Sign in to follow this  
thestuntman

Simstarter not modifying scenery.cfg

I have had an issue where SIMstarter will not modify the scenery.cfg file no matter what profile or scenery sets I choose.

scenery_lastSIMstarterProfileRun.cfg is being written correctly, but it is not being copied over to scenery.cfg.

I have a feeling it may have to do with the OrbX region switching

Hi,

please:

- post the SIMstarter.log file

- tell me which version of SIMstarter you are using

: : : aviation.pero-online.de
Developer of SIMstarter NG P3D & Homecockpit Builder

The log file is empty, even though debugging is turned on in the options.

I am using version 2.7.4. Every one of the User Profile .cfg files in the SIMStarter\Uer Profiles folder. (PREPAR3Dprofile02_config.cfg for example) is pointing to the same scenery set .cfg file (scenerySet=PREPAR3Dscenery1.cfg;), and that file has the Mastery Scenery set which is everything that I have installed which is not what I want.

I'm not sure why this is as every profile is setup differently. I tried deleting all the User Profiles .cfg files and all my profiles are still there. Is there another folder where they are stored?

Edit: Running as administrator recreated all the .cfg files I deleted as a test in the SIMStarter\User Profiles folder, but I have no scenery sets or anything saved. If I run as a normal user, my sets are still there but the program does not modify scenery.cfg again.

I had the same problem, but I don't remember 100% how I fixed it. I think, I went into the settings where you can specify the path to the scenery.cfg. Even though the path was in there correctly, it still didn't work. As far as I remember, I went into the context menu for the path and simply set the path again (to the same location) and then it worked. But as I said, I'm not 100% sure if this was the solution. But there was a rather easy fix for it. Maybe you can give it a try...

i7-10700K@5.0GHz ∣ Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z490-E Gaming ∣ 32Gb@3600MHz ∣ AMD Radeon 6900 XT

Strange. I never heared about such issues before. Please send me:

- folder ".\Userprofiles"

- file "SIMstarter.ini"

- file "SIMstarter.log"

in a zip file to my email adress. You'll find it clicking "About" in SIMstarter.

I'll do that as soon as I get home. I did find out that SIMstarted was using C:\Users\Josh\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\SIMstarter as it's root folder instead of c:\Program Files (x86)\SIMstarter. Running it as Administrator worked after i copied the profiles over to the correct folder.

I have moved SIMstarter out of Program Files and onto my D drive but now I get an error saying "Access to the path "C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3d v3\Simobjects.cfg is denied". I've never had this before so somewhere along the line my permissions have been messed up. I haven't changed anything to do with permissions so it must have happened when running SIMstarter as admin. When P3D loads it is not using the modified scenery.cfg file again either. It uses the one in the VirtualStore folder unless i run as admin.

Strange one. I never got such an error since the beginning of SIMstarter.

The "Virtual Store" error indicates, that this happend because of the installation path and active UAC within window.

To prevent such errors you should move SIMstarter outside of "C:\Program Files (x86)" what you have done now.

The current error looks like a permission problem. So please double check the permissions and run SIMstarter with administrator rights.

If all this does not work please wait until SIMstarter NG comes up (soon, whatever that means). I won't spend any time debugging SIMstarter because every free times goes to SIMstarter NG.

Which P3Dv3 version are you using? v3.2 is not supportet with SIMstarter. NG will for sure.