Sign in to follow this  
cbtaylor

If one was going to reinstall a fresh copy of FSX...

So I did a factory reset to my trusty-ish Dell over the weekend and am contemplating what to do about FSX.  

First question is Boxed w/Acceleration or Steam?  I own both, but have never installed the Steam version.  I had the boxed version pretty well set with Steve's fixer and figure that everything else I own will be able to go right back on and work, so the bar is set pretty high.  I would be interested to hear any thoughts on the pros/cons of going with FSX-S, especially with some of the older A2A or PMDG installers for example.  I imagine it would be difficult to get updated installers without having to pay again.

Second question has to do with mesh.  I was using my somewhat dated FSGenesis mesh that I originally acquired for use with FS9 some time ago.  For the most part it worked pretty well, but there were a few anomalies in some areas.  Is there anything more recent that's better and/or more compatible with Orbx?

The last thing would be for any advice regarding what order to load everything back on so I avoid any potential conflicts with scenery (which could have been the source of those anomalies I mentioned).  That pretty much covers it.  Oh, and I'm not even considering reinstalling FS9.  I just don't see the point.

Thoughts?

Craig Taylor

Craig.png?dl=1

As for boxed vs Steam.. if you already own the boxed version, I would re-install it.

Functionally, there is no practical difference, and why go through the hassle of a

downloadable version, that likes to be connected to the Internet for use..

Also, Multiplayer is different as best I know..

I am on FSX Acceleration, and see no need to change.

Bert

I bought FSX-S as a backup should I have computer issues while traveling. Some will say that the Steam version is a bit smoother in operation but others have stuck with the boxed version for obvious reasons including "experience". I haven't installed -S but it's there if I need it.

Just one other thought. As a RTWR pilot, if you have room on the HD to conveniently hold a bare-bones FS9, I'd consider installing it. As FS9 is still a current Race platform it allows you to test aircraft ( esp as there are some minor performance differences, even in the White List.), verify that any race routes hit FS9-only/FSX-only or matched airports when it comes to team planning. As future recruits may also be FS9 pilots it gives you a platform to help them along in comparable conditions. If you have had FSNav, it's still a good tool to have handy.

Please deposit the 2-cent fee to the Exec Committee retirement fund. :wink:

Rob

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" anon.

Member | Executive Committee

Microsoft Flight Simulator Around-the-World Race

Unless you need the old FSX multiplayer functionality I'd say ditch it and go with SE.

Rolf Lindbom

wHDDh6t.jpg

FSX-Steam edition has been optimized "A BIT" compared to the boxed edition, everything that works in boxed edition should work in Steam, with a few exceptions like all reality xp stuff. Multiplayer is VERY different however so if you are joining the saturday multiplayer flights that Ron et al does you CANNOT join at all as the Steam edition removed all the gamehost stuff and installed their own steam client.  For the RTW, I find it works just fine, you DO NOT NEED a 100% uptime on your internet connection, it will work offline if needed but obviously for updates and such it does need an internet connection.

At the end of the day, it is up to you.  A2A / PMDG stuff all works perfectly in the steam edition.  As for installers, most of them will find your FSX if its the ONLY Fsx on your machine, if you have both boxed and steam you may run into difficulties.  Also, if you do plan to install boxed and steam, install steam AFTER boxed or else it screws everything up.

Try it out, see what happens, it really is your mileage may vary and my own experiences may differ from yours.

Have fun.

spacer.png

As for boxed vs Steam.. if you already own the boxed version, I would re-install it.

Functionally, there is no practical difference, and why go through the hassle of a

downloadable version, that likes to be connected to the Internet for use..

Also, Multiplayer is different as best I know..

I am on FSX Acceleration, and see no need to change.

You don't need an internet connection to run FSX:SE, just to install it. Also, I'd consider the boxed version to be much more of a hassle due to the need to switch discs, install acceleration with a new disc, enter the serial key to register it, etc. With steam, you click 'install' and go about your business for a few hours until it's done, that's it. 

Thanks for all the comments on boxed vs Steam.  Eammon's advice to consider the Saturday flights with Ron and the gang was an excellent point.

So the next question is what mesh to use...

Craig Taylor

Craig.png?dl=1

Thanks for linking that thread, Roman.  It looks very promising.

Craig Taylor

Craig.png?dl=1