Sign in to follow this  
Flaps30

Is a Registry Cleaner Necessary?

A backup is not going to do anyone any good unless they are computer wizards.  If Windows crashes after a backup that is likely it.  Your chances of restarting Windows is slim.  It is better to regularly create a restore point.  That's what my registry cleaner does, create a restore point (Advanced System 

"A backup is not going to do anyone any good unless they are computer wizards.  If Windows crashes after a backup that is likely it"

Exactly thats why I dont back up but I do use it from the start of a new computer build - thats why I will stick with ccleaner as it has never messed up my pc - knock on wood

Rich Sennett

"A backup is not going to do anyone any good unless they are computer wizards.  If Windows crashes after a backup that is likely it"

Exactly thats why I dont back up but I do use it from the start of a new computer build - thats why I will stick with ccleaner as it has never messed up my pc - knock on wood

But a clone is a different story.  I clone at least once a month, and I swap out a clone for a primary at least once every six months.  Absolutely could not do that if it did not work!

ccleaner is a utility I use, but I get highly frustrated with it when despite my settings it continues to abolish all of my retained web site logins, constantly forcing me to go through cumbersome revalidations for all of my credit card, banking, and investment sites.  I have a secure home, a dedicated and protected computer, a tightly secure wifi network, have never had an intrusion, and don't need the hassle.  I use ccleaner about once a month when I have grown back enough hair to pull out in regard to these frustrations!

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

But a clone is a different story.  I clone at least once a month, and I swap out a clone for a primary at least once every six months.  Absolutely could not do that if it did not work!

ccleaner is a utility I use, but I get highly frustrated with it when despite my settings it continues to abolish all of my retained web site logins, constantly forcing me to go through cumbersome revalidations for all of my credit card, banking, and investment sites.  I have a secure home, a dedicated and protected computer, a tightly secure wifi network, have never had an intrusion, and don't need the hassle.  I use ccleaner about once a month when I have grown back enough hair to pull out in regard to these frustrations!

Interesting I dont have that problem are you using just the reg cleaner - thats all I use

Rich Sennett

Interesting I dont have that problem are you using just the reg cleaner - thats all I use

I use ccleaner pro. It is not just a registry cleaner. It cleans browser history,cookies, temp internet files, recycle bin, et al. It allows specific configuration of what I want and do not want cleaned, but despite the settings I chose it cleanses way more than what I have selected (or deselected) . That based on "day after" experiences! The frustration is peak. That's why I run it manually about once a month.  Too much work otherwise based on my realistic security concerns.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

I use ccleaner pro. It is not just a registry cleaner. It cleans browser history,cookies, temp internet files, recycle bin, et al. It allows specific configuration of what I want and do not want cleaned, but despite the settings I chose it cleanses way more than what I have selected (or deselected) . That based on "day after" experiences! The frustration is peak. That's why I run it manually about once a month.  Too much work otherwise based on my realistic security concerns.

Thanks Frank yes I know that thats why I dont use other features - not a fan of remembering all my passwords

Rich Sennett

ccleaner is a utility I use, but I get highly frustrated with it when despite my settings it continues to abolish all of my retained web site logins, constantly forcing me to go through cumbersome revalidations for all of my credit card, banking, and investment sites.

Are you referring to the registry cleaner component or the application cleaner utility. Reg clean certainly shouldn't be removing auto-fill data, even when I use app cleaner and include Chrome, none of my passwords are ever forgotten, just history and previous searches. Maybe it's some setting in chrome I have activated in the distant past, because I definitely could not live without automatic login!

Also I know the progression has more features but the free version can do those other things you mentioned. What browser do you use if you don't mind me asking?

Are you referring to the registry cleaner component or the application cleaner utility.

I have had the browser cleaning functions all deselected and run the registry cleaner function and the next time I use Chrome I find myself having to login almost everywhere, including here at Avsim.  At online banking and investment sites I also have to go through fresh validation (answers to secret questions) So for some reason my installation of ccleaner overreaches.  So I do not allow ccleaner to run automatically and when I manually run it I prepare my self for the hassles that ensue.  I am using the Pro version.

Frank Patton
ASUS 

A lot of folk speak highly of Ccleaner, and I am tempted, but as one someone who's not that skilled on the techy stuff, how do you guys know that ccleaner is doing a useful function?

Sure it gets rid of registry entries left behind from uninstalled programs, but are those entries doing any harm?

My default position is "If it ain't broke - don't fix it", especially after reading Jims post about the limitations of a backup. 

There's no particular problem with my current setup, but the thought it might run even better is tempting, but it seems to be an un-quantifiable advantage?

Eugene

iolo  is the one for me, check out the special offers, check out what it does and it works, it's even rescued a windows 8 and an XP computer plus the package covers all your computers at no extra charge. Has the capability to run a flight sim exclusion . I use it on seven home computers with no problems. 

Echofox

iolo  is the one for me, check out the special offers

How well is your windows speech recognition working after running System mechanic ?

A backup is not going to do anyone any good unless they are computer wizards.  If Windows crashes after a backup that is likely it.  Your chances of restarting Windows is slim.  It is better to regularly create a restore point.  That's what my registry cleaner does, create a restore point (Advanced System Care9).  Then you can insert your Windows DVD and boot up to it and then select repair and then select a restore point (which sometimes requires an expert user too).  Once you get your system restored from an earlier time, you should then be able to go into your registry cleaner and reinstall the registry backup but don't think that's really required or advisable.

Best regards,

thanks for the good advice, I do make it a regular habit to create restore points when things are uncertain.

My default position is "If it ain't broke - don't fix it", especially after reading Jims post about the limitations of a backup. 

The problem with that position is that these erroneous entries can slowly cause issues you either get use to or don't notice. Also the registry can harbor Gremlins that can attack when least expected and that is what I try to protect against.

Guys,

Be very, very cautious with registry cleaners.  #1 - they are not necessary and #2 they will not "speed up" anything.  At best - they are harmless.  At worst - they can cause serious issues.  Case in point - after I foolishly cleaned my registry some time back (with CC), my FSX started crashing.  Turns out something got corrupted with a dll registry for one of my addon aircraft.  Had to reinstall and spend time reconfiguring the settings.

If you are having serious issues with your PC, I can almost guarantee you its NOT because of bad entries in the registry.  If you don't have any issues - my advice would be to not fix what's not broken.

Ilya

Ilya Eydis, PPL, ASEL

Be very, very cautious with registry cleaners. #1 - they are not necessary and #2 they will not "speed up" anything. At best - they are harmless. At worst - they can cause serious issues. Case in point - after I foolishly cleaned my registry some time back (with CC), my FSX started crashing. Turns out something got corrupted with a dll registry for one of my addon aircraft. Had to reinstall and spend time reconfiguring the settings.

If you are having serious issues with your PC, I can almost guarantee you its NOT because of bad entries in the registry. If you don't have any issues - my advice would be to not fix what's not broken.

Tend  to agree  with you on this  one, think  some  of  the Devs  will agree  with you as  well   Bryan York  from  fscrew  doesn't  believe  in  using  it:)

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

If you use your FS PC to browse the web then you should run the Cleaner option to clear out the browsing files. Those can accumulate very quickly and eat Gbs if not deleted.

If you want to keep login details then go to Options - Cookies and move important ones from left to right so they don't get deleted.

If you only run FS on the PC you probably only need to run Cleaner once a week and Registry cleaner only when uninstalling & reinstalling FS.

• Upvote 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

If you want to keep login details then go to Options - Cookies and move important ones from left to right so they don't get deleted.

Thanks for that. Did not know that was there.  Just swept through the list three times and identified and moved what I hope I need.  Great tip!

Frank Patton
ASUS