Sign in to follow this  
cliffardus

The LOC and APP buttons don't always become active

Sometimes I cannot land as the LOC and APP buttons aren't active. And example is approaching Dublin's (EIDW) Runway 28 using the STAR PIPG1X

Thinking that I may have outdated data I installed the latest Navigraph AIRAC cycle 1603 and tried again after choosing STAR VATR1X with PfPx.  But again with no success.

Where could I be going wrong please?

Cliff

Sometimes I cannot land as the LOC and APP buttons aren't active.

The LOC and APP modes are simply there to shoot the approach. The landing is a separate concept. Sure, autoland currently depends on ILS (and therefore APP), but it's important to make that distinction, as far too many in this hobby are under the mistaken assumption that most landings are autolands.

"Sometimes" would lead me to believe it's operator error. Sounds a lot like variations and inconsistencies in setting things up is causing the breakdown. Make sure an ILS approach is selected and you intercept the LOC from below the glideslope. Fly the tutorial a couple times to get used to the work flows.

Kyle Rodgers

Sometimes I cannot land as the LOC and APP buttons aren't active. And example is approaching Dublin's (EIDW) Runway 28 using the STAR PIPG1X

Thinking that I may have outdated data I installed the latest Navigraph AIRAC cycle 1603 and tried again after choosing STAR VATR1X with PfPx.  But again with no success.

Cliff

What is going wrong is that the frequency set for the ILS28 at EIDW in the AFCAD (I assume default EIDW scenery) is outdated!

Looking at my default EIDW in P3D 3.2, I can see that the stock ILS28 frequency is 108.90 (Same default AFCAD if you are using FSX).

Why is your PMDG777 unable to tune that LOC/GP? You are using the latest AIRAC 1603 (always a good thing!), However sometime in the past 10+ years since that default AFCAD was compiled, the frequency for ILS28 changed! In fact if you look at what your FMC is trying to auto-tune on the NAV RAD page, (based on the most current AIRAC1603 navdata) you will see it is set to tune 111.35 which is the current and correct ILS28 frequency. Problem being that the actual ILS28 in that outdated AFCAD is broadcasting on the old 108.90 and hence your FMC cannot find it. Manually tuning 108.90 om the NAV RAD page would have worked.

The solution is simple, you need to update the AFCAD with the latest ILS28 frequency (The ILS10 frequency has remained unchanged). Simply set it to match what the AIRAC1603 and latest charts show the ILS28 frequency to be: 111.35. 

Next time you approach, your PMDG777 will actually be able to tune into the frequency it is looking to tune into!

Assuming you were using the default EIDW scenery/AFCAD I have gone ahead and made the change for you. Simply add this AFCAD to your addon scenery/ scenery folder. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ie8ovtlzudk6mtf/EIDW_ADEX_LC.BGL?dl=0

For future reference, it is always a good idea to check this before flying into default scenery. This can also happen with outdated AFCADs of far more recent and payware airports! Considering how many developers don't bother checking the current validity of LOC/ILS frequencies as they are lazy and simply leave the default ILS data in their AFCAD.... 

Considering how many developers don't bother checking the current validity of LOC/ILS frequencies as they are lazy and simply leave the default ILS data in their AFCAD....

Like maybe Aerosoft. The frequency for 08R at EDDP is the old FSX frequency. The ATIS frequency for PANC is the old FSX frequency.

There is another case I encountered where my plane doesn't catch the localizer, that is in airports that use the same frequency in opposite runways. The frequency is correct but your plane sees only the localizer of the opposite runway to where you are landing.

• Upvote 1

Joel Pacheco

X-plane 11.5, i7 4790k OC 4.8GHz (1.330V) - Nvidia GTX 1080ti - Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 2 - Corsair Hydro Series H115i - Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB 1866MHz DDR3 CL10 - Samsung 860 EVO SSD 500Gb  - Windows 10 Pro - HP Reverb G2 

There is another case I encountered where my plane doesn't catch the localizer, that is in airports that use the same frequency in opposite runways. The frequency is correct but your plane sees only the localizer of the opposite runway to where you are landing.

Hi, Joel,

This can happen when you have more than one addon AFCAD for the same airport.

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

Hello

I had the same problem @ lfpg last week, and what I think is all my addon were landing front of me, So I think ils wasn't active.

Frédéric Giraud

I am grateful for all your responses and I offer my special thanks to "Calvonister" for having "gone ahead and made the change for you. Simply add this AFCAD to your addon scenery/ scenery folder. "

I hope that one day I'll have sufficient knowledge to help other Members.

Cliff

I use Plan G to check my arrival airports frequency before I even load up FSX, Plan G has the original frequencies listed. Write those down on your notes and be prepared to enter them into Navrad on descent if you notice it's different. It's a bit extra with the workflow but it's not that difficult.