Sign in to follow this  
Noel

Ideas on what might have gone wrong?

My bad for not following the basic approach of install one add-on, test, then install another add-on, test, etc.  I didn't do that because with P3D 2.3 (my former version until a few days ago) I never had to.

After a PC meltdown which turned out to be the drive P3D lived on became unbootable, but tested out fine, so did a wipe and reinstall of OS and P3D.   Did a bit of flying until I decided to get on w/ install of FTX Global, FTX NCA, one FTX airport, REX E+ and finally Estonia MT's provisional P3D version 3 build in order to get the FSGenesis West Coast mesh installed.  Finally, RealAir's Turbine Duke--all of these except EMT had installers for P3D version 3 and I had downloaded the latest of these.

Not too long after initiating any flight, most from the same airport in my home town in the NCA region, the sim would lock up and necessitate a hard shut down.   Odd beeps happened and it reminded me of having IRQ conflicts or something from decades ago.   I wondered if maybe something else beyond the corrupted MBR on the SSD was happening hardware-wise.  So I removed everything P3D--all of the add ons, P3D, etc.  Then re-ran the Intel Desktop Processor Tool and Prime95--both passed just fine.   SMART evaluation looks fine on the SSD involved as well as AIDA64's drive read suite of tests.  I've used 2.3 flawlessly since 2014 and have lots of experience w/ setup and configuration of everything.  So I'm stumped again.  Have no idea if it's something to do with any of those add ons.  I started by uninstalling EMT, retest, P3D still would run for a few minutes then seize up.  Same same for REX E+, then Turbine Duke, no improvement so finally gave up and as I say removed everything and will start over again and give it one more try.  

So if you will, is it considered safe to install P3D version 3 with these allegedly version 3 compatible add ons?  I really have no idea what went wrong.  Probably should have tested everything BEFORE I added the Estonia tool.   Anyway, a sad introduction to version 3 which I was very much on the fence on installing, quite frankly for fear of having to deal with this sort of thing.

Thanks in advance--I know it could be just about anything but if you have some ideas about what is proven to work w/ version 3 that would be great.  Did not install Vector, just the add ons mentioned above.

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

Is it just P3D that hangs (i.e. can you run other programs/games successfully)?

I don't use EMT - you should use the native installers where possible - or just accept some products won't work in P3D v3 (yet)

I can't say if this is causing your problems though

Does vanilla install work fine?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

My bad for not following the basic approach of install one add-on, test, then install another add-on, test, etc.  I didn't do that because with P3D 2.3 (my former version until a few days ago) I never had to.

Noel didn't you have a bunch of problems with your pc - well it looks like you still do - something hardware wise is broken - its not flightsim - flightsim is bringing out issues once you push the pc - you really need to solve a hardware problem before proceeding to a software that will expose it - sorry to tell you that but thats your problem - you need to nail that down first

Rich Sennett

I still think theres something wrong with your video card - that or the power supply 

Forget all of this mumbo jumbo from your last thread 

Replace both of those or borrow to diagnose - your getting nowhere fast imo

Problem solved - this is what my guts says and its usually right when it comes to pc problems

Rich Sennett

I'd say the drive that initially failed is still bad.  I would try a different drive or purchase a new one as they are pretty inexpensive now.

Sean Green

If a drive exhibits symptoms like yours did, it is dumpster time for the drive, unless you want to waste time and energy reinstalling everything until it fails again. 

• Upvote 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS

I'd say the drive that initially failed is still bad.  I would try a different drive or purchase a new one as they are pretty inexpensive now.

Could still be a drive also - agree on that - I dont believe any of this so called diagnostic software is that reliable - suck it up and buy the new hardware - 9 times out of 10 when it acts up like this its hardware - hard pill to swallow as we have all been there - but the time wasted is not helping matters - its not P3D thats for sure

Rich Sennett

Using any Saitek equipment?

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Could be a lot of things, but sounds like hardware related. These situations suck because you have to either do trial and error on replacing hardware components or suck it up and buy a new system.  I would probably start by looking at the power supply unit. 

Did you try turning graphics settings all down to minimum (low resolution, all sliders to minimum, etc.)?

I'd check to see if there might be a firmware update available for your SSD. It's easy enough to do and doesn't cost anything. I spent 3 weeks once trying to figure out WTH was wrong with my PC having similar problems and a 5 min firmware update ultimately fixed it. Might be worth looking into.

Jim

The only way to really eliminate the hardware is to completely reinstall P3D with NO addons of any type and fly for a few days with the defaults. If all is well, your hardware is probably fine.

If you still get the crashes - monitor your heat on the CPU and VIDEO card, run Memtest on the memory, one stick at a time. Also run OCCT - http://www.ocbase.com/ - it stresses the SYSTEM much as FSX/P3D would and is a better stress test that P95.

I have seen this type of corruption on some systems that use the EMT but, in this case, there is no positive proof that it is the culprit.

If the hardware is ok - you know the drill - install one at a time and test for a day or so - I would not use EMT at this time.

Rinse and repeat.

Good luck!

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Seems like a RAM issue to me. Have you ran memtest?

Yes did the full memtest and all checked out fine.

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X