Sign in to follow this  
HiFlyer

Star Trek: Horizon (For us Trekkers)

The paramount lawsuit against Star Trek Axanar has placed a pall of uncertainty over all fan-based Star Trek efforts, but in the meanwhile, Horizon has made it to completion.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

The paramount lawsuit against Star Trek Axanar has placed a pall of uncertainty over all fan-based Star Trek efforts, but in the meanwhile, Horizon has made it to completion.

If there is a lawsuit from a entity like Paramount pending, is it wise to direct link the video here? It could leave AVSIM vulnerable to legal action as well.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

If an issue, I'm sure Google will pull the YouTube video and deny access and therefore the video cannot be viewed any longer.  I took a quick look at the video and IMHO not impressed with "Horizon".  Maybe it's the bad acting but not impressed.  Uh, it could be my age too....

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

If an issue, I'm sure Google will pull the YouTube video and deny access and therefore the video cannot be viewed any longer.  I took a quick look at the video and IMHO not impressed with "Horizon".  Maybe it's the bad acting but not impressed.  Uh, it could be my age too....

Best regards,

It's a fan effort, so these are not really 'actors'.

It should likely be seen as somebody and his/her friends deciding to make a movie. Lots of love for the subject matter, low, low budget, (but passable special effects) and tons of hard work and enthusiasm.

Axanar got in trouble because of all the money it raised, and dispute about what is profit and what is non-profit. Paramount seems to have gone after them very specifically while not taking action against any other efforts. 

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Of all the things he discussed, he missed one of the most critical. Many people "assume" that folks who work for a non-profit enterprise don't get paid. Nothing could be further from the truth. For the prime-mover and his wife to only earn a $38k/year is by no means excessive.

Contrariwise, it is a mere pittance. They must be living on peanut butter and jelly sandwiches... :cray:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I just think of it as lawyers in action.

Devons rig

To me it is a 1 hour 42 minute long demo reel. I prefer the 2 to 3 minute demo reels instead. No wonder the Lawyers are on it

Matthew Kane

To me it is a 1 hour 42 minute long demo reel. I prefer the 2 to 3 minute demo reels instead. No wonder the Lawyers are on it

The movie I posted here is Horizon, which is in no trouble at all. Axanar is the one that's in trouble.

Axanar makes the point that what its doing is no different than a lot of trek fan films (and there are a whole lot of them) like Horizon here.

They claim that its just the movie level quality of Axanar that has Paramount nervous. Paramount says Axanar crossed a line.

THIS: Is prelude to Axanar, which shows what Axanar was intended to be. (At this point its still up in the air as to whether it will still be made)

Devons rig

It would be a real pity if this indie movie cannot be made. Given the quality of the actors, and the cinematography seen in the "Prelude" it would be an exciting movie! :dance:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

It would be a real pity if this indie movie cannot be made. Given the quality of the actors, and the cinematography seen in the "Prelude" it would be an exciting movie! :dance:

*Emphatic head nod*

200_zpsptrsnkqw.gif

Devons rig