Sign in to follow this  
tjrush

Entering G100 Flight Plan Problems

Running Win10 (64) - FSX Acceleration

Having trouble entering a flight plan in the G1000.  I enter starting airport and continue with waypoints. When I get to the point where the flight plan need to scroll up so that I may enter another waypoint at the bottom, the starting airport disappears.  I continue entering waypoints 'til the end then go back to the top and add the starting airport.  At this point I am unable to save the flight plan. If I press the menu button, nothing happens.  How do you save the flight plan?

I note there is a choice to load an airway. However, when I press the button, I'm asked for a country code.  What is the code for the United States?  

Tom

Dutch:

I have Bert's mods but, first,  I want to try what I paid for from Carenado.

Tom

Hello tjrush

I have a situation close to yours. I also have the GTN 750 installed in the 300 and it working fine but I wanted to try the G1000 just for the fun of it...something to try, but I am not able to enter a flight plan in the system. I have a post http://www.avsim.com/topic/481818-procedures-options-not-selectable/ on the third page of this section explaining my situation but no has responded. Wondering if you have had any success with your problem or any ideas.  I have not used this plane in FSX much as of late due to the lack of time and from also putting some time into the aerosoft airbus extended ... trying to get more familiar with it as well.  I enjoy the Phenom 300 and the airbus and hope to get comfortable with both.

You cannot save a flight plan in the Carenado G1000.  I bought the Navigraph package and have the Navigraph G1000 guide. The product also has a very good 33 page Carenado G1000 guide. The Navigraph G1000 guide consists of 7 pages but it provides a pretty good tutorial starting on page 5.  What I do is go to the FPL page. I set up the departure airport first and the hit ENT (this is the most important part of setting up a flight plan).  I then move the cursor down to the next waypoint and setup the arrival airport and then hit ENT.  I then click on PROC and then select my departure and that will give me a SID to select.  Once I select the one I want I move down to the takeoff runway and select that, and then select a transition.  Unfortunately, Navigraph said I must select a transition so I select whatever is there (so far I have not found a 'none' option).  I then go all the way down to the bottom and highlight Load and click ENT.  The plan is there to the start of the STAR.  I'll then go in and remove the transition waypoint.  I sometimes select the STAR before I takeoff. 

Having the Navigraph addon from Carenado is nice in that you do not have to enter waypoints most of the time and just select a SID and then a STAR, a takeoff runway and a landing runway.  Is this real life?  I doubt it but close. 

I'm not sure if placing the GTN 750 into this product is wise.  Is that done in real life too?  You can save flight plans and load flight plans but so what?  It's not realistic IMHO.  I say learn the nav system that comes with the aircraft and product.  It works if you know how to use it (but you cannot save flight plans or import flight plans and I totally agree Carenado should have included this with their product).

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Jim,

While I agree with you about using what comes with the plane, sometimes it is just more trouble than it's worth.  Here is a simple flight plan from KTEB to KORF:

KTEB ELVAE COL WHITE J209 SBY V1 CCV KORF

I have no problem entering KTEB ELVAE COL WHITE KORF or KTEB ELVAE COL KORF   Either way I am unable to enter the airway from WHITE to SBY.  Everything I try results in the waypoints along the airway being inserted in the flight plan alternating with the existing waypoints.  Please let me know if you can enter this plan  and, if so, how.

Another problem I had and I might have done something wrong but I don't think so.  I flew to KIRS and selected an LPV approach to runway 36.  I received no vertical guidance from the Carenado G1000,  I reflew using Flight 1 and had no problem.  Does the Carenado G1000 provide vertical guidance on LPV approaches?

Tom

Jim,

While I agree with you about using what comes with the plane, sometimes it is just more trouble than it's worth.  Here is a simple flight plan from KTEB to KORF:

KTEB ELVAE COL WHITE J209 SBY V1 CCV KORF

I have no problem entering KTEB ELVAE COL WHITE KORF or KTEB ELVAE COL KORF   Either way I am unable to enter the airway from WHITE to SBY.  Everything I try results in the waypoints along the airway being inserted in the flight plan alternating with the existing waypoints.  Please let me know if you can enter this plan  and, if so, how.

Another problem I had and I might have done something wrong but I don't think so.  I flew to KIRS and selected an LPV approach to runway 36.  I received no vertical guidance from the Carenado G1000,  I reflew using Flight 1 and had no problem.  Does the Carenado G1000 provide vertical guidance on LPV approaches?

Did you see my reply to your post in the other thread concerning entering airway routing?

http://www.avsim.com/topic/485012-anyone-using-the-g1000/

Your flight plan above works but you will need to reference three different manuals to do so.  The two Carenado manuals and the actual manual I provide a link to.

If you need further help let me know.

Todd

Todd:

I have read the docs and am apparently doing something wrong. If you would like to provide step by step instructions on entering the above flight plan, I would very much appreciate it.  However, I am through going through the supplied docs.  

Tom

Tom:

After considerable trial and error I have discovered something.  The Carenado Phenom 300 wants you to enter the airway routing before the individual waypoints.  I will assume you know how to enter a flight plan and which inner and outer FMS knobs to rotate.

1. Position yourself at KTEB airport.

2. Press PROC button.

3. Use the FMS knob and scroll to Select Departure and Press ENT.  The Airport window should now display.

4. Select your Departure and Rwy.  I selected DALTO2 and RWY19. Scroll to Load and press ENT.

5. Now press PROC again and Select Arrival.  Enter in KORF in the keypad.

6. Select an Arrival and Transition if necessary.  I selected the DRONE1 Arrival and the ISO Transition.  Press ENT twice to load the arrival.

7. You now have a direct flight plan from Teterboro to Norfolk.

8. Now you will enter the flight plan.

9. Press FPL. Rotate the outer knob until Arrival – KORF-ISO.DRONE1 is highlighted and flashing.

10. Rotate the FMS inner knob once and you will see LD AIRWAY appear at the bottom right select key.  Select LD AIRWAY.

11. In the Entry field enter WHITE.  Press ENT.  You should see J209 appear in the Airway field.  Now move the cursor to the Exit field and select SBY.

12. Press ENT twice and that airway segment will be loaded into the flight plan.  You will see a new flight plan group labeled Airway - WHITE.SBY.

13. Now move the cursor to Arrival - KORF-ISO.DRONE1.

14. Rotate the FMS inner knob once and then select the LD AIRWAY button.

15. When you select LD AIRWAY this time SBY will already be in the Entry field.  The Airway field will be highlighted and flashing with J209.  You want to change the Airway to V1.

16. Rotate the FMS inner knob until the second V1 is displayed in the Airway field.  The first V1 choice goes northbound from SBY and the second one will go southbound.  If you have done this correctly you will initially see MAGGO in the Exit field.  Rotate the FMS inner knob until CCV is displayed and press ENT twice to load.

17. Now the flight plan airway group will say Airway - WHITE.CCV

18. You will now see MAGGO highlighted in the flight plan.  Now move the cursor up until Airway - WHITE.CCV is highlighted.

19. Now enter in your first two waypoints ELVAE and COL into the flight plan.  Remember to always highlight Airway - WHITE.CCV as this will enter the waypoints before the airway group.

You should now have a functional flight plan.  It seems that if it is done any other way you will get the first two waypoints mixed in with the airway routing.

So to sum up you have to enter the Departure and Arrival airports first then any optional Airway routing and then insert your individual waypoints.

Todd

Todd,

Thanks for taking the time to do the above.  Now, if you're interested in some more trial and error . . .

After you enter the flight plan above, if you look at the plan it appears to have added a single airway from WHITE to CCV.  This made me fear that I would have trouble with my current flight. And I did. Try this

CYTZ PIKSA Q917 WOZEE DCT SFK03 J220 MICAH KEMV

I have been unable to figure out how jump from WOZEE to SFK03.

Tom

It looks like you can only enter one airway group which can include multiple connected airways but multiple disconnected airways don't seem to be possible on the Carenado Phenom 300.

I was able to enter either one of your airways in your flight plan separately so you can enter the SFK03 J220 MICAH leg using LD AIRWAYS and then the PIKSA Q917 WOZEE by manually inserting the waypoints above the Airway - SFK03.MICAH entry.  There is only one other waypoint between PIKSA and WOZEE.

The airway entry function makes entering a flight plan faster but manually entering the waypoints of an airway works also.

BTW my parents hometown was the town where KEMV is located.

Todd 

BTW my parents hometown was the town where KEMV is located.

Interesting. For me KEMV was just an airport that I haven't flown to.

Again, thanks for taking the time to help.  However, the difficulty of entering a flight plan and the lack of vertical guidance on LPV approaches has led me to the conclusion to go with the GTN mods.  Especially since I already own the Flight 1 GTN.

Tom

You should now have a functional flight plan. It seems that if it is done any other way you will get the first two waypoints mixed in with the airway routing.
So to sum up you have to enter the Departure and Arrival airports first then any optional Airway routing and then insert your individual waypoints.

Thanks Todd for the in-depth explanation.  I learned some new things from it.  I have always done it in the reverse from your guidance.  Hit FPL first and enter the departure/arrival airports and then use the PROC to enter the rest.  I will have to try your method on the next flight.  I do know it is good we cannot save a flight plan as then it would be harder to learn how to use the outer and inner knobs.  :smile:

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10