Sign in to follow this  
bbuckley

FullScreen goes completely Black

Any help greatly appreciated!

I've been flying FSX (specs below) on PilotEdge for almost a year now. I have been flying DX9 fullscreen with no issues. I just installed SteveFX DX10 Fixer and am trying to run in DX10 for some graphics improvements. After setting everything up I have it running great in both windowed and fullscreen mode UNTIL I connect to the PE Server. After connecting if I switch to fullscreen I get a totally black screen but it's obvious the underlying FSX is running. I can switch back to windowed using alt-enter and then everything is fine. If I just disconnect from the PE Server I can then switch to fullscreen fine. The FPS and shadows are much improved over DX9 so I'd like to get it fixed. I'm searching the forums and support but it's really odd to me that it seems to be directly related to connecting to the PE Server and disconnecting fixes it. I've also posted on the PE forum.  Is this a SimConnect problem? Just guessing?

I'm reasonably good with fsx.cfg, NVI and fsx file structures, etc. I can provide more complete DX10 controller settings (AA 32x) and NVI profile (8 SGSS), and fsx.cfg if helpful. I haven't found a complete & recent guide to the proper DX10 Fixer NVI settings yet.

Thanks,

Bruce

Specs:
FSX boxed with Acceleration, WIN 8.1 64bit, i7-4790K @4.32GHz, GTX 970 4GB, 16GB DDR3 SDRAM, 500GB SSD, 1TB HDD
Add-ons: REX4 TD w/SC, ASN, PE Client Carenado PA-28A, Carenado Phenom 100, Aerosoft F14X
Scenery: LatinVFR KSNA & KSAN, Sim720 KCRQ, MSE California South 2X, MSE KLAX / KSAN Ultra Res

[CPL]  I9-9900K @5.0GHz HT ON, Maximus XI Hero, ASUS TUF RTX4080 OC, 32GB DDR4 3200 14, 1TB NVMe SSD, 500GB SSD, 1TB HDD, 40" Samsung 4K TV, Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Logitech Rudder Pedals, WIN11

I am not familiar with pilot edge - do they launch any tools.

I recall someone mentioning a full screen issue with Ivao

http://www.avsim.com/topic/468272-dx10-with-ivap/?hl=%2Bivao

If you search for the fixer guide on nzfsim that describes how to hide the Windows borders and create a pseudo full screen which might be a workaround?

Thanks Steve!  I was able to work around in another way... It seems the issue is that the PE Client puts a window up "always on top" of fullcreen FSX as a PE transponder for Mode C / IDENT and some other indicators.  In DX9 that wasn't an issue, but apparently it is in DX10 (I'm on Win 8.1).  I suspect the IVAO issue is the same.  My workaround (for anyone who runs into the problem) was to uncheck that option in PE and program a button through FSUIPC4 to do the IDENT function. 

Thanks for your support and so far the DX10 and Fixer graphics and (performance on my machine) are awesome.

Bruce

[CPL]  I9-9900K @5.0GHz HT ON, Maximus XI Hero, ASUS TUF RTX4080 OC, 32GB DDR4 3200 14, 1TB NVMe SSD, 500GB SSD, 1TB HDD, 40" Samsung 4K TV, Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Logitech Rudder Pedals, WIN11

Thanks Bruce, I think that you are correct that the IVAO issue is similar. In that case I believe the tool is for text comms. It seems that you have a good workaround, thanks for sharing.

I see the best answer posted but not sure if it applies to me since I don't have a PE Client and can't find any option of putting a window "always on top"

Everytime I join up a server, the screen is always black, I have to alt-tab and run in window mode. I have a triple monitor setup and don't want to resort to using only one monitor, ruins the experience. How can I get it fixed?

Does the fact that I have skype open is an issue? 

Why can you not use all 3 monitors in windowed mode?

As I mentioned above I have been told previously that there is an issue with ivao, to do with some tool that they autolaunch which sounds similar to the pilot edge case.