good program but, unfortunately it needs Java installing which, unless it's been significantly updated recently, used to be one of the riskiest things to install on a PC - see  http://arstechnica.co.uk/information-technology/2015/12/oracle-settles-with-ftc-over-javas-deceptive-security-patching/ and http://www.csoonline.com/article/2875535/application-security/java-is-the-biggest-vulnerability-for-us-computers.html

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

I had the same problem until I turned off AI in Plan-G.  Give that a try if you haven't done so already.

Thanks,

Sorry, Google maps was just a generic term.  I just used it because I couldn't think of what maps v3 used, although I think it is OSM.

I've always had issues with it crashing,  even with v2.  It just seems that the two most recent versions do it more so.  Despite multiple downloading, installing and uninstalling. 

I've tried turning off AI, VATSIM, airports, running just the moving map, etc.  Essentially everything and it still crashes at some point during my connection.

That's what is sending me in search of a replacement.  There is nothing that I have been able to do to resolve the issue, which really sucks because Plan-G is one of my favorite apps.

Ernest Pergrem

Can't say I have ever had a problem with Plan-G myself...but then all systems are different.

By the way, I have read in a Technology Magazine, that Oracle are about to abandon Java all together in the very near future.  Similar to Adobe and Flash, it seems.  HTML5 seems to be the alternative of choice as far as Flash is concerned.

Arnie....if it ain't broke, don't fix it...

By the way, I have read in a Technology Magazine, that Oracle are about to abandon Java all together in the very near future.  Similar to Adobe and Flash, it seems.  HTML5 seems to be the alternative of choice as far as Flash is concerned.

Do you have a link for this? It is very unlikely that Java would 'die' in the following years, there are still thousands of enterprise systems based on this (I've been working in 3 banks so far, all of them use Java extensively).

I guess what you could mean is that Java Applets are going to be abandoned.

Sorry for off-topic, but converting coffee for java code is what I do, to pay my bills  :smile: .

Lukasz Kulasek

i7-8700k, RTX 2080 TI, 32 GB RAM, ASUS TUF Z370-PRO Gaming, Oculus Rift CV1

Links, no, sorry.  It was read in an hard copy magazine just before Xmas, here in the UK.

Arnie....if it ain't broke, don't fix it...

Can't say I have ever had a problem with Plan-G myself...but then all systems are different.

I really wish that I could say that. 

Yesterday, I downloaded and installed the latest version, for like the fifth time.  Why?  So I could build the XPlane navigation database using the Navigraph AIRAC data.  All done, but Plan-G won't display the labels now for any of the airports or navigation aids, including FSX.  If I do a search, they are in the database .. the labels just won't appear.

This is not a new issue.  It happens every time I update the AIRAC data and involves me installing the previous version so I can see the labels.. :-(

Ernest Pergrem