Sign in to follow this  

uSim Pit complete, but issue with GoFlight RP-48 (old gen Black unit)

Finally finished up my uSim Pit (waiting for SeeBee 747 throttle arms for my Saitek throttles).

Only issue is that "sometimes" (not always) my older black RP-48 will continuously power cycle the LEDS whenever I run GFConfig.exe or GFDev.exe.  I have 5 RP-48's ... 4 newer gray units and 1 older black unit.

I've tried plugging the unit into other hubs and direct to port on PC, but results are always the same.  Has anyone else had compatibility issues when mixing newer gray GF modules with the older black GF modules?

I've contacted GF via eMail, but will probably give them a call Monday if I can make some time.

Cheers, Rob.

One heck of a beautiful build - wish it was mine - have fun with it Rob  :wink:

Rich Sennett

Just make sure you hire someone to do it Rich ... this was a back killer for me ... old age I guess.

Cheers, Rob.

Just make sure you hire someone to do it Rich ... this was a back killer for me ... old age I guess.

Cheers, Rob.

Will do when I hit the lottery  :smile:

Rich Sennett

Rob, thanks for the video. Lots of food for thought on setting up something like this. A few questions.

1. Why did you decide to go with what look like Saitek TQs when you previously posted about considering some very professional TQs in the US$2000+ range? 

2. Why did you decide to use what looks like a Saitek yoke instead of going with a more professional model such as the ones from Go Flight or PFC?

3. It looks like you're using a GF 737 MCP. Is it adaptable to other planes such as the PMDG 777 or the Aerosoft Airbus?

4. I love all those GF switch panels. Have you encountered any problems tying these panels to the various third party aircraft for P3D? Does the GF software handle it or does one use fsuipc?

Thanks again for posting the video.

Robert

Hey Robert,

I found a solution to my power cycling GF modules, it turns out to be something to do with my GF-MESM unit ... I went thru the tedious task disconnecting every USB device and reconnecting one by one until I triggered the issue.  Will contact GF on Monday and see what input/thoughts they can provide on why GF-MESM would cause this ... in the meantime the MESM is disconnected and no issues.

1.  I haven't eliminated any high-end throttles, but after researching all the available units on up to $5000 range I realized they really just wouldn't fit in well with my duel deck idea and really would need a full blow cockpit build, not a universal sim pit like my objective.  I also have no real issue with the Saitek throttle motion, but I don't like the small Saitek handles so I've ordered some larger 747 replacement handles to better fit my hands.  The Saitek Win10 drivers for these quadrants are problematic (keep changing ID on reboots) ... I keep hoping Saitek will do something about that, but so far no luck.  So new throttles aren't "off my list", but I'll see how these go for now.

2.  Saitek Cessna Pro Yoke fits the desk and works well, it's a full 180 degree yoke and has the extra buttons/controls on the yoke.  But again is was primarily due to fit and ease of moving out of the way and I just don't have any complaints with the yoke.

3.  Yes the GF MCP Pro will work with 737, 777, 747, Airbus ... I use a tool called GIT (GoFlight Interface Tool http://www.pollypotsoftware.org.uk/products/goflight-interface-tool.html) that will control all my GF gear for just about any aircraft.  To be honest, GIT software is the primary reason I'm staying with GF gear.

4.  No problems, see #3 ... I've posted a few GIT configuration files for various aircraft that folks can use.  I'm in the process of working on one for the MJC Q400 Pro edition and will publish when done.

In addition to Steve providing support for GIT, he has consistently kept the Tool updated and taking on feature request.  I recently requested a feature that would allow me to create bespoke code segments that could then be called by other Bespoke code segments ... this is extremely handy and can making programming and adjusting much easier, big thank you goes out to Steve for his effort ... I've donated to  his cause twice and it's worth every penny.

Cheers, Rob.

Rob, glad you found the source of the power cycling problem. 

1. I agree completely. Those professional throttles don't look like they'd work very well with an A2A plane or the Duke for example. That's why I've rejected them. I like the way you've setup what looks like two completely independent TQ systems, one for single-engine props and one for multi-engine planes. There must have been some engineering involved to fit these TQs into the GF Flight Deck Console. Way beyond my capabilities I believe. I've just not had much luck with the Saitek TQs so not really an option for me. I live in an agricultural environment and there may just be too much dust around for them to work properly.

2. I too haven't had any complaints about the Saitek yoke, but have wondered what a GF or PFC yoke has to offer and intend to give one or the other a try. One would hope there's something to be gained for the extra cost involved.

3. Thanks for the tip about the GIT software. I think it makes the purchase of these modules a no-brainer for me.

4. Where have you posted your GIT config files? I checked your site but didn't find them. I'll really be interested in the one for the Q400 when you've completed it.

Thanks for the comprehensive reply.

Robert

Whoops, I just found your GIT config files on the GIT site. I look forward to using them once I get the hardware.

Robert