Sign in to follow this  
Flaps30

Is a Registry Cleaner Necessary?

Hi,

I am in the process of uninstalling my current FSX and Addons to make way for steam. Several Addons aren't in the Windows 10 uninstall list and don't even have an uninstall option in the program itself so I had to manually uninstall what I could.

I have heard that registry cleaners will make sure you remove all remnants. One recommended was Wise Cleaner. I also read that they can also delete your good files. Is it still a good idea to use a cleaner to make way for FSX Steam? Thanks. Tom

I dont leave how without it - ccleaner - go get it - its free

Rich Sennett

++++++

In other words, what he said! Plus emphasis!

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

I took a look at CCleaner and I was afraid I would remove something needed.

Hey tom,

Why don't You Run them side by side and decide which one You like best - Currently I run Fsx sp2 - Fsx Se - and P3d1.4 - all on a 1tb drive - and they run great !

ccleaner +1

Johnman B)

I took a look at CCleaner and I was afraid I would remove something needed.

Ric been using it for years never had a problem - but I use it regularly - the reg cleaner portion only usually

Rich Sennett

Ric been using it for years never had a problem - but I use it regularly - the reg cleaner portion only usually

Thanks for the vote of confidence, I'll give it a go then. Which version do you use, Pro or Pro Plus or Free Version.

Thanks for the vote of confidence, I'll give it a go then. Which version do you use, Pro or Pro Plus or Free Version.

Free version

Rich Sennett

Free version

I just ran it to clean the registry only and it found a whole mess of issues. I did back up the registry first, just in case.  :blush:

I just ran it to clean the registry only and it found a whole mess of issues. I did back up the registry first, just in case.  :blush:

No problem it wont hose your pc - I never save a backup but again if your doing it for the first time thats a good idea to backup - but now do it regularly 

Rich Sennett

I've used CCleaner for years, and never had registry problems. I think it's fairly non-aggressive when it comes to removing entries. 

I only use it after I uninstall something to make sure I got the remnants of the program.

• Upvote 1

I agree with the above. CCleaner is essential.

I also use Glary's Cleaner as well, together with CCleaner.

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

I use the Advanced System Care 9 program and run the registry cleaner at least weekly.  I'm like Rich above and mostly just use the registry cleaner.  I use the "Deep Clean" feature in Advanced System Care but that comes only with the payware version.  FYI, Windows will not allow certain system registry entries to be deleted so not even the registry cleaners can remove them.

Best regards,

• Upvote 1

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

I would also recommend CCleaner - it's safe and quick.

The Wise Registry Cleaner is also very good and much more comprehensive. The downside is that the extra funtionality introduces the risk of screwing up your registry if you're not familiar with what's being shown. That said, in the options you can set it to only scan for safe entries. On my system, with it set to safe-only, it still flags up a lot more problem entries than CCleaner.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

Yes I bought system care but had some problems with it - not reg cleaning portion but I use ccleaner as it is less invasive and at least I am doing some maintenance 

Rich Sennett