Sign in to follow this  
Noel

Ideas on what might have gone wrong?

I agree with Rich, something is going on hardware (or hardware driver) wise.

How long did you run Prime95? Did you run a graphics card benchmarking tool like Furmark (http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/fur/ ) to see if it's the video card?

I ask because Prime95 doesn't task the video card at all, only the CPU/FSB/RAM...

You seem like a computer savvy person, so I've avoided asking the stupid questions, but it does definitely seem like it's hardware or driver related.

Driver Fusion is a tool I've used in the past to scan and uninstall old drivers that may be causing issues: https://treexy.com/products/driver-fusion

Philip Manhart  :American Flag:

13.jpg

- "Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." ~ Plato

I'll ask again... using any Saitek equipment?

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

I'd check to see if there might be a firmware update available for your SSD. It's easy enough to do and doesn't cost anything. I spent 3 weeks once trying to figure out WTH was wrong with my PC having similar problems and a 5 min firmware update ultimately fixed it. Might be worth looking into.

Jim

Jim, ran the Samsung Magician software which indicated my 840 SSD had the current firmware installed so that appears to be ruled out now thanks.

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

LMAO... ok, there's an issue with Saitek and Prepar3D. I have, as example, the Saitek trim wheel. It will crash the mouse driver... cause incessant beeping from mouse movement and pretty much shut down 100% user input to the OS requiring a hard boot.

Sound familiar at all?

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Not the EMT - works perfectly

Not true Rich. On *some* systems there have been various instances of file corruption causing all sorts of issues. So far no rhyme nor reason as to which systems have issues or even why - but I'd still say use with caution.

Vic

Yes did the full memtest and all checked out fine.

Unless they've made a radical change recently. the sticks must be checked individually - the modern error correcting feature can hide some errors if all memory is checked at once.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Is it just P3D that hangs (i.e. can you run other programs/games successfully)?

I booted to a different bootable HDD, and played FarCry 4 at max settings for about 25 minutes w/ my CPU at 4.32Ghz and was flawlessly and this suggests the GPU is ok fine.

I had no other software besides the OS and some testing tools on my P3D SSD so could not try anything else on that drive before I deleted P3D v3.

Ed--I worked all day today.

Yes, I use the Proflight Yoke/TQ & Cessna Trim wheel in P3D v2.3 for 2.7 years on the same machine.

I booted to a different bootable HDD, and played FarCry 4 at max settings for about 25 minutes w/ my CPU at 4.32Ghz and was flawlessly and this suggests the GPU is ok fine.

I had no other software besides the OS and some testing tools on my P3D SSD so could not try anything else on that drive before I deleted P3D v3.

Yes, I use the Proflight Yoke/TQ & Cessna Trim wheel in P3D v2.3 for 2.7 years on the same machine.

LMAO... ok, there's an issue with Saitek and Prepar3D. I have, as example, the Saitek trim wheel. It will crash the mouse driver... cause incessant beeping from mouse movement and pretty much shut down 100% user input to the OS requiring a hard boot.

Sound familiar at all?

Yes it sure does so sounds a likely candidate.  It definitely as I mentioned seemed like a hardware conflict (I said IRQ).  The next question quite clearly is:  why now?  2.7y w/ P3D version 2.3 no problems w/ those 3 Saitek parts.  Was this present for you with P3D 2.3?  I think I had the trim wheel connected before I loaded the driver which always used to be a no no but I have no idea if more modern OS solved this prior OS issue.

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

Sound familiar at all?

Yes it sure does so sounds a likely candidate.  It definitely as I mentioned seemed like a hardware conflict (I said IRQ).  The next question quite clearly is:  why now?  2.7y w/ P3D version 2.3 no problems w/ those 3 Saitek parts.  Was this present for you with P3D 2.3?  I think I had the trim wheel connected before I loaded the driver which always used to be a no no but I have no idea if more modern OS solved this prior OS issue.

The only way to really eliminate the hardware is to completely reinstall P3D with NO addons of any type and fly for a few days with the defaults. If all is well, your hardware is probably fine.

If you still get the crashes - monitor your heat on the CPU and VIDEO card, run Memtest on the memory, one stick at a time. Also run OCCT - http://www.ocbase.com/ - it stresses the SYSTEM much as FSX/P3D would and is a better stress test that P95.

I have seen this type of corruption on some systems that use the EMT but, in this case, there is no positive proof that it is the culprit.

If the hardware is ok - you know the drill - install one at a time and test for a day or so - I would not use EMT at this time.

Rinse and repeat.

Good luck!

Vic

One stick at a time I think I can do but the massive Noctua may cover up two of four sticks so might not be doable.  As mentioned I ran FarCry 4 with max settings and maybe it's not memory intensive but a very long booted memtest86 showed no errors FWIW but w/ all 4 errors.  

Yes, I will plan on clean install of P3D version 3 but after investigating the Saitek issue Ed brings up.   I am wondering if something happened when I installed the software for the trim wheel AFTER I connected the trim wheel, which I know used to not be a good thing. 

Thanks all I'll keep trying.   I'm leaning towards hardware conflict from the trim wheel thanks Ed.  An easy test is to move the mouse over to a PS/2 port which uses different I/O and maybe IRQ I don't know but simple to try.

Noel

why now?

Of that I have no answer. L-M says it's something to do with the driver... Saitek isn't talking at all.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

With regard to the Saitek trim wheel (if it is that causing the issues), you can still use it. What you have to do it spin it a few times before starting P3D. Once you hear the little windows sound play that tells you it has now been recognised, you can start the sim as normal and use the trim wheel fine. You just have to remember to spin it before starting every time. It's so ingrained in my mind now that I always spin it when windows starts, no matter if I'm using P3D or not!

Good luck with it.

Stuart Furley

With regard to the Saitek trim wheel (if it is that causing the issues), you can still use it. What you have to do it spin it a few times before starting P3D. Once you hear the little windows sound play that tells you it has now been recognised, you can start the sim as normal and use the trim wheel fine. You just have to remember to spin it before starting every time. It's so ingrained in my mind now that I always spin it when windows starts, no matter if I'm using P3D or not!

Good luck with it.

Yes this was true w/ 2.3 and I had contacted Saitek as soon as I noticed suggesting this is something they could program into their driver but I guess it never happened.  You can also unplug and replug the trim wheel back in when you forget to initialize it and that works fine too.  This is not the issue per se I'm having now.

Of that I have no answer. L-M says it's something to do with the driver... Saitek isn't talking at all.

I tried moving the mouse to a PS/2 port but same issue happens and that is after reinstalling P3D version 3 so no joy there.

Do you know if this issue is purported to be happening w/ earlier versions like 2.3?  As I say I used it for 2.7y w/ no conflict and all was well.  I will try uninstalling the trim wheel driver and see what happens w/ that.   If it's still hosed I guess next stop is look for a prior driver w/ the trim wheel which may have come on a CD I will look.

Does LM say there was an issue w/ version 2.3 do you know?

Noel

I just read several posts on this thread:  http://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6315&t=113948&start=45

This is definitely the issue for me, but what I gather from comments there is that this began mostly w/ P3D v3, and is happening even w/ some people who do not use the Saitek trim wheel.  Others report no problems in prior versions of P3D other than the known issue that you have to 'wake up' the OS to the trim wheel by spinning the wheel before starting P3D.  I hope I can disable the device in DM and uninstall the driver w/o the need to do a complete wipe and reinstall of OS and P3D.  ******* what a tricking headache.  I truly didn't want to waste 10 minutes on any of this and new I was opening myself up to this w/ new versions of P3D!   LM may be blaming Saitek, but in the end Saitek worked w/ earlier versions so that accusation is convenient but spurious.

Noel

Not true Rich. On *some* systems there have been various instances of file corruption causing all sorts of issues. So far no rhyme nor reason as to which systems have issues or even why - but I'd still say use with caution.

Vic

Possibly but I have not had one issue with it but I only use it to install UT2 - Shade and some FSGenesis mesh - so not being used much on my end

Rich Sennett

- so not being used much on my end

And still you feel qualified to categorically state " Not the EMT - works perfectly " ??  you may also want to note that developers like Eaglesoft advise against the use of it with their products.

Cheers, Søren Dissing

CPU: Intel i9-13900K @5.6-5.8 Ghz | Cooler: ASUS ROG RYUJIN III | GPU: ASUS Strix RTX4090 OC | MoBo: ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Hero | RAM: 64Gb DDR5 @5600 | SSDs: 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (Win11), 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (MSFS), | Case: ASUS ROG Helios 601 | Monitors: HP Reverb G2, 28" ASUS PB287Q 4K | Additional Hardware: TM TCA Captain's Edition, Tobii 5 | OS: Win 11 Pro 64 | Sim: MSFS | BA Virtual | PSXT, RealTraffic w/ AIG models

I get a chuckle when reading all these EMT posts. The need for the app is fairly minimal these days unless one wants to use a lot of legacy FSX stuff in P3d V3. And even in that case, EMT is only needed if the legacy addon is adamant about installing in the FSX main folder. EMT will eventually go the way of a lot of other Flight Sim addons, that is unless there's a new version that cobbles FSX addon installations into the new DTG Flight Sim. That ought to be good for a laugh.

• Upvote 2

@Jay.  Can't you just see the future posts? "It worked perfectly in FS9 so why won't it work in DTGFS" ?  Here we go again....  80P 

• Upvote 2