Sign in to follow this  
jason99vmi

P3D v3.2 Settings

I guess I will start this inevitable thread. On the other thread some mentioned not needing SGSS anymore and others stating they still needed it.

Installed v3.2 Client and Content.

I turned off NI putting it back to default settings and just set Nvidia Control panel slider to Quality. Left my settings in P3D the same with 4x MSAA TF at Ani 16x and FXAA off.

Did a few test flights. The AA is improved especially with Scenery and Addon Scenery. BUT AA on aircraft had all kinds of jaggy lines on wings and seams.

FPS was great but the caveat is that ASN was not running obviously.

Do we still need some SGSS setting or is there another setting to clean this bit of AA up?

My System:

i7-4790K 4.0 GHz

GIGABYTE Z97X-SLI ATX

EVGA Superclocked NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 2GB

256GB SSD for P3D

1TB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 32MB Cache 7200RPM HDD

120GB Samsung 840 EVO Series SATA-III SSD

Jason Weaver - WestWind Airlines; FlyUK Airlines; VirtualUnited.org

5.jpg

Banner_MJC12.png

Jason,

I was seeing the same results as you last night testing 3.2 when turning off SGSS altogether. I run native 1080p on a 42inch monitor so AA is very important in my case.

I decided to give DSR a try and I have never been happier with my setup!

If you go to the Nvidia control panel, under global settings, turn on DSR to 2.0x and default smoothness of 33%. Then launch P3D, and under the resolution setting you will now see a higher maximum resolution to select (being made available by DSR).

I left my P3D settings at 16xAF, 8xMSAA. 

My AA is as good or better than when using 4xSGSS and 4x(or 8x)MSAA, and most importantly, when flying in heavy clouds etc. where 4xSGSS would result in stutters/fps loss on my GTX780 6GB (and pretty much any other card) I now do not suffer from any loss in performance.

Give it a try!

Do we still need some SGSS setting

My thoughts would be yes - thats what I am doing at the moment - but with the new performance of P3D doesnt really matter much - fps are the same

Rich Sennett

...thought you guys would be on 4K by now, especially you Richard to take full advantage of your system...  

mustang_banner_newstar2777.png

...thought you guys would be on 4K by now, especially you Richard to take full advantage of your system...  

Not yet - trying to get my head above water after the cost of my pc - hopefully soon - I have my eye on a 4k Korean model thats more geared to pc gaming 

Rich Sennett

...cool..  would save you a lot of hassle with AA SGSS NI and all that nonsense

...cool..  would save you a lot of hassle with AA SGSS NI and all that nonsense

Thats great to know - cant wait

Rich Sennett

Not yet - trying to get my head above water after the cost of my pc - hopefully soon - I have my eye on a 4k Korean model thats more geared to pc gaming

I ditched my 2 970gtx sli and grabbed an Asus strix 980ti oc, paired it with a 60htz Samsung 4k monitor, and 3.1 is so smooth locked at 30 fps, visuals are incredible, AA turned way down, and I'm not even on 3.2 yet. In short, 4k- winwinwinwin, do it as soon as you can, it's mind blowing.

...just got my 980 TI zotac amp extreme,  that along with the 40" 4K TV/monitor ....   Wow!

I ditched my 2 970gtx sli and grabbed an Asus strix 980ti oc, paired it with a 60htz Samsung 4k monitor, and 3.1 is so smooth locked at 30 fps, visuals are incredible, AA turned way down, and I'm not even on 3.2 yet. In short, 4k- winwinwinwin, do it as soon as you can, it's mind blowing.

Awesome now you got me thinking big time

Rich Sennett

I will give DSR a try again. I tried it once with FSX and didn't like it. Yeah I can't afford a 4k right now either so will need to tweak it I guess. I'm really curious to see what the FPS in clouds/weather conditions will be. Previously my Aerosoft Airbus would fluctuate wildly on ground and thru clouds until getting above clouds.

Jason Weaver - WestWind Airlines; FlyUK Airlines; VirtualUnited.org

5.jpg

Banner_MJC12.png

Awesome now you got me thinking big time

It was a no brainier, I found the 28 inch Samsung on Craigslist for 250, retail is 500. Majestic q400 locked at thirty on approach to flightbeam KIAD, even with global vector installed! I will never go back to 1080 or 1440!

don't get less than 40"  .... I reckon 40-55 maybe even 60" depending how far away you sit etc....   leaning over to the side to read something like web pages or documents etc when you're not using the sim is a limiting factor   anyway   you'll wonder why you didn't do it earlier...   

Be careful if you are thinking a large 4K display will fix your AA issues.  

I upgraded to a 50in 4K tv a few weeks ago.  I assumed that the higher 4K resolution would somewhat cure the jagged edges from planes/runway taxiway markings, light poles, etc. At least much more than the 37in LCDTV which I ran in DSR 2x.  Turns out I was wrong.   due to the increase in size of the display, jagged edges are even more pronounced thus requiring SGSAA in order to smooth things out again.  I sit about 3-3 1/2 feet away from the tv (which to me is similar to sitting in front of the panel of a real plane) and is also the reason why I see all of the shimmering lines.

Per Rob A's advice, I tried MSAA (both 4x and 8x) without SGSAA and jagged edges were too noticeable for my liking, performance was great however.  I am now trying 8x MSAA + 2x SGSAA (NI) which to me is not much different than 4x MSAA + 4x SGSAA (no go if you're like me and like dense clouds).  

it's all personal preference.  I get annoyed when I see shimmering and focus on it rather than the simulation which degrades my experience to a slight degree.  In the end I have to look at the big picture and be thankful for the P3D platform and the hardware that I have to make it perform.

Brian Riggs

PPL 2001

Be careful if you are thinking a large 4K display will fix your AA issues.  

Interesting - thats what I would be afraid of and thought the same as you - the perfect cure - hmmm

Interesting aa setting - I am going to try that for sure - thanks

I am looking at a 40" screen thats more than enough for me - may be better with the 40" compared to that large 50" you have

Rich Sennett