Sign in to follow this  
Dragonmount

A minor problem I have with being realistic with NAVDATA

FSX's runways never change angles, they never change numbers or anything like that, but I will use JFK as an example. I just landed my NGX, and it kept trying to tell me that the runway I was landing at  cut across the entire airport, when it did not.  It's not a big deal, but it does irk me when I find out that my PMDG aircraft won't even recognize an airport anymore even though it's still in FSX. I'm not going to hunt through files to make FSX agree with PMDG. It's annoying to find out half way through a landing that the ILS isn't aligned properly.

Patrick Boynton

I'm not going to hunt through files to make FSX agree with PMDG.

Then don't update the Nav Data. You're not making FSX agree with PMDG data. You're making FSX agree with real world data. If your sim is still using decade old scenery, then there's nothing we can do about that. That's all on you.

Kyle Rodgers

FSX's runways never change angles, they never change numbers or anything like that, but I will use JFK as an example. I just landed my NGX, and it kept trying to tell me that the runway I was landing at  cut across the entire airport, when it did not.  It's not a big deal, but it does irk me when I find out that my PMDG aircraft won't even recognize an airport anymore even though it's still in FSX. I'm not going to hunt through files to make FSX agree with PMDG. It's annoying to find out half way through a landing that the ILS isn't aligned properly.

Patrick Boynton

Your example at JFK should have provided at least the runway and ILS you had problems with, which would have allowed a complete answer.  First of all, FSX never changes but the world does. Even runway numbers change.  JFK had an offset localizer at one time that probably still exist in FSX.

It is annoying to find that the ILS isn't as expected but there are reasons for that, chief being a 10+ yr old navigation simulation. I've also found plenty of runways not available in FSX because they runways have been built in the past 10 years. It is always a good idea to do some preflight planning and checking, it's easy to verify the runways and navaids before you start a flight.

Dan Downs KCRP

Patrick,

Ray Smith does excellent freeware sceneries (available on AVSIM) for most of the major airports in the world.  They use default FSX scenery items so his sceneries are very easy on frame rates.  It takes all of about a minute to load Ray's scenery into FSX. 

blaustern

I Earned My Spurs in Vietnam

Download recently made AFCADs for all the airports you fly to. These simply update runways, navaids, and taxiways to match new charts and nav data.

Kashif Eizdi

And sometimes taxiway markings get changed as well. Case in point, RJAA which I rarely use. A few days ago I was attempting to navigate the taxiways at night following the latest Navigraph chart and got hopelessly lost. Why? Because in the real world, RJAA significantly changed its taxiway markings a couple of years ago. The FSX default RJAA, even with Ray smith's update, still reflects the earlier and very different taxiway markings.

Regards,

Claude Franklin

Claude,

I'm about to start the AFCAD update for RJAA. I will move it ahead of another project. I will take the default RJAA and fix the Runways, Taxiways and Taxiway signs first then upload it. This will take about 40 hours of work.

I will come back later and fix the terminals, parking spots and ramps.

Sorry about the delay.

blaustern

I Earned My Spurs in Vietnam

I'm about to start the AFCAD update for RJAA
Why don't you do a file that corrects the ATIS from 118.4 to 135.5 for Aerosoft's PANC. 118.4 is for the FSX default airport.

Wilhelm, Thanks, however no hurry for me. I happen to have an old RJAA Jeppesen chart dated June 2008 that reflects the FSX default markings.

Regards,

Claude Franklin

Is it easy to update AFCAD data? If that's the case, I could just plug and play.

Patrick Boynton

Reads this one statement:

'Is it easy to update AFCAD data? If that's the case, I could just plug and play.'

& receives absolute affirmation why he does not come here very often :vava:

Is the 747v2 ready?

No.

Bye.

• Upvote 1

Steve Bell

"Wise men talk because they have something to say.  Fools talk because they have to say something." - Plato (latterly attributed to Saul Bellow)

The most useful tool on the AVSIM Fora ... 'Mark forum as read'

I believe that this site will help solve your problem.  It is free, and not too complicated as long as you read the instructions carefully.

http://www.aero.sors.fr/navaids.html

Andrew Jones

That actually did the trick. Now it seems as though at least some of the major things are up to date. Is it possible to add some of the hidden Orbx airports in the default menu?  (I have not tried other than one flight will try other airports soon)