Sign in to follow this  
laidback

Complete Novice.......and A Big \Hello to everyone !.

Hi Everyone,

My name is Paul and I've recently purchased FSX - Deluxe together with a Saitek yoke and throttle quadrant.

I'm an ex RAF brat so always loved planes and always fancied having a go at flying one...... :smile:. I also got bored playing World of Warcraft (after 5 years).

The one main issue I have in the sim is keeping the damn plane flying at the right altitude...........I always seem to porpoise through the sky.............lol. Any advice on how to avoid this would be helpful.

There's a lot to learn and remembering what buttons I've programmed for what is fun..........................especially when I forget and lower the landing gear when I want flaps :fool:.

I'll probably be asking lots of questions going forward and you'll be sick of me........lol.

Happy Landings !

Welcome: you'll find a lot of help and information on these pages, it's a great community.

What kind of aircraft are flying or do you want to fly?  e.g. Military or civilian?  Airliner or general aviation? 

ngxu_banner.png

Hi Paul,

I'm fairly new to the AVSIM forums, but I've been simming on and off for several years.

Anyhow I digress. Is the sensitivity setting on the yoke too high? Be quite aggressive in using the trim commands - if you find yourself holding too much back or forward pressure, trim it out. Try setting the throttle(s), leaving them alone and using the trim to have the plane fly straight & level +/- a couple of hundred feet per minute climb/descend. Let the plane bobble along and see if it settles down. 

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

Welcome to Flghtsim !

Welcome to Flghtsim?  Well, at least you misspelled it.  :BigGrin:

Welcome to AVSIM Paul.  Enjoy!

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Hi Paul, there are many here in the AVSIM Forums that come from all types of background. However, we all have one thing in common and that is flight simulation.

Jim Young is the main man for most contact or putting things in perspective, but for the most part when you place a question here, it generally is answered by a fellow simmer.

Welcome!

Martin Parr

Retired professional yacht skipper for vessels up to 46m

System: Omen 30L GT13-0054na Gaming PC; Windows 10 Home  64-bit OS; Intel Core i9-10900K CPU @ 3.7GHz; RAM 32GB; Samsung S34J55x Monitor 3440x1440 @75 Hz Resolution; NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti. MSFS P/D; TM Pendular Rudder Pedals, TM Warthog Hortas Throttle/Joystick Combo.

Thanks all for the welcomes, and thanks HighBypass for the trim advice, I'll give it a go.

And Ailchim......i'm looking to fly civil aviation, especially passenger jets.

I'm off to Singapore next month and have actually booked a flight simulator while I'm there for a 90 minute session. Really looking forward to that !

• Upvote 1

The gold standards for civilian jets are PMDG's 737NGX for shorthaul and 777 for longhaul.  They are sophisticated but if I can manage them, anyone can.  The Aerosoft A320 series gets an honourable mention but is a little less complex.  The Majestic Dash 8 is widely regarded as the best turboprop.   You probablly knew that!

ngxu_banner.png