Sign in to follow this  
hlender

Autopilot not following Flt Pln

I'm sure it's me that's the problem. When I engage the A/P after takeoff the autopilot doesn't follow the routes in the Fltpln. Even when I engage the Nav button on the A/P. I have to manually fly the fltPln with the A/P by putting in the headings to follow the legs of the route.. I am probably overlooking something. I am using the Beech Baron to fly and get familiar with Pilot2ATC. 

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Harry

Hi Harry.

In order for the flight plan to be followed, it must be loaded into the Aircraft GPS or FMS system.

If you are using X-Plane, you can export the flight plan from P2A and then load the FMS file into the GPS, or if you have the FMS, then the FMS.  Be sure to check the Export SID/STAR Waypoints option on the FltPlan tab of the cofig window. 

Dave

Hi Harry.

In order for the flight plan to be followed, it must be loaded into the Aircraft GPS or FMS system.

If you are using X-Plane, you can export the flight plan from P2A and then load the FMS file into the GPS, or if you have the FMS, then the FMS.  Be sure to check the Export SID/STAR Waypoints option on the FltPlan tab of the cofig window. 

Dave

Hi Dave

I am using FSX. I don't have x-Plane. I have racked my brain trying to figure out how to load it into the Garmin 500 that the Baron uses. I don't see an option for loading Sids or Stars for that GPS. I could probably manually construct a sid in the FSX Flight Planner by editing the Flight Plan, but I don't see the Waypoints on the FSX map for the SID I want to use. I must be overlooking something very simple. Also I notice that the file extensions are not the Same. P2A uses .VBF and FSX uses .PLN.

Again any help would be appreciated. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Harry

Hi Harry

This might help

Clive Joy

beta.gif

Posted Image

Thanks Clive.

And also, Harry, when you export, just select the .pln type from the drop-down when you name the file to export.

You should also read the pinned topic in this forum about Flight Plan Import and Export.  It has a link to a site to get updated nav data that would solve your missing waypoint issue.

You should be able to get it going now.

Dave

Thanks Clive.

And also, Harry, when you export, just select the .pln type from the drop-down when you name the file to export.

You should also read the pinned topic in this forum about Flight Plan Import and Export.  It has a link to a site to get updated nav data that would solve your missing waypoint issue.

You should be able to get it going now.

Dave

OK let me try to explain what's happening.  I watched the video that clive suggested.  I have seen it before and it is very good.  But didn't  address my problem.  I also read the Pinned topic in  the forum about flight plans to (import and exporting) V2.  I went to http://www.aero.sors.fr/navaids3.html and updated my Nav files.  That didn't help.  When I build a flight plan in P2A and try to save it it will only save it in the .vbf format. If I use the import function of P2A and bring in a .PLN format. The FSX Flt Planner will not accept  it. (Won’t load it.)
 So what I am having to do is to open the Flight Planner in FSX  and manually construct the identical flight plan that I constructed in P2A and save it. Also the waypoints that are in P2A are not in FSX  Plight Planner. So I’m guessing at their placement.  Then I can load it into FSX FlightPlanner so that the A/P can fly the route.
I know  that’s not how it’s suppose to be, but that’s the only way I can get it to work. 
The other way would be to manually flight the route without the Autopilot. Or using the Autopilots heading alone. Changing it at each leg to follow it. Keeps me on my toes.
Anyway I’m not doing something right. Eventually I’ll find the answer with your help.
Hope my description will help find my problem.
Thanks again
Harry

Clive,

Have you had a look at the drop down box within the blank screen which you are trying to export your plan.If you use the save option you will only save as vbf.format however the export button offers you the chance to save as .PLN or .FMS (X plane).

Hope that this helps you.

There is currently an issues with the exporting a .pln from P2A and loading it into the SIM, it will not work.

What you can do is create a FP in another 3rd party software like PFPX; export that as a FSX .pln file.

Then P2A can import that and it can also be loaded into the SIM and ASN.

Norman you are correct, my miss typing  :wink:

Clive Joy

beta.gif

Posted Image

If you were exporting the .PLN without the SID and STAR waypoints, it was not exporting the Departure and Destination airports as waypoints.  That likely was the cause of the inability to import into FSX and P3D.

Give v200.8 a try and see if it works now.

Thanks,

Dave

Clive,

Have you had a look at the drop down box within the blank screen which you are trying to export your plan.If you use the save option you will only save as vbf.format however the export button offers you the chance to save as .PLN or .FMS (X plane).

Hope that this helps you.

Clive;

Thanks for your reply.

Yes I did try that. I saved it as a .PLN but it still didn't work. I will try what alpha117 suggested. May take awhile.

Thanks again for trying to help.

Harry

If you were exporting the .PLN without the SID and STAR waypoints, it was not exporting the Departure and Destination airports as waypoints.  That likely was the cause of the inability to import into FSX and P3D.

Give v200.8 a try and see if it works now.

Thanks,

Dave

Dave 

That may be the problem. I was using v200.1. I'll download v200.8 and give it a try.

Thanks for your reply.

Harry

I downloaded the v200.8 but might have an error on installing it. I got a Database error msg.

"Unable to initialize Database

The underlying provider failed on Open.

An attempt to attach an auto-named database for file

C:\Pilot2ATC_200\Pilot2ATC_200\Data\P2ADynamicData.mdf failed. A

Database with the same name exists, or specified file cannot be opened, or it is located on UNC share."

Any idea how to correct this?

Hi Dave:

I seemed to have corrected my problem with the update. Everything seems to be working now fine. I'll let you know tomorrow.

Thanks again

Harry

Hi Dave:

I seemed to have corrected my problem with the update. Everything seems to be working now fine. I'll let you know tomorrow.

Thanks again

Harry

Well I do have partial success. I can save flight plans in the.PLN format. And I can load them into the FSX Flight planner however it does not load the Sids or the STARS. Everything else is visible.  Here is another problem, The Autopilot does not follow the route even with the Nav button pushed. The route shows in the Garmin 500 but the autopilot does not follow the legs of the route.

I will keep trying. Eventually I'll figure it out.

Harry

PS 

As a side note I'll try to build the route completely separate in the FSX Flight Planner to match the Flight Plan that P2ATC  built and see if the Autopilot will follow that one. I will post my findings later.

Harry

Harry

Regarding autopilot not following legs in the route having selected Nav button may I suggest  and I assume

you are using default Baron along side the fuel button switches (best seen in 2d panel) is the Nav/Gps switch.

Put that switch to GPS position and make sure Nav button remains selected in the autopilot. The autopilot will

will follow your route.

When I first installed the ReaAir Turbine Duke V2 (I usually fly PMDG jets) I used to forget about that switch which when the plane is

first loaded, that switch is defaulted to Nav..

Hope this helps and I have not mistaken your problem.

Regards

Noel Southam

noels7

Noel Southam

Noel, Good suggestion.

Harry, if you want all the waypoints to export, you need to check the "Export SID/STAR Waypoints" option on the FltPln tab of the config window. 

Good luck,

Dave

Harry

Regarding autopilot not following legs in the route having selected Nav button may I suggest  and I assume

you are using default Baron along side the fuel button switches (best seen in 2d panel) is the Nav/Gps switch.

Put that switch to GPS position and make sure Nav button remains selected in the autopilot. The autopilot will

will follow your route.

When I first installed the ReaAir Turbine Duke V2 (I usually fly PMDG jets) I used to forget about that switch which when the plane is

first loaded, that switch is defaulted to Nav..

Hope this helps and I have not mistaken your problem.

Regards

Noel Southam

noels7

Hi Noel;

Thank you for your reply. Before I read your post I tried your suggestion on the toggle switch set to GPS and the NAV  Button on the autopilot pressed in. Everything seemed to work fine I followed the LEGS with basically no problems.

Like you I too have been flying PMDG aircraft. The 777. By flying the Baron I was wanting to start from ground zero and progress up to the 777. I think I might have made a mistake in updating my NAV file. I Read the Pinned  Flight Plans (Importing and exporting) V2.

They recommended going to a site http://www.aero.sors.fr/navaids3.html  that provides updated information in the .bgl file format that you can keep your P3D or FSX installation up to date with. I downloaded and ran the update. I didn’t realize that I should have backed up my files. Now Some waypoints are missing at some airports with RNAV approaches. For instance at Centralia ,Ill KENL I tried to load an Rnav approach for RWY 36 but all it would do is take me straight in off of the Centralia VOR, (ENL). I tried several other airports in the US with the same result. I’m going to contact http://www.aero.sors.fr/navaids3.html and see if they can help undoing the upgrade. If you have any suggestions let me know. I would appreciate it.

Also I’m still having problems importing my flight plan that I built in Pilot2ATC and saved with the .PLN format with the SIDs and Stars. I’ll keep working on it.

Thanks again.

Harry 

Noel, Good suggestion.

Harry, if you want all the waypoints to export, you need to check the "Export SID/STAR Waypoints" option on the FltPln tab of the config window. 

Good luck,

Dave

Hi Dave;

I did that with no success. The Sids and Star waypionts will not come in with the FltPln. .PLN Format. Also when I try to load it into the FSX Flight PLanner it will not load. I still have to manually construct it in the FSX Flight Planner in order to use it in FSX. If you will pls check my reply to Noels post with my further problems. To lengthy to repeat here. I'll keep working on everything and keep you posted.

Thanks again for your reply.

Harry