Sign in to follow this  
cropduster

Basic going to XPlane from P3D

Considering trying out XPlane, what are the base element or add ons I need to start this?  I fly only airliners in P3D, appreciate any insight, the graphics and the night lighting look terrific in X Plane.

HD Mesh Scenery v3 and the UHD ;start with that, happy download ...

x camera

FF767

Mister x airports

Min, 24gb RAM

I need a minimum of 24gb of RAM?  seems like a lot?  I have an I7 4790K, GTX970 but only 8GB of Ram.  

I need a minimum of 24gb of RAM?  seems like a lot?  I have an I7 4790K, GTX970 but only 8GB of Ram.  

you dont need minimum of this at all. you can get by with 8 gig but if you can upgrade your ram to 16. the more memory you have the better. 

people even run xplane with 4 gig. 

you can also download xplane on steam for usually half the price. 

YEP people run P3DV3 with AMD an GTX 220 TOO

UHD Mesh Scenery requires 16 but that was nt enouph for my settup ...

I did purchase it when it was on sale this past xmas, just nervous about learning a totally different sim.  Been with FSX for 20 years!

I ran UHD meshes (Norway) with 8Gb with extreme resolution without any issues. So saying you need 24 minimum is rather fallacious, but obviously the more you have the better.

Besides that, get FlywithLua package + Real Terra Haze.

• Upvote 1

Do I need anything like FSUIPC for controller set up?

I ahve saitek for yoke and rudder pedals and then Throttletek for throttles.

Do I need anything like FSUIPC for controller set up?

I ahve saitek for yoke and rudder pedals and then Throttletek for throttles.

Not really, you don't need it. I have a full Saitek setup and I use the free X-Assign plug in. With it, you can create a control profile and save it per aircraft type, for example if you have a 727, set up your controls in XP, then hit save in XAssign and it will save that setup...you can even save three different control profiles per aircraft.

I did purchase it when it was on sale this past xmas, just nervous about learning a totally different sim.  Been with FSX for 20 years!

It's a new sim and it's quite a different beast than FSX and will take some getting used to (especially the UI and controls). However if you spend the time with it and not give up because it isn't FSX, then you're in for a treat. Plus, don't uninstall FSX just because you have XP installed like others seem to think they have to. I used both (Well, P3D) quite happily.

Regarding memory, if you're going to use UHD mesh or detailed object scenery such as W2XP, then you'll almost certainly need 16GB for smoothness. 8GB however will quite happily run HD Mesh v3, and addons.

If you fly heavies you'll be disappointed. Traffic AI programs have been a desert. The resident AI traffic is junk. Don't like World Traffic at all. The ATC is poor. This might be changing with the release of X-Life. A beginning attempt to address the vacuum of traffic AI with a growing list of airports. Nothing like Ultimate Traffic/MyTraffic though but  a start. It has a decent ATC if you purchase the deluxe version.

I'm trying out Pilot2ATC and I must say this is very nice. 15 day trial and this is an ATC I think I can finally settle on.

http://jardesign.org/

(X-Life)

http://pilot2atc.com/

Ryzen 7 5800x, 32gb, RX 6900XT 16gb

Don't uninstall your P3D, because it will take quite a while to get comfortable with X-Plane and you will need a brake from the stress of learning every now and then. So you can still have P3D to fall back on.

I've been using X-Plane for several years now, and I'm still learning. 

X-Plane has improved immensely in the last few years.

If you fly heavies you'll be disappointed. Traffic AI programs have been a desert. The resident AI traffic is junk. Don't like World Traffic at all. The ATC is poor. This might be changing with the release of X-Life. A beginning attempt to address the vacuum of traffic AI with a growing list of airports. Nothing like Ultimate Traffic/MyTraffic though but  a start. It has a decent ATC if you purchase the deluxe version.

I'm trying out Pilot2ATC and I must say this is very nice. 15 day trial and this is an ATC I think I can finally settle on.

(X-Life)

I use Pilot2ATC and like it better than any other ATC program in any sim. P2ATC can also be used on P3D, which is very  cool.

I haven't tried X-Life yet, but it sounds like exactly what X-Plane needs.

• Upvote 1

(X-Life)

I agree. In fact I got it on your recommendation from the other thread. What I do is plan the flight with PFPX and then import it into Pilot2ATC. I've been having some problems slaving the plane's AP/NAV/HDG to Pilot's AP. For example, I tried the AP/HDG/NAV process on the EMB -175 and it wouldn't take. I could move the HDG, ALT bugs as an example but it wouldn't take with airplane. I tried this as well with FJS's Q400. The planes wouldn't slave to the AP. But maybe I'm doing something wrong.

Ryzen 7 5800x, 32gb, RX 6900XT 16gb

If you like flying to Spain you can install SpainUHD's photoreal scenery, it's stunning!

Be warned though, the whole of Spain is about 400 GB!! I recommend trying the Canary Islands or Balearic Islands first.

Jaime Beneyto

My real life aviation and flight simulation videos [English and Spanish]

System: i9 9900k OC 5.0 GHz | RTX 2080 Super | 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | Asus Z390-F