Sign in to follow this  
MarkHargrove

No weather on client

After a reinstall of P3D and OpusFSI onto new server and client hardware (2 separate PCs), I'm not getting weather on my client.  Live view works fine, and I see weather updates appear in the 'spy' window on the client (when I force a weather refresh on the server, for example) -- but I'm not getting the weather on the server replicated on the client.  I've been through the 'getting started' guide pretty thoroughly (well, so I believe), but I just cannot see what is wrong.

Running P3D v3.1 and OpusFSI 4.65.3.

Can anybody give me a steer?

-M.

Need to set up your sharing and permissions on both client and server systems. See the Getting Started Guide for Networked PCs. Shutdown any AV programs and Windows Defender. The client needs to be able to access the servers weather wtb file and then update its own sim.

Stephen

Need to set up your sharing and permissions on both client and server systems. See the Getting Started Guide for Networked PCs. Shutdown any AV programs and Windows Defender. The client needs to be able to access the servers weather wtb file and then update its own sim.

Stephen

I believe I have sharing permissions set up correctly (I suspected that from the beginning), but since this is a reinstall I'll go back and double check everything.  Thanks for giving me a direction Stephen!

If spy window on the client indicates the clock sync and weather update messages received ok then all that remains for the client to do is ...

1. Copy the WTB weather file from the server.

2. Write it into your specified sim folder.

3. Issue the weather update via SimConnect.

So... That can only mean either a problem accessing the server folder (blocked access), a problem copying the file into the sims folder (wrong sim type or folder specified in the Opus client Config, or the client sim folder blocked), or finally a SimConnect failure.

Stephen :-)

It was, after all, just a sharing problem.  I'd shared both C:\OpusFSI and C:\Prepar3D v3 on both systems as read/write by 'Everyone', but that apparently doesn't do the trick.  When I shared the entire C: drive on both system as r/w by 'everyone' the weather started working again.   I'm a little surprised that just sharing the OpusFSI folder isn't enough, since that's where the WTB files lives, but these PCs are all dedicated to my sim environment and I'm perfectly happy to just share the whole C: drive.

Again, thanks for the steer -- all is good now.

-M.

If spy window on the client indicates the clock sync and weather update messages received ok then all that remains for the client to do is ...

1. Copy the WTB weather file from the server.

2. Write it into your specified sim folder.

3. Issue the weather update via SimConnect.

So... That can only mean either a problem accessing the server folder (blocked access), a problem copying the file into the sims folder (wrong sim type or folder specified in the Opus client Config, or the client sim folder blocked), or finally a SimConnect failure.

After updating to P3D 3.3.5 and OpusFSI 4.66.2 this same problem has returned, only now, none of my clients will show the weather on the server (whether live or from a theme).  Live View functions continue to work normally, but weather will not update.

I have verified that sharing is working in both directions.  In particular, I can manually access the \\flightsim1\OpusFSI\Weather\OpusWeather.WTB file (where 'flightsim1' is my server system) from each of my three clients.  I can manually copy that file to each individual client (though I don't know exactly where the FSIClient.exe process wants to put it so I cannot absolutely verify that permissions to that destination are correct.  In your message from a few months ago (shown above) you say that the client copies the WTB file from the server and writes it into your specified sim folder.  I don't know for sure what you mean by the "specified sim" folder.  The only two folders that make sense from any configuration I've done are C:\OpusFSI\Weather  or into the P3D root installation folder (which the FSIClient has been told about -- it my case it's "C:\Prepar3D v3.3").  In any event, the OpusWeather.WTB file is not being copied ANYWHERE onto any of the client systems -- I've done a system-wide search and it's simply not there. 

The output from the 'spy' functions on the client:

From the client spy window:

GEN  General process monitoring has been enabled ...
 SIM  Operating in Prepar3D Version 3 Mode
 SIM  Link 1 established with Simulator
 SIM  Link 2 established with Simulator
 SIM  Link 3 established with Simulator
 SIM  Event: Air Folder = WidevieW_Dummy
 SIM  Event: Sim Active
 APP  Application Link 1
      Established Connection with Server.
 APP  Application Link 2
      Established Connection with Server.
 FSU  Link established with FSUIPC

And from the client 'general' spy function after clicking 'Weather/Update' on the server:

RX   Length 20 Bytes
      LWE CONTROL DATA UPDATE
      05 31 30 30 30 30 04 4B 4C 41   58 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00    .10000.KLA  X.........
 RX   Length 1 Bytes
      LWA MONITOR STATUS
      02                                                               .
 RX   Length 7 Bytes
      CLOCK UPDATE
      E0 07 B3 00 0F 14 12                                             à......
 RX   Length 0 Bytes
      WEATHER UPDATE
 RX   Length 0 Bytes
      LWA DATA UPDATE
 RX   Length 1 Bytes
      LWA MONITOR STATUS
      00                                                               .
 RX   Length 1 Bytes
      LWA MONITOR STATUS
      00                                                               .

... and so on with the LWA monitor status

I don't know what to look at next, and I would appreciate another steer.

Thanks,

-M.

This clearly looks like a sharing and security permissions issue or possibly an AV or Firewall blocking the file access. Remember, you copying files manually means and proves nothing. You MUST set your sharing and ALL permissions in accord with our GS Guide with the Everyone group added.

You should also install OpusFSI in its own 'root' folder. That is in X:\OpusFSI.

The software simply cannot access and copy the WTB files.

This clearly looks like a sharing and security permissions issue or possibly an AV or Firewall blocking the file access. Remember, you copying files manually means and proves nothing. You MUST set your sharing and ALL permissions in accord with our GS Guide with the Everyone group added.

You should also install OpusFSI in its own 'root' folder. That is in X:\OpusFSI.

The software simply cannot access and copy the WTB files.

You are 100% right.  I don't know how or why, but my C: drive had lost its share.  When I restored it, things started working again.  There were a couple of recent Windows updates around the same time I updated both P3D and OpusFSI -- one of those updates obviously "helped" me to "fix" the security of my system (although it is a little weird that you need the entire C: drive shared as read/write for 'Everyone').   

I do, btw, have OpusFSI installed in the standard place (C:\OpusFSI).

-M.