hi all i want to upgrade my ageing computer however will be doing a major / new system upgrade in 10 months time for oculus rift, however over the next 10 months i want to improve my fs se performance as it is very sluggish, i only want to upgrade my gpu, what is the fastest gpu i can put in this computer?

spec here

http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=41985709166480155171

thanks

Clayton

I7-10700F RTX 3070 32 Gig Ram

The motherboard is roughly 3-4 years old but it does have a PCI Express 3.0 x16 slot, so it will accept pretty much any video card as long as you have a capable PSU with the proper number of free connectors. You didn't say what PSU you have in this system. If you are planning on running XP10 or P3d V3 in the future, I would go with an EVGA GTX 980 Ti. If that's too pricey, drop down to a GTX 970.

Now all that said, don't expect much in the way of performance improvements with FSX SE as your CPU is probably going be the limiting factor until you upgrade the entire system. Also, read online on the best approach for replacing a video card. I generally first uninstall the existing video card driver, reboot in safe mode and use one of those driver cleaners. Then shut down, do the "manual labor" and then reboot. let the OS find a video driver for the new card. You can always update the driver later after you've figured out that everything is running properly at the OS level. Before running FSX-SE, delete the shader cache folder. There is some debate as to whether this last step is necessary, but it doesn't hurt to do so, as FSX-SE will rebuild the cache. 

thanks for your response i have a cosair 850W PSU so I will look for another GPU to tide me over for the next 10 months. 

Yes, clayton, I'd endorse a GTX 970, preferably an EVGA make. I used to run my FSX-SE+Windows 7,then to 10, on a Gigabyte GTX560Ti. Since I changed to the 970, I've seen my FPS rocket. But as Jay stated, you need a good PSU as you will 2 x 6v power feeds for the 970.

I would not touch anything made by Gigabyte with a barge-pole, after their abysmal warranty service, in California, after my US-bought Gigabyte GPU went faulty. I've had two EVGA graphics cards, this current one, and older GTX460 SEi that is still serving a computer out in Dubai.

thanks for your response i have a cosair 850W PSU so I will look for another GPU to tide me over for the next 10 months. 

The newer video cards are not as watt-hungry as their predecessors. An 850W PSU would be more than enough for now for either the GTX 980 Ti or the GTX 970. Just make sure that you have enough free PSU connectors.

Yes, clayton, I'd endorse a GTX 970, preferably an EVGA make. I used to run my FSX-SE+Windows 7,then to 10, on a Gigabyte GTX560Ti. Since I changed to the 970, I've seen my FPS rocket.

I can only think that your previous GPU was running flat out. I changed from a GTX 275 (which, surprisingly, only ran at about 70% in FSX) to a GTX 970 and saw only a small change in FPS. However, the image looks far better as I can run with much higher AA settings. I have an MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G - a great card with no coil whine under load which can be a problem from some manufacturers.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

thanks vortex but I run my fsx on a 1080p short throw projector in 3d using tridef, and i get the dreaded stutters, i just want smooth frame rates to tide me over before i spend big when rift comes on a pc and the rift itself.

thanks vortex but I run my fsx on a 1080p short throw projector in 3d using tridef, and i get the dreaded stutters, i just want smooth frame rates to tide me over before i spend big when rift comes on a pc and the rift itself.

Sorry for any confusion, clayton, but my post was aimed at vc10man. The GTX 970 should certainly make a difference, just don't expect it to be big. It's a shame that your motherboard/CPU combo doesn't support overclocking as that may well become the limiting factor and prevent you getting the most out of a new GPU.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

I can only think that your previous GPU was running flat out.

I'm was well aware of that, which is why I changed it.

thanks but i will probably just wait it out and use that same money for the new system and play with my current set up for the next few months. 

is it possible to update my cpu to the 3770k cpu and a gtx 970 with my current mobo ?

The answer to your question is the Titan X.

My advice is to wait and see what Nvisia Pascal brings though.

If you can't wait, get a GTX 970, no point in dropping big bucks on a 980ti and I am still hugely CPU limited with mine coupled with a 4790k @4.5ghz.

I run this system on a 450w psu which is more than enough for a single 970.