Sign in to follow this  
flyinpilot212121

Looking at a new add-on purchase

For ground textures you might want to look at FTX Global Base  https://fullterrain.com/  .

Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

Hi Gerry

Sounds like you're back to simming after a bit of a break. Before you spend too much $$$ you might want to evaluate where you are up to with your platform. With X-plane and P3D in the market and more to follow soon you might want to look into compatibility and the cost of changing platforms.

If I recall correctly, I could move my FTX Global from FSX to P3D without cost. I don't have PMDG products but understand that if you buy the FSX version you will be shelling out again of you later move to P3D.

Ian S

38.jpg

There's only one add-on that keeps me with FSX Acceleration (Boxed) and that's the:

F1 Citation Mustang

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

There's only one add-on that keeps me with FSX Acceleration (Boxed) and that's the:

F1 Citation Mustang

+1 but I am using it in my FSX-SE much better performance.

To the OP: sounds like you will need more than one add-on.  I don't know if your FSX is box, but if you have not purchase yet consider getting the steam edition, or take a look at P3D (you have 90 days money back garantee).  The add-on market has a shrinking buyer base, and now it has to deal with the FSX or P3D bifurcation.  If you hate autogen pop up, look at P3D.  PMDG aircraft also perform better in P3D and less chance of OOM error.  Buying add-on is like a drug, before you know it you can't just stop at one  :lol:

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

Depends a bit of the flight style, low&slow vs Long(er) hall... First of all, my pretty common base-pack: ORBX Global/Vector/OpenLC, ASN, REX TD/SC. This is an absolute must for me to have.

But I think that if I would just buy a single addon, it would be an aircraft (that's what it's all about, after all). I would have to say the Majestic Q400 Pro, but past few weeks some other cutie has been increasingly gaining my affection, which makes this question harder to answer. And that would be the FSL Concorde X.

Cheers!

Maarten

+1 but I am using it in my FSX-SE much better performance.

To the OP: sounds like you will need more than one add-on.  I don't know if your FSX is box, but if you have not purchase yet consider getting the steam edition, or take a look at P3D (you have 90 days money back garantee).  The add-on market has a shrinking buyer base, and now it has to deal with the FSX or P3D bifurcation.  If you hate autogen pop up, look at P3D.  PMDG aircraft also perform better in P3D and less chance of OOM error.  Buying add-on is like a drug, before you know it you can't just stop at one  :lol:

The F1 Mustang is compatible with FSX-Steam. It's NOT p3d compatible.

To OP,

As has been alluded, choosing 1 add-on at a time is much more realistic than picking only 1 add-on and consider sim and computer capabilities.

Must have Add-ons for FSX Boxed IMHO:

Scenery textures: FTX Global

Weather: REX4 + ASN

Airports: Too many to mention with WOAI + GSX

ATC: Default + Editvoicepack or PFE

Utilities: FSUIPC, Accufeel, RXP GNS 430/530, GTN 750, EZDOK, FS Commander, DX10 Fixer

Planes:

Single engine: A2A Comanche 250

Mutl-Engine Realair Turbine Duke

Complex Multi: Q400

VLJ: Citation Mustang

Business Jet: ES Citation X v2

Airliner: PMDG 737ngx

Military: VRS F18

Have fun!

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

Active sky next was a game changer for me.  It puts a bit of reality firmly into the sim.  Especially if you are flying GA.  In Alaska where some airports can only land in one direction, a 25 or 30kt tail will will make for a rough day.  You must do your flight planning and do it right.  If that's a headwind it'll throw your fuel calc off enough to put you in an emergency situation.  Also, climbing out in southern Alaska in IMC is downright frightful.  Getting to your airway and up to MCA can put sweat on your back.  This is by far the best add-on I have.  

My second favorite would easily be the flight1 GTN software.  Such an amazing package for GA.  Combine with a realair or carenado with GTN integration it's a pretty blissful flying experience.  

Lastly would be PilotEdge.  If you want real, this IS as real as it gets.  It is limited in area to socal and a little of nevada but that's just long enough for some tubeliner work if that's your thing.  You won't have super like cruise flight, but that's the least fun anyhow.  KLAS, KSFO down to KSAN or KLAX is pretty respectable.  Having to properly file, properly readback and properly follow correct flight procedures while managing your aircraft can be a pure BLAST!!  If you haven't tried PilotEdge I very highly recommend their free trial AND their training workshops and training ratings.

• Upvote 1

Like the profile picture! I too am a real-life motorcyclist - nothing to beat it on the ground.

Your post #13 nailed it really. I rarely fly default FSX:SE aircraft and choose from iFly 737NG, RealAir Duke Turbine, A2A Skylane or feelThere Phenom 100 depending on how much time I've got and how much I want "procedures" or "flying".

Twelve months ago I installed FTX Global, Vector and OLC and it transformed my experience. Then someone told me I must have ASN. How right they were. It's just a completely new sim with FTX and ASN together - way more immersive.

With DTG's recent announcements you need to be sure you're investing in the right add-ons for the future and don't end up paying twice.

Whatever you choose - welcome back!

Rupert

Best regards

Rupert

I recently bought the Majestic Q400 pro - really like the look, and all the bells & whistles - only problem - it's a bi'otch to hand-fly during landing esp. with any crosswinds - I'm still caught in the learning curve - but I have no regrets about it as an add-on...  (Just got the Alabeo Aztec PA23 the other nite - whole lot of fun to fly, plus a bunch of free paints jobs to D/L).  I also have the A2A C182 & the PMDG 777-200 & 300 - all really great additions.  I'm think I'm done buying new toys for a while :wink: 

Ah, but there's the is the new "Lab" Concorde out in the ethernet beaconing me - Resist!

If I had to pick one, it would be a very tough choice between the PMDG 737 and 777. If you're more of an Airbus person, then the Aerosoft Airbus is a fantastic addon, easily rivaling PMDG. 

You could also look into the QualityWings 757. I just purchased it recently and it is pretty cheap. It is not as detailed as the PMDGs or even the Aerosoft, but it's definitely one of the better addons out there. 

TrackIR....  even before rudder pedals.

mustang_banner_newstar2777.png

I have spent more money on FSX that I care to admit but my Favorites from what I own:

FTX Global + Vector

REX + Softclouds

ASN

Radar Contact (I am considering Pilot2ATC)

FSUIPC, EZDOK, DX10 Fixer

Majestic Dash8

PMDG 737ngx (777 is great but too automated)

PMDG J41

Since SimBrief and Skyvector came along I stopped using all of my flight planning addons.

Joel Pacheco

X-plane 11.5, i7 4790k OC 4.8GHz (1.330V) - Nvidia GTX 1080ti - Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 2 - Corsair Hydro Series H115i - Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB 1866MHz DDR3 CL10 - Samsung 860 EVO SSD 500Gb  - Windows 10 Pro - HP Reverb G2 

That's my first bike I've owned, no longer have it anymore, I'm riding around on a Yamaha R6 :-D

I guess I should have stated I'm running fsx-steam, but she's bare bones, no add-ons whatsoever, just starting over again fresh from fs9 and starting to do my research.

Seems to be a lot of praise on the majestic dash-8, maybe more than The fs9 version I used to read about, at least it seems, is the fsx version any different than the fs9 version? I'm leaning towards the dash-8 as its always been a big interest back in my fs9 days, however never got around to buying it.

I'm a huge fan of the 737, but having purchased the ifly for fs9 I can get the fsx version for 15$, so I'm having a hard time justifying the pmdg 737 purchase, although I do know that Pmdg has A+++ products.

I looked into p3d, however I'm not sure I'm a fan of having to pay for the updates, although maybe I'm not understanding the way the program is offered. Maybe I'll take another look.

Intel I7 12700KF / 32 GB Ram-3600mhz / Windows 11 - 64 bit / NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060TI / 32" Acer Monitor, Honeycomb alpha/bravo, CH rudder pedals, Tobii 5, Buttkicker, Logitech radio panel. 

Gerry,

Only one problem with the excellent PMDG 737 / 777 aircraft. They're so slow! If you want to join the elite supersonic club then seriously consider FS Labs ConcordeX. Mach 2.0 compared to Mach 0.86! B)

Watch this and the hairs on the back of your neck will stand up...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3e5i6SGOtA

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather