Sign in to follow this  
vc10man

World's Longest Flight Record Set Today

I will be flying from Dubai to Auckland next month, and the flight goes via Melbourne where there is a 5 hour wait. So, flight to Melbourne is 13.5 hours (plus stop in Bangkok), plus 5 hours wait, plus another 3 hour flight. How I wish I could just book myself onto this flight instead of 26 hours,although I think that amount of time in cattle-class without a break would be severe punishment with the amount of space Emirates give to us mere mortals who can't afford first-class.

That aircraft constantly amazes

I had no problems with space on their A380 from Perth to Dubai. Found it quite comfortable in fact and able to plug-in my smartphone via the ICE panel USB port in front of me. In fact 8 times out of 10 I choose to fly Emirates because they are one airline that does offer a fairly comfortable Economy Class ride.

I think it depends on the plane. I flew on their A380 to Japan and it had a little more space than the Boeing 777 they use to fly to Melbourne, but it was still very uncomfortable if you're quite tall.

Flying to New Zealand all the way from Warsaw last year took around 30 hours (with 3 stops), and I was completely dead when it was finally over.

Aaha, I did not factor in being tall. I'm only 5-foot-eight, so had no issues. Yes, clean forgot to take in that for tall frames, sat cooped-up in Economy no matter if the aircraft is supposed to be the cavernous A380, can be a problem, specially on very long flights. Pity airlines only think less seat pitch=more $$$, and do not cater for tall people. Pity there are no super-fast ships that could skim the oceans and get one to one's destination fairly quickly but with a great degree of comfort, and thus give the airlines food for thought.

In Flight Entertainment was a big part of early Emirates A380 passenger appeal, and a trans-Tasman hop is like an adventure unfinished!

Having said that, 17 hours in cattle class would leave a permanent scar on your psyche.

Air NZ has a "premium Economy" section for those with longer legs and not enough cash - quite good value.

Auckland-Johannesburg was talked about when the 787 was a concept, should be do-able at 12,000km but also a very long trip time.

Problem is Auckland is a very long way away from ... everything, so you cannot easily stage a journey.    

The in-flight entertainment is pretty good on Emirates, but it depends on the plane. The 777 they use to fly from Warsaw to Dubai has a really bad quality screen and I prefer to just use my tablet, but the A380 has a large clear screen and a good selection of movies or TV shows. I remember the last flight I did I watched an entire season of the Big Bang Theory :)

I've always thought I'd love to move out to New Zealand permanently but it's just so far away and I'd miss Europe too much (it's not like I could easily pop back)

Guest JustanotherPilot

And not one A380 sold to a US carrier.

And not one A380 sold to a US carrier.

It doesn't fit the US airlines business model. They like smaller and more of them to offer the passenger more option for departure times to remain competitive with each other. Reason why so many Embraer's Bombardiers, 737's, and A320's. Lots of them and lots more routes. For long haul the A330's, 767, 777 and now the 787 makes sense as they are smaller and you can buy more of them and offer more for your customer.

Best comparison is Air New Zealand to QANTAS. Air New Zealand went with Boeings for long haul and have 26 aircraft from 767, 777 and 787. QANTAS went with 12 A380's and kept 11 747's in service. Air New Zealand has been more profitable with its approach as they have more variety of aircraft for long haul and smaller allowing more options for its customers. QANTAS has struggled financially with their approach as bigger means less flexibility.

A380's work well with Emirates because they are bringing the world to Dubai making that the Las Vegas of the Middle East. They are remote so the aircraft works well for them in bringing large numbers to one hub ever greater distances.

USA has many destinations so a larger aircraft is not as good an option, smaller and more of them to serve a bigger market with more destinations and more routes is what works best for its highly competitive market. 

Matthew Kane

Yes interesting US carriers seem to favour higher frequency/lower capacity aircraft.

Not one 747-8I sold there either.

Most of their international traffic is carried on A330-class aircraft.

What amazes me are the 1st Class 'suites'... I've always wondered what those berths cost!

If $$ wasn't an issue, I'd think those would be the way to go for such a long flight!

Alan  :smile:

COSIMbanner_AVSIM3.jpg

You can Google "Emirates first class suite cost" and then idle away a moment, wondering about who would spend that kind of money, and whose money it might be!

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/2015/08/27/emirates-a380-first-class-review/

In the real world, Air NZ's B777-300ER has a herring-bone Bizclass layout which has won some awards.

You are not aware of fellow passengers (unless you are in the couples section) and barely aware that you are flying.

WOW... 15 to 26K for one of those! 

Better start playing the Lottery...  :Tounge:

Alan  :smile:

COSIMbanner_AVSIM3.jpg