Sign in to follow this  
jason99vmi

P3D v3.2 Settings

....sorry to hear about the jagged edges etc your experiencing Brian with mine I have no NI or special settings set up... only the settings in P3Dv3....  FXAA-off  MSAA-4 Samples Text Filt-Anis0-4x Text Res-4096x4096 ...thats it and picture is great rock solid virtually no shimmering and no jaggys   except very thin poles or aerials in the far distance sometimes, depends which scenery, in the overall picture not noticeable unless you go looking for them, 

It's a Samsung TV but not an OLED or anything fancy it is a relatively cheap model but it set P3D on fire.....

mustang_banner_newstar2777.png

Tried the DSR x2.0 with smoothness at 33% and the higher res in P3D, but it felt a little too blurry almost. Going to play around with it some more tonight. I'm running on an ancient GTX670 oc'd to 1202Mhz though :|

Increase the size while increasing the resolution wouldn't make any difference, the 4K (if we talk exclusively as a way to avoid to use the antialiasing) will make the edges 4X smoother than a 1080p monitor (because it's 4x the that resolution) but only if the monitor size remains the same (the math isn't an opinion). While, if you switch (in example) from a 24" 1080p monitor to an hypothetical 50" 4K monitor the picture on the second will be bigger but it will look identical (in terms of sharpness) to the first one.

A small 4K monitor will save you to use a good chunk of AA (if not to totally get rid of it), a bigger screen will make no difference (if not in size), and in terms of quality it will be even worse, because normally above 34" (ultrawide) monitors there's nothing, and you'll buy a TV, that can be as good as you want but it will remain a TV (it will still far away in terms of quality of any monitor out there.. including the low entry ones).

Whoever is saying: i had a 24" 1080p monitor, and now I have a 4k 50" TV and I don't need the AA anymore... I call it BS.

Increase the size while increasing the resolution wouldn't make any difference, the 4K (if we talk exclusively as a way to avoid to use the antialiasing) will make the edges 4X smoother than a 1080p monitor (because it's 4x the that resolution) but only if the monitor size remains the same (the math isn't an opinion). While, if you switch (in example) from a 24" 1080p monitor to an hypothetical 50" 4K monitor the picture on the second will be bigger but it will look identical (in terms of sharpness) to the first one.

24" Monitor x 4 =   96"   does that mean equivalent resolution (4K) is same at that size ?     If so then 50" Monitor will still be nearly twice resolution ? With the advantage of all that extra real estate giving better immersion.... ?

...or do you just mutiply by 2x for increased real  estate ?

24" Monitor x 4 =   96"   does that mean equivalent resolution (4K) is same at that size ?     If so then 50" Monitor will still be nearly twice resolution ? With the advantage of all that extra real estate giving better immersion.... ?

Nope, the inches are measured diagonally, so a 48" is four times the size of a 24": four 24" 1080p monitors, placed next to each other on two rows will form (for both size and resolution.. if we ignore the external frame) a 48" 4K screen.

...ok .  I still find it vastly better than my 24"  even looking at it real close, it looks great. The immersion makes a huge difference and feel I should have gone for larger....

I don't doubt about it... when you say: bigger is better. :)

I was just talking about the antialiasing improvement going to bigger resolutions... that is the same concept behind the super-sampling.

thought you guys would be on 4K by now, especially you Richard to take full advantage of your system

I harass him frequently to get on the 4K 30Hz wagon ... he "almost" did once ... probably spends all his money on premium gas to keep his Vette happy. ;)

Cheers, Rob.

I harass him frequently to get on the 4K 30Hz wagon ... he "almost" did once ... probably spends all his money on premium gas to keep his Vette happy. ;)

Cheers, Rob.

after getting the larger screen I realise just how important an upgrade it is, and not just for flightsim. Makes using the PC altogether better...

.... by the way, why do mention 30Hz , Rob.  I know your an expert on all things Flightsim and wondering if that has a special reason ...  I've got mine at 60Hz is there a downside to that ?

.....wouldn't mind a right hand drive 'vette though...

e careful if you are thinking a large 4K display will fix your AA issues.

I upgraded to a 50in 4K tv a few weeks ago. I assumed that the higher 4K resolution would somewhat cure the jagged edges from planes/runway taxiway markings, light poles, etc. At least much more than the 37in LCDTV which I ran in DSR 2x. Turns out I was wrong. due to the increase in size of the display, jagged edges are even more pronounced thus requiring SGSAA in order to smooth things out again

My experience has been very different. I just purchased a Samsung 55' 4K TV and will never go back. Although the 4K display does not eliminate all shimmering and all jagged edges, it is a marked improvement - and probably the best thing you can do without a graphics card upgrade. The jagged edges are very subtle and NOT so noticeable (for me) because the image is much larger.

Also, going bigger (screen wise) is always better.    Some people will throw shedloads of money at everything flightsim related including the PC itself, but fly on 24-30' monitors.I don't get that.   It is a massive uplift in immersion.

Congrats! I was near to buy a 4k screen as well, in particular to see the differences in fluency @ 30 Hz vs. 60 Hz. Currently I am on 1440p, but hold back until the exciting VR glasses come out.

Regards,

Chris

--

13900K, Gigabyte Geforce RTX 4090, 32GB DDR5 RAM, Asus Rog Swift PG348Q G-SYNC 1440p monitor, Varjo Aero/Pico 4 VR

Cheers, Rob.

I'm a slow learner Rob but you know that  :wink:

Rich Sennett

Also, going bigger (screen wise) is always better.    Some people will throw shedloads of money at everything flightsim related including the PC itself, but fly on 24-30' monitors.I don't get that.   It is a massive uplift in immersion.

Quite frankly I don't get 'going bigger is always better'.  Are you sitting the same distance now from where you would with a 24-30" screen?  If that's the case, you're having to push a bunch more pixels to get the same image quality and you now get to move your eyes or turn your head.  That's a good thing?  If you've moved the screen farther away then quickly it becomes essentially a wash.  The only change I would consider on going larger and 4K would be to get one of the new curved screens perhaps.   I can see where that might improve immersion, but a large flat screen doesn't make sense to me especially if you're sitting farther away.  Seems like if and when Oculus is ready that will go miles more towards immersion, though I still can't imagine how you grapple w/ keyboard/controls on a VR device.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Quite frankly I don't get 'going bigger is always better'. Are you sitting the same distance now from where you would with a 24-30" screen? If that's the case, you're having to push a bunch more pixels to get the same image quality and you now get to move your eyes or turn your head. That's a good thing? If you've moved the screen farther away then quickly it becomes essentially a wash. The only change I would consider on going larger and 4K would be to get one of the new curved screens perhaps. I can see where that might improve immersion, but a large flat screen doesn't make sense to me especially if you're sitting farther away. Seems like if and when Oculus is ready that will go miles more towards immersion, though I still can't imagine how you grapple w/ keyboard/controls on a VR device.

Nope, Sitting exactly the same distance from the screen is I was from my 19' monitor 15 years ago. The quality is really very good on 4K in my opinion and better than any previous monitor I've ever had. (and I thought they were amazing too)

To each his own.  Perhaps pushing it beyond 55' would bring diminishing returns, but 55' definitely is a WOW factor at 4k.  VC flying in the 777 or 737 is amazing - particularly at night

Wrap around concave screen maybe, but even that I'd be looking smaller than 55".   I have a 55" flat screen TV and sit 8 feet from it for TV/movies.  Sitting directly in front of it, maybe 24" away, sounds awful quite frankly.  You're happy though which is the main thing for you ;o)

Here you go for your next upgrade:

Screen%20Shot%202016-03-11%20at%209.01.4

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X