Sign in to follow this  
Cat_Dad

FSX Intermittent Crash to Desktop After Upgrade to Window 10

This is exactly why I did not want to upgrade to windows 10 from 7 pro. I just got tired of fighting MS sneak attacks sending updates hidden in other window software. 

I currently have a i7 4790 with 16 Gb of DDR 3 and a GTX 980. One 250 Gb ssd for the operating system and one 250 Gb ssd for FSX' No add-on programs. Only update has been to the newest Nvidia drivers.

I had about one week of real nice flying since the Win 10 upgrade but the more I fly the more it crashes when changing airports, looking for aircraft details etc. 

I am not looking forward to removing/replacing either Widows 10 or FSX. I did not do a clean install of 10 only because I would loose all my email and internet settings. It took a long time to get my Frontier FIOS up and running and not looking forward to that fight again.

Will this problem go away once my old Windows 7 is automatically deleted after 30 days since it looks like the FSX config file is located in the same spot it was in Win 7? Any conflict maybe between the two versions of windows currently on the computer ? I did download 10 on a usb drive just  in case I had to do the "clean" install.

Looking for ideas on how to possibly keep windows 10 and still fly FSX.

Terry

i

Update to the original post. Let FSX generate a new FSX config file and when I try to change the aircraft location i.e. KDFW to KORD, the FSX program stops and forces back to the desktop . Also cannot view aircraft detail window (specs) when selecting a new aircraft. Good news is that the program seems to let me fly with no other problems.

Anyone else experiencing similar problems like this?

Terry

Terry,

You may wish to take a look at the AVSIM FSX/P3D CTD Guide (located on the right side of the main AVSIM page).  In there you will find a link to download AppCrashView, which will help you to find the faulty module, then look up the module in the CTD Guide and it will help you to isolate the problem.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Dave,

Thanks for the link. I completely removed FSX from it's own separate SSD and tried to reload. Now FSX will not reload at all.

Got out another game disk to see if it was windows ten and or the DVD drive. Both appear to be working just fine as the other game program loaded with zero problems.

What does this say about FSX and the upgraded windows 10 program? Both are from the same company, yes? Ah that must be the problem.

Terry

Terry,

FSX is compatible with Windows 10.

Do you mean that you uninstalled FSX, and then reinstalled it?  Or did you move FSX?

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Yes I completely uninstalled FSX from my F drive  (second SSD) and I must have gotten lucky as on about the 4th or 5th try to reload  FSX it is now up and running on the other SSD (c drive). Have not flown yet to see if original problem still is there.

Terry