Sign in to follow this  
gingerterry

My OOM issue fixed!

Hi all,

I have been plagued with CTD's for a while now and tried everything in the book. I recently upgraded my GPU to an MSI GTX 970 with 4 gb of ram and still they occurred !!!.

The sim was perfectly ok with default scenery and a little Moony Bravo to putter around in but that is not where I like to be, low and slow is ok but I do like to get down and dirty in something with a little grunt.

My preferred mode of transport is JF Tornado or maybe something from the good old cold war, problem was, after two minutes, poof! gone again. I use photo-scenery from MSE and various other 3pd,s

Well yesterday for some unknown reason I ran the win 10 program ' troubleshoot compatibility' function on it and let it run.

​Well off she went like 's@?t off a stick' and was still running when I left for work. Came home this morning and of course it had died but a check of the error log showed it ran for just over 4 hours, god knows where my little beauty ended up but if anyone finds a Tornado in their back garden, let me know. 

If anyone else who is ​having OOM or CTD's could try this and let me know if it helped, I would be interested to know why this works for me.

Many thanks.

BTW I believe it was win 7 compatibility I let it run in but this always used to occur when I had win 7 installed too?

my specs

win 10 install from install not from upgrade.

gigabyte z77 d3h mb 

14bg DDR3 1600 ram

MSI gtx 970

i5 3570k 3.4ghz unclocked

and a lovely cool Zalman  z11 box with more fans that a boy band.

Novatech 600w 80+ psu.

p3d runs from a 240gb ssd and the OS on a separate 124 ssd

I recently upgraded my GPU to an MSI GTX 970 with 4 gb of ram and still they occurred !!!.

Just to be clear, OOM's are not related to your video card and RAM.  Just Virtual Address Space which is limited to 4GB's on all 64 bit operating systems.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Yeah jim thanks, but whatever it is it's fixed it. Just spent 3 hrs in a tornado in Wales in full photo scenery and left it running when I came to work. Any ideas why it's worked?

Wow, 3hours in a Tornado and didn't run out of Gas, Neat ! Johnman B)

Yeah jim thanks, but whatever it is it's fixed it. Just spent 3 hrs in a tornado in Wales in full photo scenery and left it running when I came to work. Any ideas why it's worked?

I don't know for sure.  Does the troubleshoot compatibility program look for updated drivers to your hardware and install the updated drivers?  I don't have Windows 10 installed yet but anytime you update drivers for your hardware in Windows 10, that can only be good as hardware and software developers are always finding bugs and issue updated drivers to fix compatibility issues with Windows 10.  Same thing happened when XP, Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 8 were first released.  It took some time for developers to issue updated drivers.  I believe the compatibility program takes you back to Windows 7 or 8 as Microsoft found some of your drivers were not compatible with Windows 10.  I would try to update your drivers by downloading a program that does that.  I use Driver Booster which is freeware but it has a lot of nags to get you to purchase it.  Still it is fully functional and will download and install updated drivers if found.  I use it regularly as Windows 10 doesn't look for updated hardware drivers for all of your hardware, like USB ports.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Hi Jim,

Just Virtual Address Space which is limited to 4GB's on all 64 bit operating systems.

Technically, your answer is incorrect, .. as the 4 Gb address space relates to 32 bit applications, which FSX and P3D are .. not 64 bit Operating Systems. :smile:

Cheers

Tom

well whatever it was its still working today, this makes me a very happy bunny. 5hrs into a tornado flight at the moment well out into the atlantic.