Sign in to follow this  
martinlest2

Brakes lock on landing

I thought I could get manage this by 'bumping' the brakes on landing and turning off the autobrakes at around 60KIAS, but for some reason or another the brakes even so sometimes refuse to go off and I end up stuck on the runway, brakes locked. Even reloading the flight (AutoSave) or aircraft doesn't help, brakes are still on and nothing I do (limited possibilities!) changes it.

Has anyone found a way to unlock them, or is that the end the flight (unless I slew the a/c to the gate!)?

Has anyone found a way to unlock them, or is that the end the flight (unless I slew the a/c to the gate!)?

Hardware brakes?

If so, how are they set up?

Kyle Rodgers

No, not as such - I use a Saitek X52 to apply brakes and parking brakes, but use the autobrake within the MD-11 (if that was what you were asking).

Thanks.

I use a Saitek X52 to apply brakes and parking brakes

In FSX or through FSUIPC?

Kyle Rodgers

via the Saitek programming software

You can set this up with FSX alone. How is Saitek coming into play here?

Kyle Rodgers

FS9, as I say, not FSX...

I use the Saitek simply to 'bump' off the brakes after landing, with the assigned lever. If I can avoid this in FS9 by using (registered) FSUIPC, I'd be glad to learn how.

Thanks.

FS9, as I say, not FSX...

Sorry for the slip up, but it doesn't matter what the simulator is. I think it's quite clear that I was getting at the function of assigning and setting up axes is a core part of the simulator. X-Plane, P3D, FSX, DCS, Flight Unlimited, and Fly all had hardware settings/calibration pages such that you didn't need to use external functions.

I use the Saitek simply to 'bump' off the brakes after landing, with the assigned lever. If I can avoid this in FS9 by using (registered) FSUIPC, I'd be glad to learn how.

I'm getting at the fact that it should be the opposite. Everything should be assigned through FS. Is this the case?

Your earlier post mentions "FS9 and via the Saitek programming software, not FSUIPC."

What, specifically, is going through the Saitek software?

Kyle Rodgers

OK, sorry if I am not being clear. Part of the problem is that I set all this up some years ago and have been living abroad for some years in the interim (without my FS PC), so now I am back in the UK what might have been obvious once upon a time is now a bit hazy! Dull as the UK is compared to India, Sri Lanka, Thailand and so on, where I have been living, being able to fly FS again makes coming back a lot less difficult! :smile:

Er, OK, moving on - yes, I have all my a/c functions set using the FS9 menu/assignments page. The only problem with this (and it's apparently a 'known' issue') is that occasionally something, somewhere within FS9 (I wish I could find out what) resets the keyboard functions within FS9.cfg. One day Ctrl+E starts the engines, for instance, next day that assignment is blank in the setup: one day 'D' opens my a/c doors, next day it doesn't and I find that no option is set for that in the FS9 menu, and so on. Infuriating. I found restoring a backed up copy of fs9.cfg very oddly did not restore my FS9 assignments and people suggested that I only use FSUIPC in future (a route I have not gone down).

But that's off topic here: the X52 buttons and switches are simply programmed to reproduce the same key strokes selected in the FS9 assignments menu.

Quite a few people have posted with the same 'brakes lock up on landing' issue, as you are of course aware, so it's not something I am doing per se, I think

OK, sorry if I am not being clear. Part of the problem is that I set all this up some years ago and have been living abroad for some years in the interim (without my FS PC), so now I am back in the UK what might have been obvious once upon a time is now a bit hazy! Dull as the UK is compared to India, Sri Lanka, Thailand and so on, where I have been living, being able to fly FS again makes coming back a lot less difficult!

It's okay. Just different communicating on different wavelengths until just now.

I know how that sim ease goes.

Er, OK, moving on - yes, I have all my a/c functions set using the FS9 menu/assignments page. The only problem with this (and it's apparently a 'known' issue') is that occasionally something, somewhere within FS9 (I wish I could find out what) resets the keyboard functions within FS9.cfg. One day Ctrl+E starts the engines, for instance, next day that assignment is blank in the setup: one day 'D' opens my a/c doors, next day it doesn't and I find that no option is set for that in the FS9 menu, and so on. Infuriating. I found restoring a backed up copy of fs9.cfg very oddly did not restore my FS9 assignments and people suggested that I only use FSUIPC in future (a route I have not gone down).

Weird...I haven't heard of this, and I don't recall it, but the last time I used FS9 was back at university in 2008ish.

But that's off topic here: the X52 buttons and switches are simply programmed to reproduce the same key strokes selected in the FS9 assignments menu.

Okay, cool. This is fine.

Quite a few people have posted with the same 'brakes lock up on landing' issue, as you are of course aware, so it's not something I am doing per se, I think

Yeah, but if I recall, all of those are due to hardware pedals with axes assigned through FSUIPC.

Kyle Rodgers

Yeah, but if I recall, all of those are due to hardware pedals with axes assigned through FSUIPC.

Not as far as I know, but you may be right. Whatever, if I don't follow the MD11 touchdown regime very closely (and even then, as I say, I sometimes find it doesn't make any difference) I end my flights on the runway where the a/c stops...

I'll search other threads about this again and see if I can find the ones I recall.

Last two landings, when I 'twitch' the brakes off with the associated X52 lever, and then (I also use the X52 for this) turn Autobrakes to 'off', there have been no problems. All I would say is it would be really good if anyone knew how to unlock the brakes when you've come to a grinding halt. It's programmed in like that somehow - as I said, even loading the default Cessna then back to the MD-11, the latter loads with the brakes still jammed on.

It's the same as hitting whichever key on the keyboard is set up in assignments to operate the brakes and immediately releasing it. Learned to do that years ago from other posters with the same issue.

So no one has any fix to the brakes locking up on landing? If you forget to 'tap' the brakes soon after touchdown (easily done, as no other a/c in FS9/FSX needs this) it always happens. Too late much after 80KIAS, the brakes will not release

I am only using FS9 menu keyboard shortcuts for brakes, not FSUIPC, and I don't use pedals. Someone suggested deleting the FSUIPC.ini file - which I doubted would change anything as I don't use FSUIPC for the MD-11 at all (and sure enough, it didn't).

Thank you.