Sign in to follow this  
tarere

Prepar3D v3.2 is out !

I took the plunge this afternoon and installed the client as well as the content update and compared the files before and after the installations to determine what is changed and what one has to do so that all add-ons work properly after install.

Client update

When updating the client, apart from the core P3D files, the installer only updates files in the ShadersHLSL directory. This also affects files from PrecipitFX so a reinstall of PrecipitFX is also required when updating only the client.

Content update

Here comes the more interesting part. I compared most of the files in the following P3D sub-directories to identify the changes made by the content installer:

../Autogen

../Effects

../Fonts

../gauges

../ShadersHLSL

../SimObjects

../Scenery

../Sound

../Texture

And this are the findings:

Autogen

The content installer does replace the autogen definitions. However, to restore them you only have to run FTX Central and switch regions. That’s it. No need to backup the Autogen folder.

Effects

The installer will replace a lot of the effects with newer files. Nothing is deleted. So I would recommend doing nothing as copying back an old backup of Effects would replace the newer files by older ones. Only thing you need to do is reinstall PrecipitFX to get back these effects.

Gauges and Simobjects

The installer does a couple of changes to the default aircraft. However, none of the add-on aircrafts is affected.

Sound

Some wind sounds are replaced. I would assume that if you install REX sounds then they will be replaced again.

Texture

The installer replaces a lot of the texture files but does not delete any additional files put in there by third party add-ons. This means you definitely have to reinstall your REX textures (after they have provided the required update for 3.2). Also if you own Airport Graphics HD you need to reinstall this. That’s it.

Other folders are not affected. So in a nutshell what you need to do after updating the content is:

1. Set a region in FTX Central to fix your autogen files
  2. Reinstall PrecipitFX
  3. Reinstall REX textures
  4. Reinstall Airport Graphics HD

So no need to backup and copy any files! And also no need to reinstall FTX Global! Hope this helps…

That's exactly how I updated from 3.0 to 3.1 (complete update) and also now from 3.1 to 3.2 (complete update). Took me about one hour. Could not identify any problems from 3.0->3.1 and don't expect any from 3.1->3.2 update. Couldn't be easier.

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

Yeah I didn't find it under downloads but I found the download link in their forums.

Yes thx, I found it there.

After originally sticking with 4xSGSS, I went to 8xMSAA internal with MFAA turned on in NI (which supposedly doubles it?) and I'm finding that it coupled with FXAA looks almost exactly the same as 4xSGSS.

There's some slight shimmering with autogen using both settings but it's so similar that I see no reason to keep using 4xSGSS. It may be a fraction or so worse (If it is I can't really tell), but it was so nice today to climb out through an overcast with zero stutters or FPS drop.

Now, is it doable in a Carenado plane? Probably not. But in the A2A stuff I use, it looks great. And FXAA is not adding any bluriness to the instruments. I had never used it before, but it is working for me with the planes I actually fly now. That includes PMDG as well.

• Upvote 1

I also see the some are uninstalling scenery and installing 3.2 scenery. Doesn't this mess up any add on scenery you may have like UT?

P3D v3 should have an auto-updater, it's 2016 LM :Shame On You:  :wink:  :mad:

How does one go about comparing files such as what carlito777 did?

I simply made a backup of the Prepar3D folder before running the updates and used the free program Winmerge to compare.

i7-10700K@5.0GHz ∣ Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z490-E Gaming ∣ 32Gb@3600MHz ∣ AMD Radeon 6900 XT

P3D v3 should have an auto-updater, it's 2016 LM

Ha ha ... yeah, 3rd party would just LOVE that feature ... ouch!  Double ouch to all the ASN, ObjectFlow, FSUIPC, Virtuali ... 3rd party support lines would be overwhelmed.  However it would be relatively easy for LM to implement if they didn't care at all about 3rd party providers, fortunately they do care.

Cheers, Rob.

Hi,

Still playing around with the lighting, brightness control still needs to be adjusted.

Nice video!

One question though, didn't you have the landing lights switched on? Because it was all dark in front of the aircraft even after you landed.

Former Beta Tester - (for a few companies) - As well as provide Regional Voice Set Recordings

Four-Intel I9/10900K | One-AMD-7950X3D | Three-Asus TUF 4090s | One-3090 | One-1080TI | Five-64GB DDR5 RAM 6000mhz | Five-Cosair 1300 P/S | Five-Pro900 2TB NVME        One-Eugenius ECS2512 / 2.5 GHz Switch | Five-Ice Giant Elite CPU Coolers | Three-75" 4K UHDTVs | One-24" 1080P Monitor | One-19" 1080P Monitor | One-Boeing 737NG Flight Deck

At the risk of getting pelters,am i right in thinking that if you update the scenery and have fsx global you have to run global again after updating the scenery msi?

So in short if i understand this right,if you decide to update contents and or scenery then ftx global needs to be reinstalled,if you own it.

Pete Little

That's exactly how I updated from 3.0 to 3.1 (complete update) and also now from 3.1 to 3.2 (complete update). Took me about one hour. Could not identify any problems from 3.0->3.1 and don't expect any from 3.1->3.2 update. Couldn't be easier.

May I ask, this is the first time I am doing an update instead of an entire clean install:

1) I have downloaded the new client 3.2.3.16769

2) I have uninstalled the "old" client 3.1.

3) I have run the new client installer 3.2.3.16769

...that all worked fine.

But what now please about the CONTENT?

I cannot just install the new CONTENT without uninstalling the old one first.

My only concern, is that the current (old) content 3.1 is 7.02GB in size as per my "programs & Features".

The new CONTENT 3.2...is only 2.9MB in size...so seriously smaller.

Thank you,

Rene

Nothing at all - dont change any settings works out of the box but if you have saitek device I would not load any of those drivers and let spad run at startup in sys tray - wont even know it there - your welcome

Hi Rich, what is Spad and what does it do..........Tx

Regards

Lamar Wright

But what now please about the CONTENT?

I cannot just install the new CONTENT without uninstalling the old one first.

My only concern, is that the current (old) content 3.1 is 7.02GB in size as per my "programs & Features".

The new CONTENT 3.2...is only 2.9MB in size...so seriously smaller.

The 2.9MB is the size of the Installer only.   When you Install Content the Installer will Install a larger size, up top 6 gig, So this is perfect  

The 2.9MB is the size of the Installer only.   When you Install Content the Installer will Install a larger size, up top 6 gig, So this is perfect  

Thank you, Poppet.

So I just uninstalled the old CONTENT 3.1.

I tried to run the new CONTENT 3.2, but then an error came saying: cannot find cont1.cab

So I dropped the new CONTENT 3.2 into my old install folder 3.1 (seperate HDD) and ran the setup again. In this folder, are all the previous files of the P3D 3.1 install, also the cont1.cab.

However, now it gives me this error: the file 1A02AF92046D01F7FF0B3D1C15640E41 cannot be installed because the file cannot be found in cabinet file cont1.cab.

Hmm...any suggestions on this one please?

EDIT: do I by chance have to download the new CONT1.CAB file too? Hmm...logic tells me so hahaha...hope that is the case, downloading the 1.61GB file now...oh please please please let this work :))))) Thank goodness its Friday...because any other day of the week, I would have to take the day off work :=)

It acts as a driver for your controllers also talks to FSUIPC somehow which I forgot to mention you need FSUIPC fot ir to work

Rich Sennett

It acts as a driver for your controllers also talks to FSUIPC somehow which I forgot to mention you need FSUIPC fot ir to work

Thank you...I have FSUIPC version 4.949 installed...I hope this will not mess up all my assignments :)

I do not suppose a new FSUIPC version is needed now?

As for updating to 3.2...I only need the Content & Client, is that correct?

The scenery needs no updating? I have all ORBX layers and FS Global Mesh...not sure if that is relevant.

Until ORBX has an update for us, I did edit the dll.xml :

<Name>ObjectFlow</Name>

<Disabled>True</Disabled>

Hi Rich, what is Spad and what does it do..........Tx

Trim wheel DOES NOT adjust. You have to spin the wheel 3 full times and the trim wheel moves 1/4 inch in the Aircraft. Does not matter what sensitivity I set it at. Using Max withn the SPAD setup but to no avail. Tried 3 different AC. One guy on their forum had the same problem and the response was well, almost foreign. I did not make sense.

Bob