Sign in to follow this  
Guest vrandar

KNowing where your at?

Guest quiet1

I use fsnav, UT, GE blah blah my question is I see all these cities flyign by and I'm wondering if there is a way to look on a map and know exactly what city you are over? Or how do I know Thanks

Hi Jason,There are a number of moving map programs that will do this.Hope this helps,Jimhttp://www.hifisim.com/Active Sky V6 Development TeamActive Sky V6 Proud SupporterHiFi Beta TeamRadar Contact Supporter

Jason,1. You could always use real (paper) charts :-)2. Sp. "withheld"

Graeme Butler

Guest quiet1

Any examples please I dunno what you mean

Guest MattNW

I have UT and I've been able to navigate by road with a regular road map atlas. That's the way pilots did it back when there weren't any fancy navigation aids. Of course they also lost a lot of pilots back then too. :D

Guest JTEK99

A great utility that's helped me enormously in learning regional geography is Abacus' EZ-Landmark.It's a huge database of locations, cities, towns, hamlets, buildings, landmarks, etc. that's superimposed on the scenery. You can turn it off and on at will while you're flying. I'm glad I have it since I've really learned where cities I'd heard of but couldn't place geographically actually are.Cheap and highly recommended: http://www.abacuspub.com/catalog/s497.htmTry it out. There's a trial that works for something like a 50mile radius. More than enough to understand how it works.

Guest deKoven

>A great utility that's helped me enormously in learning>regional geography is Abacus' EZ-Landmark.>>It's a huge database of locations, cities, towns, hamlets,>buildings, landmarks, etc. that's superimposed on the scenery.> You can turn it off and on at will while you're flying. I'm>glad I have it since I've really learned where cities I'd>heard of but couldn't place geographically actually are.>>Cheap and highly recommended: >http://www.abacuspub.com/catalog/s497.htm>>Try it out. There's a trial that works for something like a>50mile radius. More than enough to understand how it works.I use both EZ Landmark and EZ VFR and really couldn't do without either. One is an outstanding aid to the map and the other gives me detailed info on the airfields I'm approaching. Plus they're both easily turned off after getting close to the field you want. In the cases of busy airspace areas if you don't turn it off you can't see "the forest for the trees.":D

HelloI agree these are two nice addons, I would recommend them for VFR flying in new areas it is very interesting knowing axactly what is below you.

Guest Bill Hinton

Yes, that is a nice utility. However, it could be improved by providing the capability to use the mouse pointer to select the identification of the building or object of interest. Just place the mouse pointer there and have the cursor change from a pointer to a circle enclosed cross.

>Jason,>>1. You could always use real (paper) charts :-)>>2. Sp. "withheld">>Last Name witheld? That sure is a strange surname! Is it of Nordic origin or is it more southern European?:-lol

Guest quiet1

I can't believe there is a simpler answer to this. I understand what ezlandmark does but do you really want to fly arounjd with 50 information words on your screen? There isn't a program like the GPS that just shows cities or something? Thanks

Guest JeanLuc_

Yes there is!www.reality-xp.comHope this helps!

Can't you get all the information you want from the FSNav map? That's what I've always depend upon FSNav for -- checking quickly to see exactly where in the world I am. Granted, the city has to have an airport to appear on the map view, but cities usually do. Small towns, perhaps not. You can also click the icon between the hammer and the question mark on the tool bar at the top of the FSNav map and get a small version of the map to appear on your FS9 screen as you fly. On this map, and the main map, you'll have navaid information for, plus bearing and distance to, any point around you on the map. Unless I misunderstand your question, FSNav does a great job of telling you just what you want to know.

Guest Adverse Yawn

If you have UTE then buy the required VFR charts and navigate realistically - it is much more fun than looking at a GPS screen :) Should be able to get old ones off Ebay or perhaps Jepp do outdated ones cheap for simmers?

>If you have UTE then buy the required VFR charts and navigate>realistically - it is much more fun than looking at a GPS>screen :) And of course, you know that I very much disgree! :7 Look at the GPS first, to know exactly where you are, and "exactly" where the airplane is, then look at the charts for more precise and detailed information.What I'm talking about, is the "new" way to navigate, which is also VERY realistic BTW. Your situational awareness is highly magnified in comparison to the "old way", which included a lot of flight into terrain while loosing situational awareness in IFR or marginal VFR conditions.Personally, I have a lot more fun keeping up on the latest GPS technology which includes terrain features, terrain and obsticle warnings, up to date TFR's, up to date in flight weather, flight planning, precision control of the auto-pilot systems, etc. As I've been taking my hand-held GPS along for road trips, I've been amazed that it also reports altitude to within 10' vertically, not to mention 3' horizontally, using WAAS that's available in the U.S. With technology such as this, why not use it? L.Adamson