Sign in to follow this  
tonymerry

Difficulty in slowing down

I am convinced that either the drag coefficient (in the programming) or the air brake efficiency are incorrect for the 737.

I am aware that it is a slippery beast, but so are the 777 and the Airbus series. Slowing down the 777 & Airbus is no great problem, whilst at descent rates of anything over 1,000 f.p.m the 737 actually accelerates & constant use of the inefficient air brakes is required. This is not true to real operation of a 737. Yes I do use F1 to check the throttles are fully retarded & the problem remains if fully using Vnav.

Does anyone have  any suggestions re the problem, as it spoils the realism of an otherwise fantastic aircraft.

Tonym

Even the actual 737 pilots that visit here have said that they routinely use speedbrakes.  You didn't mention the variant, the B738 a lot more slippery than the B737.

I think you are pointing the finger at the simulation for your inexperience. Relax, as you gain hours in type in various conditions you learn to anticipate what the aircraft is going to do. For example a typical let down may exceed my FMS set speed but as long as we are on VNAV PATH and not going into VNAV SPD all is well, unless you have ATC restrictions. Then you stay ahead of the aircraft and pop up the brakes just as required to help the VNAV PATH slow it to the restriction.  Another tip:  If a high altitude restriction is 280 and the FMS descent speed is something like 284/0.789 just change the FMS to match the constraint to 280/.79 to reduce one deceleration point.

Footnote:  The PMDG NGX has been extensively vetted by pilots and mechanics with experience in type. It's not perfect but it's pretty good for the price you pay. Something as major as drag coefficients has been thoroughly looked at by the guy at PMDG with a PhD in aeronautics or fluid mechanics or something like that, pretty sure it's not biology.

Dan Downs KCRP

I am convinced that either the drag coefficient (in the programming) or the air brake efficiency are incorrect for the 737.

Based on your many, many hours in the type, I'm assuming...?

I get that it might feel different, but it's actually remarkably close - the sim engine isn't perfect, after all. Still, unless you fly the type, then I think it might be best to start troubleshooting your own technique before casting aspersions.

Kyle Rodgers

I am not type rated in the 737, or in any other jet for that matter, but I have noticed that most arrival procedures on the NGX as soon as you hit 250/10,000 feet you need at least Flaps 1 or better 5 to be able to carry them out. Another thing that bothers me and please enlighten me--is that after setting up an arrival in the FMC I get a message that says "no descent path after XXXXX"

but I have noticed that most arrival procedures on the NGX as soon as you hit 250/10,000 feet you need at least Flaps 1 or better 5 to be able to carry them out.

Haven't noticed this. What are you referring, specifically...?

Another thing that bothers me and please enlighten me--is that after setting up an arrival in the FMC I get a message that says "no descent path after XXXXX"

This isn't a problem. It's simply telling you that there is no descent path after whatever fix it references. This is a real message:

NO DES PATH AFTER XXXXX: This message appears whenever satisfying the entered path restrictions requires a descent angle larger than the limit angle. The limit angle is defined as the idle angle at maximum DES speed which is Vmo minus 5 above 10,000 and restriction speed plus 10 below 10,000. What it's telling you is that you're going to be in danger of a reversion to VNAV SPD due to these conditions - it's not telling you that it can't calculate a vertical path or anything like that. Also, if you pass the "global" restriction altitude (10,000 usually) and the FMC detects that you're approaching the +10 limit, it will level out to allow it to decelerate (back to 240 usually) before continuing the descent. The limited DES angle based on speed feature was introduced in FMC Op Program 10.6+. In previous FMC versions the angle values used to trigger the message were 7 degrees above 10,000 and 6 degrees below. Boeing changed this due to pilot complaints where VNAV would constantly disconnect because that was too . VNAV in 10.6+ can't disconnect like this anymore, it just reverts to VNAV SPD. The 737-800 in particular is extremely slippery and hard to slow down and often requires 4:1 or greater when descending, especially if slowing down is also commanded. 

Kyle Rodgers

Thanks for replying Kyle. About the first quote, when doing most STARs as soon as you hit 10,000/250KIAS I have to deploy flaps 5 in order to add the necessary drag to slow down a bit and meet the subsequent altitude constraints. I have heard that the 738 with winglets is particularly slippery as you point out.

Thanks for replying Kyle. About the first quote, when doing most STARs as soon as you hit 10,000/250KIAS I have to deploy flaps 5 in order to add the necessary drag to slow down a bit and meet the subsequent altitude constraints. I have heard that the 738 with winglets is particularly slippery as you point out.

Just got to MIA on an AAL 737-800. We rode the speed brakes off and on from cruise on down, and under 10,000, we had Flap 1 and 5 soon after. Speedbrakes used off and on all the way until turning onto the LOC.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/AAL1083/history/20160308/1100Z/KIAD/KMIA

Kyle Rodgers

Yeah, arriving KMIA from the Q routes over the gulf are the same way especially landing East. It's interesting that the pros are using Flap 5 for drag since that's still in the buoyant range, Flap 10 hits the drag.  I've always relied on dropping gear rather than flaps so yes, very interesting.

Dan Downs KCRP

Energy management is one of the big struggles pilots have with the 800. I've jumpseated on the 737 a number of times, and it's been something that the captain comments on every time in the approach briefing. I've also seen the speed brakes used extensively in the descent. If they're planning on a short approach, then they'll sometimes drop the gear early to help in getting slowed up.

High energy approaches are also something I keep in mind as a controller, and we've been told to be keenly aware of the workload that it can put on pilots. If I have a sequence where I can put a 737 on a short approach, I'll look at the type. If it's a -400 or -700, then I can usually get them in pretty tight without any problems. If it's a -800 or -900, then I'll think twice before trying to set them up for a tight approach. 

If you want to get a taste of how energy management works in the real world, next time you fly an approach hold 210 kts to a 15 mile final, and then 170 to the FAF. This is typically how we set aircraft up on the finals here at IAH. It can be challenging, but I find it to be a satisfying way to fly approaches.

If you want to get a taste of how energy management works in the real world, next time you fly an approach hold 210 kts to a 15 mile final, and then 170 to the FAF. This is typically how we set aircraft up on the finals here at IAH. It can be challenging, but I find it to be a satisfying way to fly approaches.

I want to say I think you guys are great.  Everytime I came into KIAH in a C-414 Chancellor you always squeezed me in, it helps that you can drop me on a short final and I can maintain 120 Kts until over the lights.

Dan Downs KCRP

It's interesting that the pros are using Flap 5 for drag

Remember, flaps are used to slow down the aircraft and speedbrakes are used to increase drag. We do not use flaps as drag devices, therefore use “Flaps to Slow Down and Speedbrakes to Go Down!”

Vernon Howells

Am I doing something incorrectly, because I descended as per the FMC profile from 35k down to threshold 3000 without having recourse to the speedbrake once, using the Lvl Chg to input the speeds as per flaps once descent had commenced below 25k?

Am I doing something incorrectly, because I descended as per the FMC profile from 35k down to threshold 3000 without having recourse to the speedbrake once, using the Lvl Chg to input the speeds as per flaps once descent had commenced below 25k?

Nope - certain STARs are steeper than others. Add slippery plane and you get a need for more speedbrakes, possibly...

Kyle Rodgers