Sign in to follow this  
Dragonmount

What am I doing wrong with the autopilot?

I've been flying a lot more lately, and it's been awhile since I've done so regularly and I used to be able to fly the NGX like a champ... However both of my landings have either ended in a disaster or near disaster due to badly programming the ILS landing (the second one I just manually landed and had weird issues getting to the ground, more on that in a second). The first issue was, the plane comes in for the auto landing, and descends at 3200 ft/s while being only 1900 ft above ground. This... Is not safe methinks.  I stopped that flight and decided to go again the next day. This time the auto land would not even descend and even went up at one point it should have started going down. I ended autopilot and landed it myself, I had weird speed issues which I assume has something to do with the fact that I didn't turn off auto throttle?  So many things to re learn :) I'm still having fun anyway.

Patrick Boynton

I recommend you take the tutorial flights again to refresh your skills. At least that will give you exposure to correct procedures.

Dan Downs KCRP

programming the ILS landing

ILS Approach - the landing is a separate matter, autoland or not. Nit picky, I know, but there are enough misconceptions in the sim hobby, so I like to bring that up when I see it.

As Dan mentioned, it's probably best to run through the tutorial again. Chances are, you're leaving it in an improper mode.

Kyle Rodgers

As long as you have the correct ILS frequency tuned in and have VORLOC in roll mode FMA and G/S in pitch mode FMA, both engaged in green, the airplane should fly stabilized down the chute, until you disengage the autopilot. The Flight Director will continue to provide commands to fly the ILS. Why don´t you post a screenshot of what your cockpit indications are before those things happen so we can help you better ?